Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-02-23, 10:42)noggin Wrote: I suspect that the hardware in all mainstream GPUs allows the required HDMI data to be sent to signal 3D modes (just as it allows HD Audio, YCbCr vs RGB etc.) - it's just a case of finding the correct way of setting these modes via the drivers (which are probably undocumented).

Exactly. Yet no one has this working. It's limited by the manufacturers because or money or laziness or stupidity or all of the above. These GPU's aren't "less powerful" than the hardware of the Pi. They are neutered. No different than locking a cell phone to a specific carrier who then charges you $50 to "unlock" it so you can use any network you want.

If that is due to licensing for the firmware to open these features up then just make a card that has that cost built in and charge us for it. How many Kodi users who want full function 3D (ie those reading this thread) and test and re-test little devices from shady Chinese manufactures would rather just pay the cost to a known manufacturer even if there's a bit of a premium for it. I'm in for $200 USD MSRP. That's TWICE what an entire 3D Blu-ray player would cost me just to get 1 working part from it. Frankly a $50 premium on any current GPU just for the firmware update is also fine by me.

Just to add, this is a $20,000 home theater I've been working on and building at a friend's for over 3 years. It will eventually have another 10 grand of speakers and audio equipment added with possibly butt kickers and more after that. To make it 3D I'm using a Pi2 kit that cost less than $75. And it's only function is for 3D. This demo runs off the HTPC waiting for something to give it the same capabilities as the Pi. https://youtu.be/lL7-teHHvs8

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi Media Player Options with Full 3D & HD Audio - by Dave the Minion - 2016-02-23, 11:12
Himedia Q5 Pro - by wild nine - 2016-07-16, 01:15
Kodi coming to Xbox One - by woodpost - 2017-02-09, 01:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17