Win 15063 Insider Preview - 17.1 Choppy
Hi All,

I have a backend Media Portal Server for LiveTV and i'm using the Media Portal Client.

After upgrading from 14393 (Windows 10 1607 Release) to 15063 (Windows 10 1703 Release), I've noticed the 17.1 User Interface is choppy as is Live TV.

Playing back MKVs, etc seems unaffected. Is anybody else seeing this issue? AMD 5450 Video Card.
Without a debug log, it's only supposition. But the usual culprit has been the graphic engine and even more so now with userrs demanding higher resolutions, deeper bit planes and file de-compression. I'm not having too many issues with my 8 year old Radeon (but I hit the wall with 10bit 265) with the beta 5000 drivers, here's a comparison between my card and yours. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-5770-v...D-5450-PCI and you can see your card is challenged, a bit of overclock might be enough to get you the solve. I do recommend those beta drivers, but one of the reasons for not migrating to windows 10 has been the driver issue. Set your rendering method to software, see what does for you.

Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
BIOS Date 2009/11/12
Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5
Core Clock in MHz 850 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1200 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 76.8 GByte/s
Driver Packaging Version 15.301.1901-160226a-299900E
Catalyst Version 15.8

At this point a fork in the road for either new hardware, or trying out Linux/LibElec both are viable solutions.
Cheers for the info, the only issue is that it was perfectly fine on the 1607 Windows 10 release, so I suspect a new bug introduced by the lastest Release Candidate (Windows 10 1703 Build 15063 in Slow, Fast and Release Preview Rings).

I'll test on two other front end systems I have to see if its isolated to 1 Computer, was just curious if it was something Kodi Specific as not seeing any issues inside Windows itself..

I'll report back.
As an update all, it seems that the new Windows 10 (RS3) has either introduced a Driver with a bug, or has a higher video card requirement, after swapping a 5450 for a R7 240, back to full speed in Kodi...
+1 Thanks for getting back to us to leave us this comment. For the longest time I touted the 5450 as best bang for the buck but it's day has come.
(2017-04-02, 17:23)PatK Wrote: +1 Thanks for getting back to us to leave us this comment. For the longest time I touted the 5450 as best bang for the buck but it's day has come.

Funnily enough, before the 15043 it seemed fine, but chalk and cheese between the 5450 and the R7 240 (Couldn't go any higher as the PSU in my Media PC is a 380W, so on the line so to speak)

But yeah, thought I'd decommission the entire pc before the 5450 got replaced.
This could still be a 15063 (Win 10 1703) issue, issue is back again, extremely laggy Live TV and Kodi TV Interface, Full Speed Videos (MKV, etc)

Also tried the latest nightly, no change.

There was a new Cumulative Update Released today that apparently affected Realtek Chipsets (High CPU), so will post back if this has changed anything when I get home..
Very strange, I have 3 Kodi Client Machines in the house, 1 is a Intel NUC i5, the other 2 are AMD X4 9750's with 4GB RAM and AMD Graphics Cards.

Both AMD Machines are lagging after the 15063 Update in the Kodi Interface, not smooth at all. Live TV seems a lot better with the new graphics card (R7 240 OC) in one of the AMD Boxes
but is still horrendous on the other with the 5450.

The Intel Nuc is smooth as silk for livetv and Kodi, so at a loss at this point. I'll keep this updates as new Cumulative Updates come out to see if its a Windows 10 1703 bug causing this,
but its strange my NUC in unaffected. They are all on Identical Windows 10 Builds 15063.13. I keep wondering if I should rebuilt one back to Windows 10 1607 and see if the issue is gone.

Then I can 100 percent say its a 1703 bug..

Interested if anybody else is seeing a choppy/laggy Kodi 17.1 interface on Windows 10 1703, or not and what Hardware they have.

Cheers all.
New AMD driver Catalyst : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles...Notes.aspx

It's official support for Creator update (15063) with WDDM 2.2 driver model.
Philips 65OLED804 (4K HDR10+/Dolby Vision) / Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro with Kodi 20 Nexus Marven for DV / Onkyo TX-NR474 + Jamo 809 Pack 5.0 + Sub Jamo 912
(2017-04-05, 10:56)kalima Wrote: New AMD driver Catalyst : http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles...Notes.aspx

It's official support for Creator update (15063) with WDDM 2.2 driver model.

I'll update again tomorrow but it seems like we have a winner, I'll update the driver on my other system as well and see if my issues clear on that as well.

Cheers for the post and as usual, thanks to the Kodi Developers and community for the help.
As an update to this, I've noticed that when everything is working properly, I see the Kodi Splash Screen on Launch, when its not working I don't.

I replaced the Video Card in my other PC with an R7 240, and ran the DDU Tool to remove the previous 5450 Drivers.

I then installed the Latest Video Card Drivers 17.4.1 and rebooted.

Upon starting Kodi, no splash screen and slow acceleration/lag. I had updated Kodi on my other system previously to the latest nightly, so I tried this, no change.

Eventually I went into System->Video and Reset all Settings to Default, and then to System-Audio and changed the Audio Output from DirectSound HDMI to Wasapi HDMI.

Restarting Kodi and everything is full speed and working fine, so curious if the fix was the reset of Video Settings or the Audio Output from Direct Sound to Wasapi.

Has anybody else seen this?
Wouldn't be the first time, think we might have something on it in tips/tricks or the master thread for windows issues http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194926, your words make for interesting reading, and your journey is being followed. I find portanble mode is great for sussing out these kind of problems, gets down to the basics.
I'll tinker with settings and see if I can get the issue to re-occur, by modifying the Audio Output Settings, etc.

Otherwise, glad to see the end of the issue at this point, Wife is happy again Smile
Rolling back audio settings, etc, I have been unable to reproduce the issue.

I also queried AMD about updated Drivers, it does seem like the 5450 has has its time...
https://community.amd.com/thread/214365

Once again all, cheers for the feedback and assistance, and Kodi Team, looking forward to Kodi 18.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
15063 Insider Preview - 17.1 Choppy1