4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2022-04-09, 16:34)gerard143 Wrote: thank you!  great reply!

So I noticed something with the infuse app on apple tv.    If you pay for the premium version it says  "HD quality audio  -Hear every detail with added support for 24-bit Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HS MA audio"   so does this still mean it can't do atmos?  When it says 24-bit does that mean it can do bitstream?

I haven't checked out what Infuse are doing - but my first guess is that they are doing what Kodi does - lossless decode (for 48KHz tracks, downsample for 96/192?) of  Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA 5.1 and 7.1 audio (and 2.0 / 4.0 etc.) to multichannel PCM 5.1 or 7.1.  The fact that they don't mention "Dolby True HD with Atmos" or DTS:x suggests that they aren't doing bitstream/pass-through, and therefore don't support the height extensions that Atmos and DTS:x add.  Currently to get "Dolby True HD with Atmos" and DTS:x you have to have bit streaming / passthrough from your player to your Dolby Atmos AVR etc.

"Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos" is supported on the ATV 4K and ATV 4K v2 - as that is a format used heavily by DRM streamers.  (I don't know if MrMC supports this)

NB - 'Atmos' isn't a single format - you can't really talked about 'Atmos' support on its own.  Atmos is an extension to existing Dolby Codecs, so you can have "Dolby True HD with Atmos" (as used by Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray) or "Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos" (as used by streaming services - and also sometimes used on Blu-ray for alternative audio tracks), support for one doesn't mean support for the other.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by noggin - 2022-04-10, 10:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209