Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-01-06, 22:13)hdmkv Wrote: By kludgy, I meant felt like using a desktop PC vs. a set-top box. But, was few years ago & under Win7 like I mentioned. I skimmed over your guide in your signature again; what HTPC do you use? And, yes, if you can provide info., I'd like to compile a short-list of recommended HTPC's capable of full 3D + reliable HD audio (under Win10). Thanks.

A list? Any windows unit sold on the shelf today will work and so will the ones purchased years ago. Install Kodi. (Install PDVD only if you want perfect 3DMVC using full disc copy). Plug in your peripherals. Done. Personally, my rig is built from scavenged parts about 10 years old and going strong and completely reliable. I'm just suggesting an inexpensive diy alternative vs little preloaded boxes for those that already have a windows machine. I can't exactly supply you with preloaded ready to go suggestions as that defeats the whole point. As for adding to your chart list of Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio: How about:

Windows Platforms:
Cons:
You have to install Kodi yourself. It's free open source and well maintained.
You have to check if your rig has an HDMI port. If it does, you can play 3D and HD audio with passthrough.
If you desire full on Frame packed 3DMVC using a complete disc rip, you have to spend $50 and buy an external player, otherwise it will render SBS, TAB, mkv rips, etc just fine without it.
If your PC is not booted, there will be extra wait time.
Some users report a "Kludgy feel" compared to a true set top box feel.
Depending on what your windows unit is and how you have it adjusted, it may be too noisy while listening to your media.
Additional features like a remote control and a hub for it are an additional expense if you don't happen to have one laying around but a mouse and/or keyboard work just fine.
Additional features, not required, but desired, will have to be installed manually and are only limited by your imagination and not those of a hardware manufacturers limited vision or capability. Easy instructions are prevalent.
Nothing about a windows diy project is going to be plug and play and requires some time and dedication beyond the basics, unless you're perfectly ok with just installing Kodi, some add-ons maybe, perhaps a skin, you could be up and running in an hour.
Depending on your windows box, tablet or laptop, it may appear bulky and non aesthetic next to your already bulky AVR and other devices.
Pros:
Cost is zero if you already own a computer.
All of the feature items in your list.... check all of them.
Your PC can still be the PC it's always been and with a little effort it can be your Kodi box too.
That should just about sum it up for the most part.......

(2016-01-06, 22:17)Dave the Minion Wrote: Using Kodi on a Windows HTPC machine works flawlessly (unless it crashes, but Xbone's and Blu-ray players can crash as well) and I have no issues with 6 different set-ups. The only problem is the lack of true 3D support within the Windows HYPC environment. Again it's one of the stupidest issues because a small group building tiny inexpensive machines are able to do something, though not perfectly, that a massive machine with far more computing power can not. Very frustrating.

I wouldn't consider that a problem? Install external player. Done. Can you install an external player so it mimics a native player on your device, aside from an RPI? I ask because you wrote "machines". If not, that is an "issue". Windows doesn't have an "issue". I have no crashes in the O/S or the player. Maybe in XP days when windows was more of an infant and competitors were eager to make an issue every time windows hiccupped due to user error. I'd be much more concerned knowing that as add-ons, media, and Kodi update, the manufactures of these little boxes might not be in unison pushing firmware and updates (if at all forcing you to buy the ahem, "new upgraded box") and one day you turn it on and it doesn't work anymore and you can't fix it yourself.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W

Messages In This Thread
RE: Media Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio - by brazen1 - 2016-01-07, 02:05
Himedia Q5 Pro - by wild nine - 2016-07-16, 01:15
Kodi coming to Xbox One - by woodpost - 2017-02-09, 01:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17