[XBOX] Patch XDK to go around the 4GB FAT32 limit on USB-drives like UnleashX
Lightbulb 
posted by unleashx for unleashx at xbox scene:

Quote:* Added Full support for USB1.1-compliant FAT32 devices via File Explorer. Write speed is still slow. I patched the XDK library to go around the 4GB limit hardcoded into the system but my mobile HD still wouldn't work.
It could be that it's not USB1.1 compliant but I ran out of hardware to test. Tested with 128MB, 512MB, 1GB flash disk and 4GB iPod Nano. Let me know if you have success with bigger HDD.

Quote:Additional note on FAT32 USB devices. My 60GB mobile disk is kinda working, but it's only able to mount the first partition (I have FAT32/FAT32/NTFS). Also, it times out very often so I don't really consider it as working. Write operation should be avoided with these devices as more than likely, it will fail in the middle.

What operation works with FAT32 devices: File Explorer Read/Write, Image Viewer. MP3 playback is sketchy at best, still need to optimize the read operation. Notepad, Unrar, Zip/Unzip is not supported.

it appears he has worked around the 4gig limit, the xbmc team can learn something here since he has done the had part [ i think]!!!Cool
A new version of the UnleashX(info) dashboard for Xbox1 has been released.
What's new/fixed:
Among other things added there is:
* Added Full support for USB1.1-compliant FAT32 devices via File Explorer. Write speed is still slow. I patched the XDK library to go around the 4GB limit hardcoded into the system but my mobile HD still wouldn't work.
It could be that it's not USB1.1 compliant but I ran out of hardware to test. Tested with 128MB, 512MB, 1GB flash disk and 4GB iPod Nano. Let me know if you have success with bigger HDD.
-Read rate: ~1MB/sec
-Write Rate: ~350Kb/sec
-Multiple partition is supported (Max 4 partition)
-Limited to a single mounted device.
Is it possible to collaborate to get it into XBMC?
Or is there some kind of rivalry?
We welcome all and any patches.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yes! Yes!! YES!!! Read/Write USB Support on XBox without Linux! I only would add a little idea: add this as a DLL module, If it's "dificult" ;-) to found XDK, imagine a patched XDK... So you can compile yourself and later add the DLL. It's more, changing this in a modular way it could be possible to add third party filesystems: ext3, HFS+... or maybe FuseFS, too :-)
From unleashx on xbox-scene -
Quote:@Calm-sandwich,
I'll make the info on 4GB limit public so team XBMC can use it as well. I got an official request from one of the members already but haven't gotten to actually giving them the info.

That sounds brilliant. Have you heard anything from him yet team XBMC?

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s...3660&st=45
Cool maybe they will throw the txt editor in too

**Yea, I know it was off topic but hey since they are in a giving mood.....
any updates on this?
no - and dont expect anything from the team. we're pretty much completely uninterested
surely if they have patched the xdk then the hard work is done? I may not be a c/c++programmer but i do intend to be useful in some way. I know im not the only person who wants this feature
Then get the patched libs (they're no legal to have most likely) and build it yourself.

No surprises that they're not available to be honest.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

fair comment, but like i said. Im not a c/c++ programmer nor do i pretend to be in any way. So even if i did get the patched XDK I still wouldnt know what to do with it. I appreciate that all of the develolpers work extremely hard and fully appreciate the work done. I dont want to seem as if im complaining because im not, I just feel that if there is a work-around should this avenue not be explored? The devs have done a fantastic job and I am extremely happy for what has been done. But I feel that the community should have some say in what features are added. Just from doing a search I can see that this has been discussed to death but surely somthing can be done other that re-writing the entire USB Stack.

Again I want to say that im not writing this to put any ones backs up but it is just something I would like. Am I the minority?

Gaz
dry_flood Wrote:But I feel that the community should have some say in what features are added.
Wrong. Those people doing the work have the say in what features will be added. End users have the right to use the software if they want or move along to another solution if they don't like the features that the developers are providing. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but it's opinions like yours that really piss off developers (I should know... I am one on a different project). The fact remains that these people are putting in a lot of time for free and they should be able to do exactly as they wish with the project. If you need more explanation, I can provide it. I'm just trying to help you understand from their perspective.

dry_flood Wrote:Just from doing a search I can see that this has been discussed to death but surely somthing can be done other that re-writing the entire USB Stack.
It's been discussed to death and there seems to be only two options: rewriting the USB stack or using the patched libs from UnleashX. The USB stack is way too much work to even consider, while the patched libs seem much easier. Still, even with patched libs it would probably take considerable effort which the devs feel is better applied to other features and fixes. Now that they're porting to linux, their time is probably best spent working on that since it'll handle USB devices without any problem.
There's another option: make a branch on the source as LinkxBox and Linux ones and work to include patches libs (i think it should be almost only link to another diferent libs...).

And no: i know something about C and C++ but i will NOT make the branch because is too much work for me and wvery time i get into XBMC code i get a headheatch.

In any case i love XBMC but, well... Linux is ok but i think full USB should go up some point in priority list now that there's an option for core team or volunteers devs (or try to get XBMC4Linux to run on Linux4Xbox, there was a long time ago that i don't read Linux thread...)
the libraries are illegal (they are patched xdk libs) and will certainly NOT be put in svn.
Please read this Q&A and in the future try to be a little more sympathetic => http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...by_XBMC.3F
Quote:Q: When will this and that feature or function be supported by XBMC?

A: Tomorrow, in a year, never... who knows! XBMC is a non-profit hobby project that is only developed by volunteers in their spare-time for free, none of us get paid to develop new features/functions/formats/codecs for XBMC meaning we foremost prioritize the things we ourselves what to see and use in XBMC. You as an end-user of who do not yourself contribute source code patches to the XBMC project have no rights to demand new things to be implemented and get no garantees that some specific thing will be prioritized before something else, you may however suggest/request for things and if you ask nicely then maybe someday a developer might like your idea and implement the thing you asked for. We do appriciate your ideas, opinions and feedback if they are presented in a good way, so it is possible to lobby for something specific, just don't be a jerk about it, arrogant and 'pushy' people will most likely just be ignored (or even banned if they step over the line which we consider to be acceptable). Known that almost all users think their own ideas is the most important, and a very common comment is: "if you only add these features then XBMC will be perfect for me". If you can not accept the possibility that your thing might never make it into XBMC then you just have to bite the bullit and learn how to program C/C++ to be able to code it yourself, (see the "Appendix D: Development Notes" section of this manual).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Patch XDK to go around the 4GB FAT32 limit on USB-drives like UnleashX0