v18 HDR on Kodi and or MPC HC BE?
(2019-04-19, 06:10)PatK Wrote:
(2019-04-19, 03:34)chrisssj2 Wrote: Some just want plug and play experience.
I would think Kodi out of the box fills that bill. Once you get into customization's and substituting with 3rd party players it takes a certain level of expertise which we outline in our wiki's. This forum is support for Kodi on windows and not the mechanics of code replacement. External players are an advanced usage of the software, the road map is clear, Kodi will support new features and functions, either you have patience for development or are willing to envelop wiki's and tolerate some member abuse.  A Google search using the terms " MPC-HC HDR" brought many pages on MPC-HC and HDR is still supported by some of it's users and I recently updated. Check here for platforms that are good to go for HDR https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180 
Yes, And I wouldn't have had a problem with that really. But I really want my ambilight system to work. Which it doesn't on my mediabox cuz it won't work with hardware acceleration and without that HDR won't work on my miniX.
These are the settings I use - I only use MadVR for HDR passthorough
https://imgur.com/JK0m4oj

I have a GT 1030, I'm happy with the image quality (4K HDR is pretty good to start with) and this card isn't capable of complex processing of the image, so I just disable most options and use the hardware decoding

I'm not going to screenshot everything most stuff is opt in any way for people who want additional processing
@jools5000 many thanks for those great configuration screen shots.

@chrisssj2 
(2019-04-19, 18:58)chrisssj2 Wrote: I really want my ambilight system to work.
This great Ambient lighting (wiki) depends in large part to ongoing developer support and enthusiastic discussions, https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289230&page=2
(2019-04-19, 20:03)jools5000 Wrote: These are the settings I use - I only use MadVR for HDR passthorough

I have a GT 1030, I'm happy with the image quality (4K HDR is pretty good to start with) and this card isn't capable of complex processing of the image, so I just disable most options and use the hardware decoding

I'm not going to screenshot everything most stuff is opt in any way for people who want additional processing

May I ask what your settings are based on?
Also I try to edit your settings in, but after a while I start madvr again and I see it doesn't save those settings..

I have a RTX 2080 +i5 8600k btw

Im experiencing a weird thing:

When I stop using DSplayer and press "I" for movie info I see it's at 3840x2160p
Then I enable DSplayer end press I, and see 1920x1080 for this very same movie which I know to be 4k.
Wtf? Screenshot here: http://prntscr.com/neza9m
(2019-04-21, 21:30)chrisssj2 Wrote:
(2019-04-19, 20:03)jools5000 Wrote: These are the settings I use - I only use MadVR for HDR passthorough

May I ask what your settings are based on?
Also I try to edit your settings in, but after a while I start madvr again and I see it doesn't save those settings..

I have a RTX 2080 +i5 8600k btw

Im experiencing a weird thing:

When I stop using DSplayer and press "I" for movie info I see it's at 3840x2160p
Then I enable DSplayer end press I, and see 1920x1080 for this very same movie which I know to be 4k.
Wtf? Screenshot here: http://prntscr.com/neza9m 

I'm using MPC-BE with vanilla Kodi as DSPlayer edition doesn't seem to be developed any more, I do remember that there were multiple ways of keeping/saving settings for MadVR which might explain why your's aren't sticking.  I dont use DSPlayer edition any more so can't really help more there.

As I said, best way is to get your external player working correctly with MadVR first, then configure it to be launched by Kodi.  I tend to keep it optional, so media by default uses Kodi's internal videoplayer, but launch HDR files specifically in MPC.  Its not ideal but havn't found a perfect way to do this on Windows (yet)
What do you find imperfect?  Maybe there's room for improvement that can be addressed.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-04-22, 23:14)brazen1 Wrote: What do you find imperfect?  Maybe there's room for improvement that can be addressed.

By using external players you dont get the Kodi now playing overlay and options.  It can't work out progress in a movie so you can't as easily resume.  The rewind/fast forward controls don't work as well (at least for me in MPC).  Basically when you press play Kodi opens a different program and hands control over.

This is why I use external players as an exception rather than standard.  DSPlayer was good in that regard as it integrated MadVR much more closely into Kodi

Check out the guide and if you find better ways/improvements then please let us know here
Isn't Kodi 'Now Playing' just a background for when playing music?  I use Kodi for music anyway.  I use external players for video where no background is wanted. 

There are settings in every external player to resume playback where you left off prior just like Kodi.  'Partial' watched status doesn't appear on posters in Kodi but 'Watched' and 'Unwatched' do when using external players.  You can also predetermine what constitutes 'Watched' even if you only partially watched by setting a value in the playercorefactory.xml used.  Otherwise, it will naturally determine using normal start to finish.  It would be nice if external players marked Kodi posters partially watched but to be honest, I rarely partially watch anything and if I do, I manually mark the poster unwatched (as a reminder) and then launch the external and let it resume where I left off.  If I routinely partially watched things, I would just use Kodi VideoPlayer.  Nice to have choices.  I suppose the cached data memory for the external vs Kodi's are two separate things.  It would be advantageous to merge the external players cache with Kodi's or perhaps a titles nfo.

I agree, REW and FF do not exist on MPC players but do on others.  I use skip back and forward 10 sec feature.  Repeated presses skip further if desired.  Thankfully the chapter skip and frame step works perfectly though.

Yes, using external players leaves the Kodi environment and lets the external player do its thing.  And when you close the external, you are returned to Kodi in focus no harm done and ready for the next task.  It's seamless and I don't see the problem? 

I agree, adding external players as a choice alongside Kodi's VideoPlayer is an exception and not a standard.  A necessary one too if you want to use 3rd party software such as madVR.  DSPlayer is an exception too.  Nothing standard about it.  It's a fork unlike the addition of external players added to Kodi.  As DSPlayer diminishes and Kodi and external players with other components continue to advance, it's my belief enthusiasts will have no other choice but to migrate to what works.  I've been preparing for that inevitability. 

As with anything, there will be some compromises.  Minor imo.  This is why I request likes and dislikes and necessary improvement suggestions reading posts like these here.  Thankfully I've not run across anything major that could even suggest a deal breaker that hasn't already been addressed.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-04-23, 17:55)brazen1 Wrote: As DSPlayer diminishes and Kodi and external players with other components continue to advance, it's my belief enthusiasts will have no other choice but to migrate to what works.
Considering DSPlayer works now, with 4K HDR content, I'm not sure what could leave users "with no other choice but to migrate". The main thing worrying me is content scrapers and subtitles plugins but I'm hopeful about those remaining Kodi Krypton compatible for quite a long while.
This is not to say that I wouldn't like DSPlayer to be picked up by a developer for maintenance and updating, far from it. But, for the time being, I see DSPlayer remaining functional for local media playback.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
For me personally I've got quite into the new RetroPlayer features, playing old games (although possible before with addons) but more integrated into Kodi has been great.  This isn't an option in 17.x

It would be great if DSPlayer development continued as it is a great option for power users who want full control of how the video/audio is decoded. I'd also love to see native full HDR output in Windows as well for general users who just want it to work out of the box

Microsoft has got to realize the current method of all-or-nothing HDR is not good.  We need dynamic switching, particularly for fullscreen programs like Kodi

When you see Dell advising users to turn of HDR when not using HDR content, then you know something is wrong with this implementation
https://www.dell.com/support/article/es/...10?lang=en
(2019-04-24, 19:25)jools5000 Wrote: Microsoft has got to realize the current method of all-or-nothing HDR is not good.  We need dynamic switching, particularly for fullscreen programs like Kodi

When you see Dell advising users to turn of HDR when not using HDR content, then you know something is wrong with this implementation
https://www.dell.com/support/article/es/...10?lang=en
Oh, for sure. The current approach is ridiculous. I honestly can't understand what Microsoft was thinking when they designed it like this. Do we know for certain that this hasn't been fixed in the upcoming update (1903)?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDR on Kodi and or MPC HC BE?0