Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2018-09-02, 11:36)Krobar Wrote:
(2018-09-01, 23:07)VonMagnum Wrote:
(2018-09-01, 12:50)Krobar Wrote:  

If you have any DTS CD rips then they are a good way of determining if your setup will passthrough PCM unmolested (Bit perfect).    

They work as long as they're stored in WAV files.  They have never worked stored as ALAC, though (that first gen ATVs could play them in).  I'm wondering if MakeMKV is even ripping them correctly.  I know I read it had issues with PCM several years ago, but I assume that was more noticeable than this since clearly they play as PCM (just the Auro 3D code is apparently being lost or ignored for whatever reason).   

Quote:I would try ripping an ISO of the same disc; if it works or not will help narrow downwhere the issue likely is (If it play as the ISO you should probably post this to the Makemkv forums).

I ripped it as a full backup decrypted Blu-Ray (I don't think MakeMKV does ISO and I don't have another ripper) as the MakeMKV developer suggested I try as he says MakeMKV absolutely does not change the PCM output at all and that burning a copy from this rip would produce Auro3D.  I ran this in KODI Krypton 17.6 on the NVidia Shield.  Still no Auro3D detection.  I did notice with the "7.1." output configuration setting in KODI that the "fixed" output showed surround back channels in the receiver's "info" (there's no surround back channels on this track; it's 5.1 PCM).  Selecting "Best" showed only the 5.1 channels and PCM, but still no Auro3D detection there either.  I tried setting KODI to 5.1 output.  Still nothing.  I can only assume it's something similar to trying to playback DTS CD files inside an ALAC container.  They SHOULD work if ALAC is truly transparent (and they DO work in a 1st Gen AppleTV this way), but KODI must do 'something' during playback to disrupt the encoded signal because all I ever get is NOISE that way.  DTS CD playback only works from WAV files in KODI for whatever unknown reason.  

I'm just guessing that Team Kodi never considered LPCM playback might contain an immersive encoded format at some point in the future (and since it's not a 'popular' one there's probably even less interest, particularly when most of the movies have it wrapped in DTS Master HD which DOES work).  If there's something even one bit off in the stream somewhere or whatever during playback (who knows what), it would lose detection, but might not have the slightest audible effect on normal PCM content playback.  The extra height signals are supposedly stored in the least significant bit of each 5.1 track.  A slight change there wouldn't likely be audible in the slightest with regular PCM, but would screw up the signal.  I thought maybe it was the "keep audio device alive" button or whatever, but that doesn't appear to be the case.  I could create a log if there's any developer interest, but if not, I'm just considering it unplayable from KODI and hope when I get my Zidoo that its own player might have a chance.  Otherwise, I simply have to play the disc the old fashioned way.
THEATER: 11.1.10 Atmos, Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB Speakers; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube

Messages In This Thread
Himedia Q5 Pro - by wild nine - 2016-07-16, 01:15
Kodi coming to Xbox One - by woodpost - 2017-02-09, 01:00
RE: Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio - by VonMagnum - 2018-09-03, 04:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17