File Browsing in Kodi
Sorry if this is a simple question, but I am new to Kodi.

I would like to use Kodi on a tablet (most likely an Android OS) to simply browse / view a list of folders which contain pdf or word files. I would more than likely use the 're-touched' skin.

Couple of questions:

Is there a simple file browser (file manager is a too detailed for my purposes) add-on that you can access from the home menu which gives a short-cut to the folder structure you want to display?
How do I view a pdf or word document in Kodi?

Thanks for your assistance.
Well, Kodi itself is not build for this purpose.
However, since you are running it from a Android based tablet, you can install any viewer for your needs on the underlying Android system.
You can launch the apps natively from whitin Kodi, under Programs.

If you are interested in the existance of any addon for use in Kodi's environment, a quick search got me a topic on thsi forum which might interest you.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...id=1049958
so, regular file manager is too detailed (most of them are actually way to simple/featureless) but installing kodi just to use it as file manager is not to detailed Huh
Sure, you can use kodi's file manager for browsing and there's this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=187421 but.........
Thanks guys. kinggo, to clarify, I had planned to use Kodi for some of the other functionality as well such as Videos and Pictures i.e. file browsing is not the only purpose, but simple 'navigate by button' is key to what I wanted to do. Perhaps this is square peg round hole for Kodi ...?
Use the correct tool for the job. Kodi is a fantastic media player but it is not designed for reading documents. There are some excellent file managers for Android such as ES File Explorer and many document readers.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2016-10-27, 03:15)jokl Wrote: Thanks guys. kinggo, to clarify, I had planned to use Kodi for some of the other functionality as well such as Videos and Pictures i.e. file browsing is not the only purpose, but simple 'navigate by button' is key to what I wanted to do. Perhaps this is square peg round hole for Kodi ...?
the point is that most likely you already have a file manager and some document reader that will do the job better than kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File Browsing in Kodi0