Performance on Dell 790 USFF
Video 
Hello there!

I am just enquiring about the Video performance on the Dell 790 USFF computer when streaming 1080p content from YouTube in the Windows 10 Opera browser, and running files locally from Kodi in Windows 10.

The specifications are as follows:
  1. i3 2120
  2. 4GB DDR3 RAM
  3. Intel HD 2000
  4. 320GB HDD
Thank you for your time.
H264 1080p video files are fine for HD2000. Youtube uses VP9 as a codec however, so it all comes down to the CPU. You could try an install the h264ify extension for Opera to soften the pain a bit.
Thank you for the very fast response!!

Does this mean that I will need to drop down to something like 720p for YouTube on this CPU?

Thank you.
No idea, but the Core i3 Ivy Bridge is not that bad. I still use the i3 3225 (HD4000) myself, which has slightly more CPU 'oomphf' and software decoding for Youtube is okay. I guess it's a case of "try and find out what happens" for you.
Can I later upgrade the CPU on the 790 USFF?

Probably to another i3 of the same nature, maybe with a bigger Intel HD like yours?
Hehe, if you can still find one... Smile
Those things are about 6 years old now. And I doubt the performance difference will be that big.

You could also try to run LibreELEC instead of a full Windows OS and tweak the Youtube addon into 1080p from the default 720p resolution.
Alright, I seem to be regretting the choice of a 790 USFF, as 1080p youtube is kinda a must for me right now... would you reccomend another computer or system for under £80? It needs to have support for bluetooth headphones.

Thank you for your help so far, I really appreciate it.
I wouldn't write off the i3 2120 that quickly. Try LibreELEC and see how it works out. You can try the Live Mode.
Later you can also install the Chromium browser in LibreELEC as well, which btw only applies to Intel-based hardware! Not any of the other supported hardware (RPi, AMLogic..).

Alternatively, there is the Raspberry Pi 3B+, which also should do 1080p via the Youtube addon (with a few additional tricks).
And there are also this topic: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
Thanks tons man
It'll run YT VP9 1080p like nobodys business, even 1440p. It'll support a future upgrade to I7-3770K.
Nice little machine. I do prefer the slightly larger SFF model, which I have. I can easily upgrade it with a 2 slot itx GPU. GTX 1050ti would be ideal, or even better the slightly more expensive Quadro P1000 if you need the professional featuresBig Grin
A GTX 1050ti or a Quadro GPU is simply overkill for 'simple' 1080p and Youtube videos.
I think you are better off getting a simple J5005 or an Intel Pentium Gold setup for a somewhat future-proof HTPC.
I' meant in the context of futureproofing, which you can't with the USFF model. 

The CPU handles software decoding of VP9 very well.
Really, a low profile GT 1030 could fit in there and boom, your 790 SFF is an HDMI 2.0a ready HEVC 4K decoding mean machine.
Don't ever buy nvidia if you want to use Linux.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-06-16, 02:50)DJ_Izumi Wrote: Really, a low profile GT 1030 could fit in there and boom, your 790 SFF is an HDMI 2.0a ready HEVC 4K decoding mean machine.
 Not the USFF model which the OP has.. that was my point. I really like these Dell machines, they are fully toolless (except the cpu fan), and they are more or less given away these days.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Performance on Dell 790 USFF0