v17 [S912] Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped.
Hi folks. You've probably noticed that I'm just starting off here. Unfortunately I'm with a dilemma, figured It's Kodi related.

I bought myself an Android TV box, not exactly cheap. Anyways, I've done a hard factory reset on it. Installed Kodi 17.1 from Google Play Store. Kodi isn't pre-installed, so It's a clean slit.

Anyways shortly after launching Kodi 17.1 every-time, and merely scrolling up and down the Kodi left-side menu. I receive "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped."

It is repeated every-time, when I restart the Android TV box and visit Kodi. I tried doing stuff first without going into Kodi in attempt to try to force it's hand and have this anomaly appear outside of Kodi, to no avail. It seems fixated to only occurring inside the Kodi app.

Not even played anything, just launched up Kodi 17.1 and scrolling up and down the Kodi left-sided menu and shortly the Google Play Store has stopped message appears.

I've removed the small handful of apps I had installed via Google Play Store. Including the Youtube which also wanted the updated Google Play Store app. I've also uninstalled the Google Play Store update and re-booted.

I have tried clearing the Google Play Store data to no avail. Reset All App preferences and re-booted to no avail.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

MOD EDIT: S912 title added as a Warning to others not to buy AMLogic S912's unless you are the DIY type of person.
Have you tried downloading Kodi directly from here?

https://kodi.tv/download
Hi 808. Thanks for replying. I've not downloaded directly from Kodi official site. Shouldn't Google Play Store Kodi 17.1 be exactly the same? When I've installed, there was no pre-installed Kodi. I've installed the latest v17.1 and no installation errors.
(2017-04-28, 02:45)Phant0m`` Wrote: Anyways shortly after launching Kodi 17.1 every-time, and merely scrolling up and down the Kodi left-side menu. I receive "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped."
Firmware issue. Nothing to do with Kodi. Whoever has provided the Android Firmware for this box needs to fix it.

Thanks wrxtasy.

You have a little more insight regarding more specific why the firmware is suspected?

I think you are right. I've noticed with some experiments it'll happen outside of Kodi, before going into any app or game. Just more prone or easily reproducible via Kodi.

It's new Beelink GT1 Ultimate. I've seen reviews that even stated there weren't any Google Play Store crashes with this unit. However.., wondering if this is sign of defective unit. I did have an issue with WiFi not detecting available WiFi Internet(S) here during the Beelink initial setup phase. I had to skip and later went into Android settings / WiFi settings. WiFi feature was totally disabled, and I could no way enable it. Tried software data factory reset multiple times, to no avail. Then hardware factory reset did fix it up, but I wonder this signs of more problems to come with this box.. and this Google Play Store just another example of this. I should just return the product, but I've read lot of positive feedback on this unit. Therefore take another chance in ordering another or give up on Beelink GT1 Ultimate product.

Regarding the Google Play Store issue, only deleting my Google account, it seems to rectify the crashing. I thought I'd try disabling all the syncs but to no avail, issue still existed. No good having an Android TV box if I cant use Google Play Store. LOL!
Why - because I'm seeing exactly the same "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped" problem on an alternate Marshmallow - Android TV ROM for a S905 that I'm helping with bug busting and testing. And I have not even installed Kodi yet.

Suggestion is to ditch the Beelink Firmware for that GT1 - seriously Beelink do not know what they are doing - AMLogic S912's come with the poorest Firmware getting about. There are numerous issues with them. I have warnings plastered all over the place not to buy them if you don't like getting your hands dirty with DIY.

The sellers of these cheap Android AMLogic boxes simply don't care about Firmware quality. All they want is your Money.
99% of the review's you have read are either Paid for or by uneducated Tech Newbies - but mostly just plain Bullshit.

Advice: Head over to the Freaktab Website and install some S912 GT1 compatible Firmware from there, @superceleron does some good work with alternate ROM's:
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...s-tools-by

If you don't want to do that - send the device back or sell it to someone else and stay away from ALL cheap AML S912 Hardware.

It's not really a firmware issue, it's a Android issue.

These things have been reported on nearly every Android device. Even with the Shield TV I've had it (though not for a while now) and I've seen it reported on the Mi and Nexus Player,

It happens mostly with the Play Store but can also happen with other apps. Mostly, these are false positives where the app will close, either because Android is trying to free up some memory or even at times the app will still be running but you will still get the message. I suspect that it happens mostly with the Play Store due to the fact that it is always checking for updates and there is some sort of failure/timeout when connecting to the server.

There's really no rhyme or reason to it and it seems to affect some people but not others.

Two things you can try is (1) Disable auto updates for the Play Store. (2) If you have it enabled, disable IPv6. This is because some ISPs have issues connecting to Google services over IPv6 (I first hand knowledge of this).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
This is definitely a Firmware issue in my case as I have not even logged into the Playstore yet - and the message Pops up during device setup.

Failure's to connect to the Google servers can be Firmware related due to poor WiFi or Ethernet Firmware implementations that result in data loss - particularly when sending secured Playstore Login data. There have already been WiFi problems with this particular GT1 device mentioned above.

GT1's have also been known do overheat and cause all sorts of problems due to piss poor Firmware.

It may be in your case, but as I stated, this has been reported on multiple devices where apps (mostly the Play Store) will give the message.

Also, you don't need to be logged in, even if you're not, the app is still running in the background. So it's caused by the app itself or Android reporting a false positive.

I've even gotten it a time or 2 with Kodi, where I will do a proper exit and it will still pop up the message that "...Kodi has stopped". This is just a false positive where Android thinks Kodi crashed even though it didn't.

(2017-04-28, 18:23)wrxtasy Wrote: I have not even logged into the Playstore yet

Are you saying that you skipped the initial Android setup?
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I've already helped a friend pick out the original Beelink GT1 Android TV box a few months back. I've setup and configured it. There's absolutely no issues to date, knock on wood!

I've also watched videos from reputable sources showing each and every detail on the Beelink GT1 Ultimate Android TV box. They also already done videos on other manufactured Android TV boxes.

During the lengthy videos, not a single crash occurred. They were being thorough and running apps and games and browsing and showing features. Heck mine just causes the Google Play Store to stop when I reboot and simply leave it sit long enough.

Already did hardware factory reset once already. The crash doesn't happen until sometime after Google Play Store account has been setup. However thinking more into it, I seem to have observed it some-time after Youtube application was installed. Some-time after installing Google Play Store app update per Youtube request to have the update for Youtube to work. Then using Kodi, Google Play Store seemed prone to exhibit this anomaly faster.

I've tried clearing the cache and data for Google Play Store and re-booting. Uninstalling Youtube and the Google app update and clearing the cache and data and rebooting and testing. Uninstalling all the installed apps & games. Resetting all apps preferences. I've performed the firmware cache wipe and even deleting the Google Play Store User account and recreating.. all to no avail.

I've already begin deep troubleshooting. Already for the second time have done the hardware factory reset. Google Play Store app hasn't crashed yet, and I've configured few things and installed a few things. Re-booted multiple times, left it sit, then ran some stuff and explored the settings. I installed Youtube but I've never bothered yet to run and install the Google Play Store app update yet, I'm about to now.

If my suspicions are correct, then It's the Google Play Store app update that begins this foolishness. Then as suggested the update checking likely the culprit. It however wouldn't be a surprise if what wrxtasy said about the firmware using bad WiFi driver or poor interface design.

However, I'm doubting It's an issue common with Beelink Android TV boxes or many more complaints would be seen, and I've not seen much yet.. However I am thinking my WiFi issue initially experienced could be related to faulting WiFi interface along with combination of the Google Play Store app update. Will know soon enough though.

I appreciate you guys responses. Many thanks.
(2017-04-28, 19:18)Phant0m`` Wrote: However, I'm doubting It's an issue common with Beelink Android TV boxes or many more complaints would be seen, and I've not seen much yet.. However I am thinking my WiFi issue initially experienced could be related to faulting WiFi interface along with combination of the Google Play Store app update. Will know soon enough though.

I appreciate you guys responses. Many thanks.

Well, I wouldn't take no wide spreed complaints as a sign. There have been several issues with the Android TV Play Store app that didn't/haven't been widely reported.

Most people never knew that there was a crash issue where you would go into the Play Store, go to Games then Select Action/Sports games and it would crash the app. And it took Google months to fix it, even Sasha Prueter (Android TV lead) didn't know about it until someone on G+ pointed it out. That was even with a issue posted on the ASOP Issue tracker.

EDIT: Also if you want to know how common this is, just Google "unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped"
I understand what your saying and I agree. There's already several reasons why that Google Play Store app could crash. Several procedures to fix them, but none for my experience here. However with the rate these Beelink boxes being sold, the various places, I'd see multiple complaints for sure. Places where reputable sources posting the videos with high viewing counts thoroughly testing these boxes, the comments section would consist of surely something.

My case, I don't even have to run anything, just sit on the Home screen idling for a moment. However using Kodi and merely scrolling around the menu is easily enough having the Google Play Store app crash. This issue would be slapping people in the face, and people would complain. Even if the issue was addressable, people would still make complaints.

"Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped." is very annoying. Slapping me in the face without even needing to go into Google Play Store and do anything. This sort of experience wouldn't go without being posted someplace.
Did hard factory reset, and all is working perfectly. Even with YouTube and having installed the latest Google Play Store App update. I think the issue came from one of the installed apps like ES File Explorer version that I had, or MalwareBytes. Simply uninstalling wasn't enough to undo the system manipulations. Everything else is back installed, which was only small handful of apps and games anyways.. minus those two applications. Thanks again for the responses.

By the way, updating the topic to include the processor information is one thing. The ' MOD EDIT ' message with the crusade against AMLogic S912 processors is abusing one's power.
Have you discovered the Dark Screen colorspace issues or Kodi Krypton audio problems yet ? Wink

The Colorspace issue has not been fixed by Beelink on GT1's in over 7 months, unless there has been a recent miracle.
And BTW and I've seen at least 20 posts asking why basic 5.1 DTS Passthrough Audio does not work with Marshmallow S912's.

So yes the warnings are justified when you end up answering the same old sh1t for S912 devices on a continual basis.

Did observe and addressed fairly swiftly. Wink

Dark Screen was rectified by simply enabling service.bootvideo setting in the file \System\build.prop. Using just the original bootvideo file already supplied on the Beelink GT1 Ultimate box.

I have surround sound with Kodi 17.1 using Passthrough, working perfectly good. Tested out both 5.1 and 7.1 DTS audios.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[S912] Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped.0