Special episodes not showing in season folders
So you want to keep them, but not show up in the library. I assume you just want to view them in File Mode when needed.

A couple of ways...

1. Use the Extras add-on... https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Extras
or
2. Exclude Folder... https://kodi.wiki/view/Updating_or_remov...os#Exclude
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-05-25, 06:50)Karellen Wrote: So you want to keep them, but not show up in the library. I assume you just want to view them in File Mode when needed.

A couple of ways...

or

Ok
my special eps are all .strm files, but so are all of my other none special tv files so unless there is syntax for exclude by file path & file type
I don't think exlude would work.

If you can exclude by path and type what would the xml syntax look like for a path of
special://profile/addon_data/TVShows/Happy!/Season 0/whatever-episode.strm

I do already have an advanced.xml and the Extra context plugin is a good idea if all else fails and I just have to delete all the files should the Extra plugin have more than just an option for youtube, because that is the only option i get using it
(2019-05-25, 07:13)phatboyj Wrote:
(2019-05-25, 06:50)Karellen Wrote: So you want to keep them, but not show up in the library. I assume you just want to view them in File Mode when needed.

A couple of ways...

or

Ok
my special eps are all .strm files, but so are all of my other non-special tv files so unless there is syntax for exclude by file path & file type
I don't think exlude would work.

If you can exclude by path and type what would the xml syntax look like for a path of
special://profile/addon_data/TVShows/Happy!/Season 0/whatever-episode.strm

I do already have an advanced.xml and the Extra context plugin is a good idea if all else fails and I just have to delete all the files should the Extra plugin have more than just an option for youtube, because that is the only option i get using it

and do .nomedia files only work for the music library?
Oops, thanks for spotting that blooper. I will fix now.

It works for both libraries.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-05-25, 07:24)Karellen Wrote: Oops, thanks for spotting that blooper. I will fix now.

It works for both libraries.
@Karellen

Awesome I'll give it a try

can I simply paste the .nomedia file into all the Season 0 folders and then run the clean library to remove the files from the library or is there a particular order to acheive my end-goal?

Thank You ever so much for your guidance I still don't understand for the life of me why the change context and exclude from scan options provided from within kodi do not function to meet this purpose as I thought that was the hole idea behind those settings.

also did you catch my question above about exclude by file type & Path, via the advanced.xml?

Edit:
I just tried by adding the .nomedia file into one of my Season 0 folders and then running Clean Library.
The attempt was unsuccessful.

What next? my head Hurts
(2019-05-25, 07:32)phatboyj Wrote: can I simply paste the .nomedia file into all the Season 0 folders
Yes. Create your first .nomedia file in a folder you want to exclude, then simply copy it to the other folders .

(2019-05-25, 07:32)phatboyj Wrote: then run the clean library to remove the files from the library
No, that won't remove them. The .nomedia works at the time of scanning/scraping. It has no affect on anything already in the library. You will need to delete them from the library. Using delete on your keyboard or from the Context Menu if using a remote control.
If there are a lot of them, just remove the entire tv show, then scan them back in after you have placed the .nomedia file. Might be worth testing one show first.

(2019-05-25, 07:32)phatboyj Wrote: also did you catch my question above about exclude by file type & Path, via the advanced.xml?
No I didn't. You posted twice, so I didn't see the first post. (assumed it was one I had already read)

(2019-05-25, 07:13)phatboyj Wrote: my special eps are all .strm files, but so are all of my other none special tv files so unless there is syntax for exclude by file path & file type
I guess the following that might work. Not sure as I have never used them on specific season folders in tv shows. If you understand regex's, you can give them a try.
excludefromscan (movies only)
excludefromlisting (possibly movies only also)
excludetvshowsfromscan
https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings....defromscan

(2019-05-25, 07:32)phatboyj Wrote: I still don't understand for the life of me why the change context and exclude from scan options
Are you referring to the option Exclude path from library updates? If yes, that just prevents a source from being scanned when the Update Library global function is run. It is not the same as Exclude from Scan.

Hope that helps Smile
My Signature
@Karellen

Just an FYI, the nomedia was a no go this time around. I think I may be to blame, because I removed the show from the library and also deleted the show completely, instead of just removing it from the library as you suggested. Then I created the directories for both the show and the Season 0 folder manually so as to then put the .nomedia file in the Season 0 directory. After which, I ran a library update and the entire show including the specials were restored.

Thinking back on my F***-Up I should have realized that this would be the outcome as you had previously explained as much, in a round-about manner.

I deeply appreciate the patience you have demonstrated toward me, while I work through this issue.
I will, after, "a Long needed Nap", try again. This time I will be sure to follow your instruction without deviation. After, I will post my results, and if I can remember to ask them, after my Nap, " I have a couple of questions about rather related to, the subject you linked me to on Excluding the extras folder via the advanced.xml file, and the syntax, that may be necessary if, and when the directory contains a space in its name ", such as, "Season "to have it function as intended. I'm pretty sure when a space is involved in a directory path/name, and or a file path/name when working with directory paths, and or file paths, via .xml syntax That ("") should be utilized. My questions, "?'s plural", stem from the previous assumption, assuming I am correct in said assumption. Like I said though, I'll get to asking those, of you, after, said Nap!

Thanks again for the guidance and I can only hope for your continued assistance/effort,
phatboyj
Quick question on Kodi 20.1 and the file .nomedia. Does it no longer work in a directory to avoid scanning the files into the Kodi listing?

I have used this previously and just noticed that I am getting duplicate episodes where before I did not. 

I have some TV shows on DVD and some I recorded OTA. The OTA recordings I have in a folder with .nomedia and now they are being counted whereas before this file kept them from being counted.
(2023-09-22, 01:56)themusj Wrote: Quick question on Kodi 20.1 and the file .nomedia. Does it no longer work in a directory to avoid scanning the files into the Kodi listing?

I have used this previously and just noticed that I am getting duplicate episodes where before I did not. 

I have some TV shows on DVD and some I recorded OTA. The OTA recordings I have in a folder with .nomedia and now they are being counted whereas before this file kept them from being counted.

the code to exclude folders with .nomedia still exists - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...r.cpp#L300
I see. But it appears not to be working. I have looked into every folder where it used to work, and all shows now show the duplicates.
I even created a new folder, new .nomedia. and moved the file in it.

Cleaned library. Duplicates gone.

Rescan library. Duplicates back.

Something is different somewhere.
(2023-09-24, 23:26)themusj Wrote: I even created a new folder, new .nomedia. and moved the file in it.

Cleaned library. Duplicates gone.

Rescan library. Duplicates back.

Something is different somewhere.

if you are asking for help then how about a Debug Log that shows the issue?
This works for those who also may have had issues with .nomedia. not working on their systems.

Preventing Extras Being Added To Library
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Extras

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Special episodes not showing in season folders0