4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-04-29, 07:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Just a bit of a heads up for 2019 Nvidia Shield owners using DolbyVision....
Quote:There is a color issue across all app the uses Dolby Vision, from Plex to Disney+ or Netflix, something is wrong handling the color space or something because reds look a bit saturated is more evident on characters skin but also on other surfaces, is subtle but is there. It's not an "all image" redish look, is more like where there should be some soft red tones they appear more saturated and only happens with red....

More details HERE (click)

There are also the same reports over on the MakeMKV forums (click) from various users.
Maybe Nvidia are incorrectly using a Rec.2020 colour space instead of the Dolby proprietary IPT ?      

I've just seen references to red tint in a discussion about HD Fury's LLDV for HDR10 displays hack (AIUI this intercepts the LLDV data - as it's carried over convention HDMI Infoframes rather than tunnelled in the video as per the original, slightly hacky, DV implementation - and I believe allows you to use it to generate a 'dynamic HDR10' signal, which is very useful for displays with limited dynamic range...).

I wonder if the Shield TV is not outputting the correct white point or colour gamut flags (i.e. DCI P3 vs Rec 2020 etc.), or is not handling the correct flagging of RGB primaries properly, which is then throwing the Dolby RPU processing in DV TVs (or does LLDV also devolve some of that to the source)?

I wonder if the DV content on Netflix, Prime, Disney etc. is all mastered with the same primaries, white point, gamut etc. but some of the DV UHD BDs that have been remastered are using different values ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by noggin - 2020-05-04, 10:23
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209