4K - HDR - Dolby Atmos
Hi Guys,
I just finished renewing our living room with a nice Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 setup and I have some problems with my current HTPC setup and I want to get some new stuff.

Current Setup:
TV: Sony AF8
AVR: Yamah RX-3070
HTPC: Libreelec (i5, using iGPU, 8gb ram, ssd etc..)

Yes the TV has Android TV and Kodi actually runs very nice, including HDR support. The main Problem is that the ARC can't handle HD Audio Passthrough DTS-X or Dolby Atmos unless Sony releases an eARC software update in the future (no time expectations ere). Until then I want to get something working.

I read a lot of stuff here but I couldn't find a solution where I'm sure that it fits my needs.

What do I want?
  • An Android/Linux solution with proper frame/color space switching support.
  • Another requirement is full Audio Passthrough support for DTS-X and Dolby Atmos.
  • CEC support I don't want multiple remotes.
  • Best possible 4K support.
  • Booting Straight into Kodi.
  • Dolby Vision would by nice but not required.

I don't care much about power consumption, I care more that it just works.

Cheers!
read here 

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=325077

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
I Updated my main post CEC is also a requirement.

Yes I read this one many times. 

Current possible solutions:
Apple TV 4K
- No Direct Boot in Kodi?!
- Only device with Dolby Vision support

MINIX U9-H
- Haven't found any information about DTS etc support.

Since the nVidia Shield information in this thread are 6 weeks old is there any news?
Read this:

Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware (click)

Take particular note of this regarding the NVIDIA Shield:

4K/HDR Lossless Audio Drops (click)

There is No Dolby Atmos or DTS:X passthrough available with the Apple TV 4K.
DolbyVision only works on the ATV 4K when video streaming from iTunes, Netflix and now possibly Amazon Video. It's a specific single layer DV profile that is used for streaming.
The DolbyVision content found on 4K Bluray Rips has no media player software available on any external hardware platform to play back the DV profile Bluray's use.

An S905X / S912 AMLogic device will do both 4K HDR and up to 7.1 Atmos / DTS:X audio passthrough - especially when using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
The Zidoo X9S will also give you what you want.

Intel has no working HDMI CEC out of the box.
Even platforms with working HDMI-CEC, there are no guarantees it will work smoothly with any other HDMI connected Audio or Visual equiptment because it's not a rigorously adhered to standard.
HDMI-CEC control is a lottery if it works properly or not.

Thank you, I'm reading loots of your posts on the LE forum.
Yeah, I'm pretty lucky with the CEC stuff. Everything working so far no troubles (keep fingers crossed that the ARM stuff will also work).

So two options left:

MINIX U9-H
Zidoo X9S

Do both work with libreelec? @wrxtasy I saw u have a custom build for the U9H so I guess this is your choice?
AMLogic S905X / S905D and S912 devices like the MINIX U9-H are the only AML boxes that will run 4K HDR LibreELEC Kodi.

I'm lucky too with LE running on the U9 because HDMI-CEC controls my TV's & AVR - OFF / ON functionality and the Volume button on my Wireless MINIX A2 lite remote controls Yamaha AVR volume, and Mute functionality via CEC as well. So it's one Wireless remote only needed for me.

Zidoo uses a Kodi fork called ZDMC I believe to call on external, custom Android media player software. it's not strictly a Kodi box. Nor does it boot straight into Kodi.

Sounds good, so I'll buy a MINIX U9-H. Thanks for your help! I'll keep this thread updated once I get it.
Watching this thread closely for that.

I'm thinking of getting a sony oled which will have android tv so things like android apps for streaming (tv channel apps, netflix hulu amazon) will work fine with standard 5.1 Dolby through arc (eArc would be a bonus when it comes) and then a separate box which can do all thats required for local playback (4k hdr uhd audio with auto switching colourspace and refresh rate)

So basically almost the same setup as you, unless i decide to wait for hdmi 2.1 devices lol
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
All u mentioned is working actually fine already, the only thing missing is the eArc for HD audio.
Just know that Zidoo X8/X9S/X10 presently have banding issue w/4K HDR. Expected to be fixed with upcoming firmware due soon (at least for 10-bit, unsure about 12-bit), but this is based on manufacturer rep's promise.
That's great to hear!
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
Sooo Big Grin I received my U9 today, the setup was very easy and got LE running within 5 min.
Just to add to this thread, my friend has just bought a new Samung QLED TV & a Dolby Atoms Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar was wondering if he can get his Nvidia Shield to playback Dolby Atmos soundtracks? 

Thank you.
It depends on a number of things...

Please read the Shield section and follow the links in this Sticky thread:

4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations (click)

So the MINIX U9-H supports 4K, HDR and all the DTS formats out of the box?
Or do I need to install a specific version of libreelec / kodi?

Looking for something to replace my old 1080p HTPC.
Requirements, 4K, HDR(if possible) and DTS-HD formats (DTS-X)

I was looking at the Intel NUC but there seems to be to much problems with the HDR and HD-Audio formats

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K - HDR - Dolby Atmos0