4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
@wrxtasy 

Thank you for the very detailed reply, I am slowly understanding more and more.

So confirmed by HDMI analysis

1.  Odroid N2 (s922) running CoreELEC outputs MaxFALL/MaxCLL metadata
2.  Vero 4k+ (s905d) running the OSMC "new stack" (whatever that is) outputs MaxFALL/MaxCLL metadata

Kernel

1.  The 3.14 kernel does not support outputting metadata like MaxFALL/MaxCLL

2.  The 4.9 kernel is a propriety kernel made by AMLOGIC just for their s905 and s922 devices. And they did not make it for the s912.

3.  The 3.14 and 4.19/4.1x kernels are standard linux kernels ?

4.  The 4.19/4.1x kernel "does" support outputting metadata like MaxFALL/MaxCLL

5.  The 4.9 kernel used by CoreELEC on the Odroid N2 has been modified by either CoreELEC or Hard Kernel to better support colour space autoswitching and other things.

6.  The s912 "may" or "may not" be able to output HDR metadata like MaxFALL/MaxCLL when or if someone gets the 4.19/4.1x kernel working on it next year.

Does all that sound about right ?

My s912

I have a TX92 and I have already enabled the option to overclock the GPU and also set it to use the "performance" governor.

As you say it had major problems with heat, so I cracked it open and installed a better heatsink and a small fan and now it runs pretty cool even under full load but can still suffer lag and general slowness with heavier skins.

Conclusion

At this time the best possible solution is probably a Odroid N2 running CoreELEC or maybe a Vero4k+ running the "new stack" with light weight skins.

Is this as good as it gets for standard HDR10 rips, or is there other stuff that is not yet possible ? like MaxRob/MaxRobert or whatever lol.

Some extra questions

Kodi says it no longer supports "AMCODEC" but is it still used in CoreELEC and OSMC ?

Is the "V4L2/GBM" that @Sam.Nazarko  mentioned a replacement for AMCODEC ?

Sorry for keeping on, I am just trying to understand it all.

Thanks again
Rob

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by treboR2Robert - 2019-06-24, 00:32
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209