Working with Verizon Fios TV
Forgive a thread probably posted to the wrong place by a noob - but I had to start somewhere and just wasn't sure even after searching.

I have an HTPC running Win 7 32-bit. I have a Ceton card installed with cable card from Verizon, and at the moment don't need to cut the cord.

Just got a new laptop running Win 7 64-bit. Have Cyberlink 16 Ultra installed, and it can see into my HTPC and play all recorded VIDEO (in WMC or otherwise) just fine. I'm amazed, actually.

After reading a great tutorial, I got Kodi loaded yesterday, with most of the tweaks and add-ons. It seems to run fine too.

Here's my question: I'm having major surgery soon, and will be upstairs for some time, Laptop in hand. If there's any way I can watch live my Verizon TV channels live (don't care about HBO since I can always to to GO) with Kodi - that would be great. Otherwise I'm going to have to try and record everything, every day, in order to watch anything. I have a fair bit of space, but not that much.

If there is an add-on that would do it, that would be lovely. Thanks for reading, and for any help you might be able to provide. ~ Lisa
Hello and welcome sugarfreegoodies,

Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery. Hope it all goes well.

Just a friendly pointer. Discussions regarding accessing or using Kodi in a way that allows Piracy or Copyright Infringement is not allowed here. There is a list of banned add-ons where the mere mention of them will have your post sent to the bin. See here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Banned_add-on

I can't see you having breached the forum rules yet, but sort of heading that way by mentioning "Tweaks", "add-ons" and "not cutting the cord yet". I am not familiar with Ceton or Cyberlink as I am not from your part of the world.

Hopefully someone can help you with your query.
Karellen, thanks for the welcome! No, no piracy even thought of here. I pay my Verizon bill promptly each month. Smile It's actually cheaper to have internet and TV from them than just internet.

Cyberlink 16 Ultra has indeed been talked about in this forum. It's a DVD player software you purchase from Cyberlink that has a lot of neat features. One of which (didn't even know about it till I read it here yesterday) is that it can play any video from any computer on your network, as long as the program is installed on all computers. Which their license allows.

Ceton is a TV tuner card that you buy. It has 4 tuners that allow you to record 4 channels at once on your htpc once you rent the cable card from your cable provider. Brings in and records premium channels too. Absolutely all above board.

The only reason I mentioned add-ons and tweaks is I haven't the faintest idea about the correct terminology. I just wonder if there's any way I can watch live TV - which I pay for!) on my laptop instead of the TV hooked up to my htpc. Verizon does have an app for Androids (which pretty much stinks) but does an even worse job if you log in on their windows site. Doesn't seem to matter which browser you use.
I don't think you need Cyberlink for those features. Kodi will do all that.

DVBLogic sells software that connects to TV tuner cards and distributes the incoming channels around the home. I had a quick look and can't see an explicit reference to Ceton cards, but Ceton cards might use one of the standards that DVBLogic supports. The software is not free but you can install it for a free trial period. DVBLogic also provides a legitimate add-on that allows Kodi to connect to the DVBLink software and therefore to attached tuners.

Two issues you'll need to consider:

- Where you get your programme guide from; I get mine over the air in the UK - it sounds like you will need a different solution
- Do you have the bandwidth in your network to support passing channels from your downstairs PC to your laptop? I have a reasonably decent WiFi setup with my PC connected to the router via powerline boxes but I still have trouble viewing HD channels on my laptop. You might need to invest in some powerline boxes in your bedroom and next to the downstairs PC.

Andy
I think what you need to look at is some kind of PVR software that will tie into Kodi. That would allow you to watch LiveTV (and record stuff without using the Verizon DVR). If you already have a Ceton tuner installed with a CableCard, I wonder if you already have the installed. Are you using Windows Media Center or something else with the Ceton card?

Basically you need to look into the PVR addons for Kodi (they're all pre-installed, they just need to be activated) that will integrate Kodi with your PVR. There is one hitch. You will only be able to watch shows that Verizon has tagged as COPY FREELY for the CableCard. I might be moving to a FIOS area, so I've been looking into that issue. It looks like the only things Verizon doesn't tag that way are premium channels (like HBO) and stuff from FOX (so FX, FXX, Fox Sports, Fox News, etc). The FOX stuff is because that's how FOX wanted it.
Honestly if you are not married to the ceton I would get an hdhomerun prime. I use one with FiOS and you can't beat the ease of use. After that everything is easy.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Working with Verizon Fios TV0