• 37(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
Nope, nothing added at all bar Chrome and a few software packages. None of which are running.

... but Win10 is out tomorrow so will see what that does. I may just wipe it all (inc recovery partition) and put one of my Win 8.1 licences on it with a non-WIMboot and see what that does
Regarding fresh installs:

Win 10 is out.... Has anyone updated? Using the upgrade tool or doing a fresh install?

For those on 8.1, has anyone wiped the whole disk and done a fresh install from USB stick of Windows 8.1 Connected Single Language edition (aka Win 8.1 with Bing)? Apparently it will pick your key from UEFI BIOS but you can extract it anyway for safety.

How are people making backups before re-installing?
You've got 12 months to upgrade, I'd wait a while and let everyone else be the bug testers and upgrade when Windows 10 might be pretty stable.
Waiting for my 10 update to start.
Looks like Windows 10 is leveraging Wimboot techniques across a wider range of devices.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows...footprint/

However this was written a few months ago - hopefully the below has been addressed? The quote below is hopefully out of date
Quote:We’re working on bringing upgrade to low capacity devices

The reason Windows 8.1 devices using WIMBOOT are not yet able to upgrade to Windows 10 is because many of the WIMBOOT devices have very limited system storage. That presents a challenge when we need to have the Windows 8.1 OS, the downloaded install image, and the Windows 10 OS available during the upgrade process. We do this because we need to be able to restore the machine back to Windows 8.1 if anything unexpected happens during the upgrade, such as power loss. In sum, WIMBOOT devices present a capacity challenge to the upgrade process and we are evaluating a couple of options for a safe and reliable upgrade path for those devices.

Back in March they were still working out how to install Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 Wimboot devices as they needed to retain the Win 8.1 image in case something went wrong. (For 16GB devices that may be very diffcult...)
Drum roll please.

I have just received my sata cable and I would like to report that it works, I now have my 1tb drive connected.
(2015-07-29, 20:15)Speighty Wrote: Drum roll please.

I have just received my sata cable and I would like to report that it works, I now have my 1tb drive connected.

Can you post a link to the seller ? I may cancel my two outstanding orders if I can get one the way you did!

What length was it? (Have you had to fold it or is it OK?)
Wink 
(2015-07-29, 20:15)Speighty Wrote: Drum roll please.

Glad I could help Big Grin
This is the one I bought.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/351161796947?_mwBanner=1

I had to fold it but fits perftly fine under the cage.
Hi guys.
How are you all?
Just setting up this pc today.
What version of open elec is good?
You are probably OK going for the latest 6 beta. 5.08 is fine too.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'd recommend the Isengard VAAPI test builds, see 2nd post for OE links
Hello!

I'm looking for a low cost and low power consummation desktop, this HP seams to be the best for the price. Can you please help me with some questions:

- The GPU is fine run the resolution 2560x1440? Not for games, just office and web browsing. I should buy one with displayport to avoid adapters.
- How difficult is to implement an sata HDD? the 2.5" fits inside the barbone?
- Other option is to use an external 3.5" HDD, but linked with sata adapter, is possible? like this, the power need to be supplied by external transformer, right?

thanks
(2015-07-30, 06:25)matinhas Wrote: - The GPU is fine run the resolution 2560x1440? Not for games, just office and web browsing. I should buy one with displayport to avoid adapters.

I ran a Retina iPad display-based monitor from my 260 G1 via Displayport. That was 2048 x 1536 resolution and worked fine in native res. I can't remember if I tried 3840x2160 via a DP->HDMI converter into our UHD set.

Quote:- How difficult is to implement an sata HDD? the 2.5" fits inside the barbone?
There is a 2.5" mounting tray supplied, but you need to source the proprietary SATA cable and screws. The HP cable designed for this box is on back-order, but there appear to be HP Envy 17 cables that also work. More info elsewhere in the thread, as are details on the screws needed.

Quote:- Other option is to use an external 3.5" HDD, but linked with sata adapter, is possible? like this, the power need to be supplied by external transformer, right?

If you want to use the internal SATA connection and route it outside you're in the realms of quite serious modding, and would either still need the cable above, plus some kind of extensions, or you'd replace the M2. SSD with an M2->SATA adaptor? Not sure I'd do either. It's not clear whether the SATA adaptor for the internal 2.5" HDD carries the right voltages and current for a 3.5" HDD. We expected it not to but there are PCs that use the same cable with a 3.5" HDD so it is not entirely clear.
(2015-07-28, 16:41)Methanoid Wrote:
(2015-07-22, 20:46)MediaPi Wrote: update to the screws
Quote:Regarding the screws that I used to secure the 2.5" hard disk, they were a set of M3 x 5mm (I think) that I had in my odds-n-ends box. The key factors are the thickness of the washers (2mm all round to snugly fit in the plastic frame), and having fairly large domed heads on the screws, as they're the part that clips into the frame (the washers are just spacers between the disk and frame).
Regards,
Charles.
Just checked my HDD and it has about 5-6mm depth inside the case, the washers take 2mm, so I would say get a 6mm bolt to give you 4 mm inisde the case.
£1.45 for 10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-PACK-A2-STA...338460ff21

The ebay washers I linked to won't do because the inner diamter is to small for M3
so the tried and tested Maplin will do
£2.99
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/anti-vibration-washers-a26gf

so thats £4.44 (unless you can get your own screws)

(this is an update to this post http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2058915)

so now users that are wanting to get screws have an affordable option.

Can I suggest you edit the post with advice to make it clear you are suggesting M3 x 6mm screws at that eBay link as he offers many sizes and would be nice to make sure people get right ones. Once you confirm I will be ordering enough for 3 machines. I've ordered 4 cable pack from China so might as well have kits ready for multiple machines. Now I have it I like it so may buy more!

Thanks for all your informative posts and keeping the 1st post completely up to date. Really helpful! I hope other people will add their thanks to 1st post and your rep.

I'm looking to add a 320GB 2.5" HDD I have lying around. I know the cable can be ordered on ebay but would these screws be okay. They are described as M3X6MM for DVD drives etc but they come with washers already and its 50 pieces.for £3.99 which seems good price.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/optical-drive-...hers-a24gf
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2