Need help with customizing
There's a few things I'd like to change, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do any of them yet.  I'm on Windows 7 using the default skin (Estuary).  The first thing I would like to do is increase the size of the user rating (star icon) that is displayed in the "list" view on my movies.  I have a 32" screen and sitting about 12' away, so it's extremely hard to see that little icon.  I'd like to at least double it's size and possibly even triple it.  Next, I would like to be able to double click (left mouse button) on the screen to alternate between full screen and windowed view instead of having to use the keyboard shortcut to do it.  And finally, I would like to add another column next to the movie name.  When I sort by year or title, I would like to also have a column that displays the imdb rating next to it, and when I sort by rating, I would like the year to be displayed in the extra column.  That way I can easily see the rating and year side by side regardless of which one I sort by.  I'm a novice with no coding experience, but it seems like these should be fairly simple changes to make.  If someone can give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

Here's where I would like to add that column, and the star icon I want to make bigger.
All skins are built using XML files.  To be frank, if you don't have much coding or XML skills, there is a very steep learning curve to do any customizations.  I think the first time I tried to customize Confluence (the default skin before Estuary) I spent almost a week just trying to find the file I needed to modify and another week figuring out what all the pieces of the XML did.  After five years I can do a fair number of modifications, but there's no way I could ever do a skin from scratch.  To get you started the file you probably need to look at is View_50_List.xml.  I suspect this is the last time you'll ever say you think something should be fairly simple to change. 😜
it is not easy but one way is to get kodi texture tool unpack Textures.xbt find the image then search for image in xml files (notepad ++ search all files)

\Textures\overlays\badge.png

the image is found in Includes.xml
<include name="UserRatingContent">
  <visible>!String.IsEmpty($PARAM[infolabel])</visible>
  <control type="image">
   <left>3</left>
   <top>-3</top>
   <width>44</width>
   <height>44</height>
   <aspectratio>keep</aspectratio>
   <texture colordiffuse="button_focus">overlays/badge.png</texture>
  </control>
Oh I definitely didn't mean it would be simple for me lol.  I just thought it may be simple for someone with much more knowledge to explain it to me.  I was able to get the volume control switched over to the mouse wheel by just copying and pasting some code, that someone else had already wrote, into an xml, but I tried using the wiki guide for modifying skins to figure out how to alter some stuff on my own, but wasn't able to get anything done successfully.  I had already looked through the view50.xml and made some changes, but never got anything to visually change on the skin, so I reverted it back like it was and figured I'd ask here before I screwed something up.
(2018-07-31, 05:03)the_other_guy Wrote: it is not easy but one way is to get kodi texture tool unpack Textures.xbt find the image then search for image in xml files (notepad ++ search all files)

\Textures\overlays\badge.png

the image is found in Includes.xml
<include name="UserRatingContent">
  <visible>!String.IsEmpty($PARAM[infolabel])</visible>
  <control type="image">
   <left>3</left>
   <top>-3</top>
   <width>44</width>
   <height>44</height>
   <aspectratio>keep</aspectratio>
   <texture colordiffuse="button_focus">overlays/badge.png</texture>
  </control>
 Thanks for the tip.  I was trying to figure out where that image was at.  I'll try to alter the height and width on that and see if it works how I want it to.
(2018-07-31, 05:13)BigChief247 Wrote: so I reverted it back like it was and figured I'd ask here before I screwed something up.
Make a backup copy of the skin folder. Then screw it up as much as you want, knowing you can copy back the original files.

That is how I have been able to do my skin edits... though I must admit they have just been minor edits.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-07-31, 05:16)Karellen Wrote:
(2018-07-31, 05:13)BigChief247 Wrote: so I reverted it back like it was and figured I'd ask here before I screwed something up.
Make a backup copy of the skin folder. Then screw it up as much as you want, knowing you can copy back the original files.

That is how I have been able to do my skin edits... though I must admit they have just been minor edits. 
I have been making a copy of each file before I change anything, but copying the folder does sound like a better idea.

I was able to double the size of the badge, now I need to figure out how to increase the font of the number.  I'll keep tinkering.
Ok, got one taken care of.  I was able to increase the size of the user rating icon to my liking.  Hopefully the other things will be just as easy.

You might need this at some stage also, if you haven't already got it... https://kodi.wiki/view/TextureTool

Use it to unpack your xbt file, modify the images and repack. Change colours, add missing studio logos, etc.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks, I'll try it out.  I believe that may be the same thing the_other_guy was suggesting to help me locate images easier.

I feel like I'm on the right track for getting the double click to work to toggle between full screen and windowed, but can't seem to get it to work.  I'm in the mouse.xml and tried adding <doubleclick>ToggleFullScreen</doubleclick> to all the various <windows>, but that didn't work.  Then I noticed there's button id's that I might need to use to define the double click.  I want to use the left mouse button, so tried <doubleclick0>ToggleFullScreen</doubleclick0>, but that didn't seem to work either.  Is there a different way I need to format it to define the button, or am I way off lol.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=283040

this may still work

Your Keymaps folder is generally located C:\Users\"Your Computer Name"\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\keymaps.

When you start Kodi a Long Press on you right mouse button will toggle full screen.

< ?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

< !-- Button Ids: -->
< !-- 0: left -->
< !-- 1: right -->
< !-- 2: middle -->
< !-- 3/4/5/6: extra -->

< keymap>
< global>
< mouse>
< longclick id="1">togglefullscreen</longclick>
< /mouse>
< /global>
< /keymap>
the best I can come up with is a main menu item
home.xml

<item>
 <label>togglefullscreen</label>
 <onclick>togglefullscreen</onclick>
       <property name="menu_id">200000</property>
 <thumb>icons/sidemenu/favourites.png</thumb>

</item>
I finally got it to work.  I had done a little searching and found the proper format <doubleclick id="0"> and I tried 100 different ways and it never worked.  Then it dawned on me that instead of reloading the skin to make it take effect (since the keymaps are in the system folder, not the skin folder), I would need to exit Kodi and restart it.  Then it worked perfect.  Rookie mistake lol.  Thanks for the help though guys.
(2018-07-31, 05:56)Karellen Wrote: You might need this at some stage also, if you haven't already got it... https://kodi.wiki/view/TextureTool

Use it to unpack your xbt file, modify the images and repack. Change colours, add missing studio logos, etc.

Once the textures are unpacked there isn’t any need to repack if just for your own personal use, Kodi will happily work with the unpacked textures, so it’s purely personal choice if want loads of textures files in your Kodi folder or to repack to things tidy.
(2018-07-31, 18:26)jjd-uk Wrote: there isn’t any need to repack if just for your own personal use, Kodi will happily work with the unpacked textures

ah, didn't know that. Never tried to see if that works. Sounds like an even easier way to add missing Studio logos.

Thanks Smile
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help with customizing0