Kodi video settings
Hi all, there is something wrong with my Kodi video settings on my Windows 10 computer that I have in my basement HT. when I watch a movie using kodi, the picture looks weird. it kind of looks over processed and the bright areas are way too bright. If I watch the same movie using media player classic, everything looks fine. What key video settings do you use in kodi?
Family Room(5.1): Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement(7.1): Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
Are you experimenting with HDR videos?
(2019-03-29, 19:33)Klojum Wrote: Are you experimenting with HDR videos?

I have a bunch of .mkv files that i'm trying to play on my HT through my PC using kodi.  I don't know if they are HDR.  does Kodi not support HDR?
Family Room(5.1): Onkyo TX-NR 646 AVR, Polk Audio RtiA3 fronts, Polk Audio CSiA4 center, BIC America F12 sub, Polk Audio RC-65i rears
Basement(7.1): Denon AVR-X3400 AVR, Klipsch RP280f fronts, RP450c center, SVS PB-2000 sub, Polk Audio RC-85i rears & surrounds
(2019-03-29, 19:49)baneling Wrote: does Kodi not support HDR?
It's a work-in-progress.

Please remove non-Kodi related URLs from your signature. That 'line' in your sig is also not very useful. We prefer clean signatures.
HDR has been around for a while.  Kodi should be supporting it fully by  now.  are they working on a new version of the software that fully supports HDR?  is there a beta version available that supports HDR?

but I don't know its cause of HDR.  I played First Blood last night and it has the problem to.  that movie was made long time ago when there was no HDR.    are there video settings in Kodi that would cause my movies to look like this?
Before you go jumping into settings>system>display colour management and limited colours, I suggest you read the Video levels and color space (wiki) and discuss your issue in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...id=2463301 before deciding that MPC-HC (no longer directly supported) as an External players (wiki) is your solution. If you think you really do have HDR videos, search the forum for solutions this has been supported for some time.
(2019-03-29, 20:40)baneling Wrote: HDR has been around for a while. Kodi should be supporting it fully by now.

Hmm. Allow me to be blunt about this:

- Do you not grasp how condescending your remark is?
- Can you even comprehend how much work is involved in, say, reverse-engineering the latest state-of-the-art video and audio technology for multiple proprietary hardware/graphics/audio solutions and also various operating systems? Not to mention the programming and the testing?
- Which HDR variant are you referring to? HDR, HDR+, HDR10, HDR-600, HDR-1000?
- If you have the solutions, by all means, do not hesitate to provide your PR(s) for our source code via Github.

We are not a commercial company. All work is done by volunteers in their own free time. For free. We are not a 50+ developers club. Things take time.
I don't want to use MPC-HC because it doesn't sound very good.  kodi sounds way better.  does MPC support 7.1 sound?  I watched movies using that and didn't hear anything on my surrounds and rear speakers.  then I played the movie on kodi and those speakers came through and sounded great.  but the video wasn't as good.
Now you're switching the subject from image gamma and the solution; to audio with an external player.... not fair. Stay on point, otherwise seek out support with MCP-HC forums.
(2019-03-29, 21:35)baneling Wrote: MPC-HC because it doesn't sound very good.  kodi sounds way better.
Agreed.
(2019-03-29, 21:34)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-03-29, 20:40)baneling Wrote: HDR has been around for a while. Kodi should be supporting it fully by now.

Hmm. Allow me to be blunt about this:

- Do you not grasp how condescending your remark is?
- Can you even comprehend how much work is involved in, say, reverse-engineering the latest state-of-the-art video and audio technology for multiple proprietary hardware/graphics/audio solutions and also various operating systems? Not to mention the programming and the testing?
- Which HDR variant are you referring to? HDR, HDR+, HDR10, HDR-600, HDR-1000?
- If you have the solutions, by all means, do not hesitate to provide your PR(s) for our source code via Github.

We are not a commercial company. All work is done by volunteers in their own free time. For free. We are not a 50+ developers club. Things take time. 

sorry I don't mean to offend. its just that all movies now are HDR and so I think this is important.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180
(2019-03-29, 22:17)PatK Wrote: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

sorry I don't have time to read all that.  so basically, kodi doesn't play 4k HDR files very well?
(2019-03-29, 22:23)baneling Wrote: sorry I don't have time to read all that.
Some hardware does HDR better than others. But then again, you aren't bothered to read just a couple of pages with information.
Fwiw, MPC players do indeed passthrough low and high bitrate audio perfectly.  All of them and most players use Wasapi to make all this happen including the Kodi VideoPlayer.  You have a lot of learning to do before a generic how do I make it all work can be answered.  Usually Kodi default settings after installing are close to working for everyone.  But because everyone is unique, some settings will need to be changed depending on your unique criteria.  Like what kind of hardware are you using and what type of files are you trying to match that play different elsewhere.  We can help you with that but if you can't help yourself too, we wouldn't know where to start and being human lose interest.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-03-29, 22:07)baneling Wrote: its just that all movies now are HDR and so I think this is important. 

I kind of doubt that. I can't see reliable info, but I strongly suspect that movies released in HDR are also graded in SDR for the home and streaming market. But even if true for new releases, the old catalog is going to be around for a long time.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi video settings0