Stop using .tbn files...
That would be my suggestion:

Stop using .tbn as image extension. There can not be an advantage to using it that isn't done even better by a different format.
Besides that, it would also make my x Gb fanart library available for other purposes.
Simplify modding. Let novices sort and add what they want, ect.

Seriously. I'm not even asking for myself, i'd maybe win 5 min here and there.
But it's just a relic from the xbox. Time to move on.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
In the nightly builds everything seems to be using jpg extension. This might change when more work is done for the texture cache by Jmarshall.
I'm not sure if you know this already but .tbn files are just plain, ole jpeg images with a different extension. You can use the reg hack found on the forums here (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81319) in order to get Windows to display them.

As Toiva said though, AFAIK all of the modified extensions will be dropped in Frodo. Hopefully this will extend to .nfo files as well but that's wishful thinking on my part.
Leftovers from the original Xbox days, IIRC.
@Sranshaft
Yeah i knew. And like i said, it wasn't as much for me as for people wanting to easily change something in their skin, who don't work with images all day.
@toiva
That would be awesome if that were true. I'll have to ask him nicely to see if it can be finished in final.

I'm hoping that this will for example create a new kind of skinners. That will start swapping out black bars/icons ect and replacing them with awesome visuals. Or drawing mustaches on their FanArt. Scan in their kids school drawings, ect. You know, just make it easy for people to have fun.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2012-07-04, 21:24)MassIV Wrote: I'm hoping that this will for example create a new kind of skinners. That will start swapping out black bars/icons ect and replacing them with awesome visuals. Or drawing mustaches on their FanArt. Scan in their kids school drawings, ect. You know, just make it easy for people to have fun.

what are you talking about?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-07-04, 21:24)MassIV Wrote: I'm hoping that this will for example create a new kind of skinners. That will start swapping out black bars/icons ect and replacing them with awesome visuals. Or drawing mustaches on their FanArt. Scan in their kids school drawings, ect. You know, just make it easy for people to have fun.

I do all kinds of silly things when I get smoked but haven't tried posting to forums yet Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hey i'm not even that high...

Cmon, if they are all jpg anyone can do anything to them. I was just trying to write it down in a funny way.

And i will be doing mustaches on my FanArt soon, mark my words.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
(2012-07-04, 22:33)MassIV Wrote: Hey i'm not even that high...

Cmon, if they are all jpg anyone can do anything to them. I was just trying to write it down in a funny way.

And i will be doing mustaches on my FanArt soon, mark my words.

Still not talking any sence here
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I think he still didn't get that the .tbn files are just JPG images. You can open them with photoshop or with paint or gimp or whatever you use, draw all the mustaches you want and save them and it will work even though the extension is .tbn and not .jpg.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-07-04, 23:03)Montellese Wrote: I think he still didn't get that the .tbn files are just JPG images. You can open them with photoshop or with paint or gimp or whatever you use, draw all the mustaches you want and save them and it will work even though the extension is .tbn and not .jpg.

No i know that.
I also said 2 times already that it's not for myself that i asked this.
It will just be more accessible to everyone and easy to browse and find ect.
I'm hoping that some new people that never changed anything in a skin might start with a .jpg because they know that already.

Maybe you guys forget how much others don't know about this program.

Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Quote:Maybe you guys forget how much others don't know about this program.
I'm pretty sure the skinners know a lot about changing the look of XBMC and so probably know about tbn.

And new people who are changing stuff in the skin will come accross either jpg/png or xbt. Probably not tbn.

That said - loving this thread, made me chuckle Smile

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
Yes, I am also pretty sure skinners will know about .tbn.
And yes others with html, xml, php, ect experience won't be intimidated by having a look around in the code.
But your mom/aunt/sister/neighbor isn't going to go there is she/he. Do you guys really only have IT people around you all the time?
The users we have right now that would not attempt changing things, unless maybe they find a folder with jpg's.

Just saying, if i don't see people drawing mustaches on their FanArt, something is wrong.
Something is stopping them. ;p
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
your the first I've heard of that does the mustaches on fanart (and I am around Technologically Retarded people).

My 89 year old grandmother understood that the only difference between .tbn and .jpg was that the file extension was different.

If the users you're around can't understand that, you need to explain it to them better, not make the devs change what they use.
I think the devs are really thankful that you are speaking up for them.
The mustaches are obviously a metaphorical example. As are the people around me i referred to, just as example of the kind of people (Not as people actually around me that i could help). And i am unsure why people feel that Mustaches are the most important part to comment on. Even though i think it is still funny that they do.

Specially because i started with:
There can not be an advantage to using it that isn't done even better by a different format.
Besides that, it would also make my x Gb fanart library available for other purposes.
Simplify modding. Let novices sort and add what they want, ect (Later given the metaphorical example of the mustache).

(The last clearly my least important point)

Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stop using .tbn files...0