Unable to install/run Kodi
(2017-09-12, 22:48)PatK Wrote: Kodi 18 - LibreELEC Testbuilds for x86_64 (Kodi 18.0) worth a shot.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298462

Thank you for the heads up Pat.

However I haven't been able to find any info on LibreELEC USB install. As I said, I did 'install' it (LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32.exe) to a USB stick. But after hitting F12, and getting to the 'boot menu' it seems to want to install again ? (I thought I already installed it on the USB stick ?)

Anyway, I could go ahead and install however I'm not clear WHERE it will install as there is no indication on the screen. It also indicates it will wipe everything on the drive it installs to. So, if someone could clear this up as to why I'm installing 'again' and more importantly where it will install I can proceed and see if this will work.

I did look for info and read through the site where I downloaded LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32.exe but could not find any info on this.

Thank you....
(2017-09-16, 00:58)Pi 4 Wrote: However I haven't been able to find any info on LibreELEC USB install. As I said, I did 'install' it (LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32.exe) to a USB stick. But after hitting F12, and getting to the 'boot menu' it seems to want to install again ? (I thought I already installed it on the USB stick ?)

No you haven't "installed" it, all you've done is create a bootable memory stick that can be used to permanently install LibreELEC on a PC. When you boot with the USB memory stick the default boot mode is "installer" which will attempt an installation of LibreELEC to one of your internal hard disks.

However in addition to the default "installer" mode there are two more boot modes - "live" and "run":

1) "live" mode will boot straight into LibreELEC from the USB memory stick and use RAM for storage so nothing is stored/persisted
2) "run" mode will again boot into LibreELEC from the USB memory stick but use the USB memory stick for storage (it will resize the USB memory stick on first boot to use all available space) so changes you make in Kodi will be stored on the USB memory stick and persisted across boots

You have 5 seconds to enter the boot mode before the boot prompt times out and uses the last entered boot mode. Once you enter a boot mode it will be remembered as the default the next time you boot, so you don't need to keep entering the boot mode unless you want to use a different boot mode.

If you choose the "run" mode (ie. type "run" at the boot prompt) then you can boot LibreELEC entirely from the USB memory stick without affecting any of your internal storage devices - you can create your library and it will be available the next time you boot, and you can even upgrade LibreELEC on the USB memory stick to one of the testbuilds PatK pointed you to.

(2017-09-16, 00:58)Pi 4 Wrote: Anyway, I could go ahead and install however I'm not clear WHERE it will install as there is no indication on the screen. It also indicates it will wipe everything on the drive it installs to. So, if someone could clear this up as to why I'm installing 'again' and more importantly where it will install I can proceed and see if this will work.

Why are you unclear when the installer shows you a list of available storage devices:
and prompts you to select the storage device it should install to?

It's up to you to recognise your own hardware and decide which storage device in your PC is C:\, D:\, or whatever.

However if you only want to "test drive" LibreELEC then do not use the "installer" mode - use "live" or "run" (either of these two modes is what PatK means by "portable").
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
You should have the file LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32.exe sourced and downloaded.

execute/run the program.

Then by the coloured numbers (delightful interface)

1) Select version and show all (clicked checkmark)
2) Download or Select Local image (here you get to pick the file & folder it's going to download to, LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.1.1.img.gz)
3) Select your USB or SD card (you should have one of that $5 USB drive handy)
4) Let it write the image to that USB... should say done. (help will take you to the wiki page).

The system you install on must be able to boot from this device, this would probably be a setting in your bios to enable USB as first boot.

Quote:If you choose the "run" mode (ie. type "run" at the boot prompt) then you can boot LibreELEC entirely from the USB memory stick without affecting any of your internal storage devices - you can create your library and it will be available the next time you boot, and you can even upgrade LibreELEC on the USB memory stick to one of the testbuilds PatK pointed you to.
Yes this is the mode I was referencing, and just confirmed it on my system, but the little note 'TAB' for more options is not that clear and timed. Typing in run, indeed brings the program alive, but in my case the graphics engine drivers supplied didn't cut it. I did get the splash screen and pointer and audio clicks etc and recognized the audio as fully functioning, I'll have to dig into this when I have some moments.
@PatK I'm confused as to what Pi 4 is booting with F12 - I'd assumed he had successfully created a bootable USB memory disk with some version of LibreELEC, but hadn't considered he might actually be having trouble running the USB-SD Creator executable.

(2017-09-16, 05:04)PatK Wrote: Typing in run, indeed brings the program alive, but in my case the graphics engine drivers supplied didn't cut it. I did get the splash screen and pointer and audio clicks etc and recognized the audio as fully functioning, I'll have to dig into this when I have some moments.

Hmm, this is with LE 8.1.1? LE 8.1.1 includes very recent drivers that should support most GPU hardware.

If Kodi is not starting then add "ssh" to the APPEND line in syslinux.cfg and EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg in the root of the USB memory stick to enable ssh (username: root, password: libreelec). You'll need to get the IP address assigned to your PC from your router/dhcp server (you'll have to use a wired connection until Kodi is able to run reliably and configure WiFi).

If you need help, run "createlog" in LibreELEC ssh, then upload the latest zip file from /storage/logfiles and post a link.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2017-09-16, 03:11)Milhouse Wrote: No you haven't "installed" it, all you've done is create a bootable memory stick that can be used to permanently install LibreELEC on a PC. When you boot with the USB memory stick the default boot mode is "installer" which will attempt an installation of LibreELEC to one of your internal hard disks.

Sorry my fault I used the wrong terminology. I thought by running the libreelec usb-sd creator I was 'installing' LibreELEC to the USB stick.

(2017-09-16, 03:11)Milhouse Wrote: However in addition to the default "installer" mode there are two more boot modes - "live" and "run":

1) "live" mode will boot straight into LibreELEC from the USB memory stick and use RAM for storage so nothing is stored/persisted
2) "run" mode will again boot into LibreELEC from the USB memory stick but use the USB memory stick for storage (it will resize the USB memory stick on first boot to use all available space) so changes you make in Kodi will be stored on the USB memory stick and persisted across boots

You have 5 seconds to enter the boot mode before the boot prompt times out and uses the last entered boot mode. Once you enter a boot mode it will be remembered as the default the next time you boot, so you don't need to keep entering the boot mode unless you want to use a different boot mode.

If you choose the "run" mode (ie. type "run" at the boot prompt) then you can boot LibreELEC entirely from the USB memory stick without affecting any of your internal storage devices - you can create your library and it will be available the next time you boot, and you can even upgrade LibreELEC on the USB memory stick to one of the testbuilds PatK pointed you to.

This appears to be where I had the problem. I wasn't aware of the "live" and "run" modes. I apparently went straight to the 'Main Menu' where it prompts you to install. I just wasn't sure as to where it wanted to install to. .

One thing, once I run 'live or run' on my PC and then shut the PC down. When I restart my PC the next time will it remember this and look to boot into LibreELEC again or will it boot into Windows 7 as it normally would do ? Since I'm just trying this out, I'd hope it would go back to normal operation and boot to Windows 7 again.

(2017-09-16, 03:11)Milhouse Wrote: Why are you unclear when the installer shows you a list of available storage devices:

and prompts you to select the storage device it should install to?
It's up to you to recognise your own hardware and decide which storage device in your PC is C:\, D:\, or whatever.

Actually before you get to the screen in your screen shot, you're first sent to the 'main menu' (see below)
As you can see you're only given a choice of Install, Log or Reboot. No mention as to where it is installing to. That and the warning about 'your disk contents will be wiped out' made me apprehensive about proceeding.

I was concerned it might immediately start installing after I selected Install.

Had I first been presented with the 'selection' screen in your snap shot or at least made aware there would be a second screen where I could select the device to install to I would have proceeded. I did google around be couldn't find anything on this so I thought it best to ask first.

(2017-09-16, 03:11)Milhouse Wrote: However if you only want to "test drive" LibreELEC then do not use the "installer" mode - use "live" or "run" (either of these two modes is what PatK means by "portable").

I see, I didn't know that Portable meant to use Run or Live. Since I had been trying to run a 'portable' version ( Kodi -p ) of Kodi that was installed on my PC. I must have confused the terms.

Yes, I believe Pat is trying to determine what the problem is with my Graphics Card. I apologize for the confusion as I am new to all this. However I do greatly appreciate all the help I have received here.

Thank you...

One question though.... if I were to install where should I install to ? Are people using a second HD ? Another USB stick ? Or can you install to a C: Programs Folder as you would normally install any other program ?
(2017-09-16, 05:04)PatK Wrote: You should have the file LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32.exe sourced and downloaded.

execute/run the program.

Then by the coloured numbers (delightful interface)

1) Select version and show all (clicked checkmark)
2) Download or Select Local image (here you get to pick the file & folder it's going to download to, LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.1.1.img.gz)
3) Select your USB or SD card (you should have one of that $5 USB drive handy)
4) Let it write the image to that USB... should say done. (help will take you to the wiki page).

The system you install on must be able to boot from this device, this would probably be a setting in your bios to enable USB as first boot.

Yes I did do all that and it went well. I was able to boot (F12) to the USB stick but got hung up on the 'main install window'. The window I posted in my last reply to Milhouse.
As I had said it gave me a choice of Install, Log or Reboot. and I wasn't sure how to proceed. I was concerned where it would install to and thought it best to ask first.

Thank you...
(2017-09-16, 08:47)Milhouse Wrote: @PatK I'm confused as to what Pi 4 is booting with F12 - I'd assumed he had successfully created a bootable USB memory disk with some version of LibreELEC, but hadn't considered he might actually be having trouble running the USB-SD Creator executable.

I'll try to answer that. After running the USB-SD Creator exec I restarted my PC and hit F12 which brings me to the boot selection screen of my PC. From there I chose the LibreElec USB stick to boot from. And that brought me to the LibreELEC Main Install window I posted in my first reply to you. So I'm assuming everything went well with the USB-SD Creator exec.
This image might help, in the place it says boot, is the place to enter live or run.

https://imgur.com/a/g7V2O
(2017-09-17, 17:41)PatK Wrote: This image might help, in the place it says boot, is the place to enter live or run.

https://imgur.com/a/g7V2O

Thank you Pat, I was able to get it up and running last night. And it ran well, no problems.

Back to the graphics card problem.... the usb bootable ran well and did in fact shut down with no problem. However the Kodi that is installed on my Win7 PC still freezes on exit. So the Bootable Kodi closes fine and the installed Kodi freezes.

One thing though, the Kodi that's installed on my PC has 'Exit' which freezes. Whereas the bootable usb only has 'Power Off System' , 'Custom Timer', 'Suspend' and 'Reboot'. I used 'Power Off System' and it closed down Kodi and then shut off my PC. I don't know if 'Exit' vs 'Power Off System' makes a difference.

Hopefully this will help you to determine what the actual problem is ??
'Exit' will just exit Kodi, while shutdown kills the entire system (must be toggled in settings to do that). I should mention that failure to exit might have something to do with shared system DLL's and could be what is holding your install from a proper exit. Again it's a matter of using some system/process explorer and clicking various tasks to find if Kodi is being held up, and if so; any shared tasks?

The key here is, Kodi runs well on your system hardware using LibreElec (and if this is a dedicated HTPC, you might want to stick with it) and in all probability one of the Linux variants. In all of this, brings into question your windows install.
(2017-09-19, 01:40)PatK Wrote: 'Exit' will just exit Kodi, while shutdown kills the entire system (must be toggled in settings to do that). I should mention that failure to exit might have something to do with shared system DLL's and could be what is holding your install from a proper exit. Again it's a matter of using some system/process explorer and clicking various tasks to find if Kodi is being held up, and if so; any shared tasks?

The key here is, Kodi runs well on your system hardware using LibreElec (and if this is a dedicated HTPC, you might want to stick with it) and in all probability one of the Linux variants. In all of this, brings into question your windows install.

Thank you for all your help I do greatly appreciate it. No this is not my HTPC, it is just my desktop that I was using to learn my way around Kodi. I'll try to hunt down the shared system DLL's , but if not I always have the USB bootable which runs perfectly.

I'm in the process of deciding between a R Pi3 and a Mini PC/Stick PC. Even though the Pi is excellent I do like the idea of having the option of running addition programs on windows as well.

One last thing, the LibreElec USB booted and ran extremely fast and smooth on my PC (very impressive).
I was doing some reading on the Windows BIOS/Boot. Could I...

1. 'Install' the USB LE/Kodi (LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator.Win32.exe) on an SDHC or USB stick ? (alleviating having to use 'Run/Live')
2. Change the 'boot order' on the Mini PC/Stick PC to first boot from the SDHC (LE/ Kodi) and then have Win 10 internal drive as the secondary boot option ? .

Thereby having the PC Stick boot directly into LibreElec/Kodi from the SDHC.... but if I removed the SDHC prior to turning on the Stick then having it boot into Win 10 from the internal HD. Would it skip over the 'missing' primary boot option, and just go down to the next available bootable disk (Win 10 HD) ?

I don't see the point of wasting resources on Windows to run Kodi since LibreElec is so lightweight and runs so elegantly. But I would like the option of still having Windows if need be.

Or is there a better 'dual booting' option ?

Anyway, I thank you again for all your help...
The boot priority would be set-up in your computers BIOS (you'll have to read your hardware instruction manual for this trick, hitting del key a lot on boot might bring it up) and the usual affair is that you are given choices of what is first boot, second etc.. Should first not be available, second choice is attempted right down the lineup. You can install LibreElec on a USB and directly boot, but I suspect you will be disappointed in the performance.

Keep in mind LibreElec is running on a Linux variant with just enough o/s for Kodi, even though this is a windows installation, the underlying operating system is Linux and the two o/s do not mix. So, in reality, you are booting into one o/s or the other from the get-go boot. You could do a dual boot computer, with a menu choice of the o/s but this is more of an advanced set-up and can get you into trouble fast.
(2017-09-21, 17:59)PatK Wrote: The boot priority would be set-up in your computers BIOS (you'll have to read your hardware instruction manual for this trick, hitting del key a lot on boot might bring it up) and the usual affair is that you are given choices of what is first boot, second etc.. Should first not be available, second choice is attempted right down the lineup. You can install LibreElec on a USB and directly boot, but I suspect you will be disappointed in the performance.

Keep in mind LibreElec is running on a Linux variant with just enough o/s for Kodi, even though this is a windows installation, the underlying operating system is Linux and the two o/s do not mix. So, in reality, you are booting into one o/s or the other from the get-go boot. You could do a dual boot computer, with a menu choice of the o/s but this is more of an advanced set-up and can get you into trouble fast.

Thank you Pat, that really explained everything !!

I'm curious though, why do you feel the performance would be disappointing ?
Quote:I'm curious though, why do you feel the performance would be disappointing ?
Bandwidth limitations of a USB device, most likely USB 2.0 (your motherboard and USB device need to be USB 3+) while a USB 3 set-up could give you almost spinning hard drive performance in some cases. Threshing back & forth for thumbnails and gfx support from the source ensures a bottleneck at those limits.
(2017-09-25, 17:45)PatK Wrote:
Quote:I'm curious though, why do you feel the performance would be disappointing ?
Bandwidth limitations of a USB device, most likely USB 2.0 (your motherboard and USB device need to be USB 3+) while a USB 3 set-up could give you almost spinning hard drive performance in some cases. Threshing back & forth for thumbnails and gfx support from the source ensures a bottleneck at those limits.

Thank you again Pat.

Yes I am definitely looking for a USB 3.0 device.

Below is one Device I've been considering. It has a 64-bit Quad-Core Intel Apollo Lake N 3450 processor, 8 GB of ram and has 3 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB C port. They say it can do 4K at 60 FPS. I'm waiting for the release and reviews to see if it lives up to the claims.

Azulle Byte 3

Azulle powers the Byte3 with a 64-bit Quad-Core Intel Apollo Lake processor making the Byte3 not only lighter but more powerful. Use the HDMI or VGA port to connect to a TV or monitor. With 4K at 60 FPS, you can stream Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime; or use Microsoft Office to complete any business, school, or leisure-time task. The Byte3 is the feather-weight champion of fast, functional, user-friendly and affordable technology. The Byte3 comes loaded with Windows 10 operating system.

*Byte3 comes with an IR remote to switch on/off.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to install/run Kodi0