Kodi 18.4 not scraping media flags from iso files on initial playback
wrong. Not solved at all. Just transfered to github where someone might care.... or not
(2020-06-25, 15:17)_novalis Wrote: Just transfered to github
And by that, I presumed you would not continue with this thread and by marking it solved, we end repeated visits to this thread with good intentions. It's still open should you feel something more is relevant.
I just think solved is not the correct mark for an issue that is _not_ solved. But I might be wrong here...
Resurrecting this issue.  Now using Kodi v.18.8.  Playing an .iso using Kodi internal VideoPlayer still does not display any media flags.  I have exported .nfo's filled with metadata but still nothing is entered for <fileinfo>.  This has nothing to do with the multiple streams available in an iso therefor an impossible task for Kodi because it used to work on earlier versions reliably.  Something was changed way back when that broke the functionality and it would be nice if it was put back how it was.  Evidently pleads to GitHub have fell on deaf ears.  Please unmark this as "solved".
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2020-09-29, 20:52)brazen1 Wrote: Evidently pleads to GitHub have fell on deaf ears.  Please unmark this as "solved".

um yeah that's what I meant. Still have hopes for Kodi 19
(2020-09-29, 21:07)_novalis Wrote: um yeah that's what I meant. Still have hopes for Kodi 19
Don't. It is not even on the radar for developers.

I don't have any iso files to test, but can't you force the data using <fileinfo> tags in an nfo file?

Also, I removed the solved banner.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I don't think users of iso's are going to create nfo's of their collection, primarily large collections, nor determine the media flags for all the different media info, let alone manually fill it in once it's figured out.  It should be automatic as it once was.  This is simply an issue that didn't used to be an issue... but now it remains just that.  Been living without media flags hoping for some attention for years now which to me is a large part of the Kodi experience but MIA for iso users.  Imo, iso's are the fundamental pure media.  An exact replica of the disc we purchase where all other formats begin life from.  Without it, they would not exist.  Why a derivative .mkv partial file created from the original digital media of an iso gets priority and damned everything else is mind boggling to me.  I do hope the Kodi team finds a Windows developer some day and if possible, addresses old issues like this before starting new bells and whistles.  Here's to 'hope'  Nod
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I don't know why this changed, except that there was something broken in v17 that required a fix, but no idea why this new method was chosen of not saving play data, only data from first scrape or refresh.

Anyway, I became curious so I ripped an old dvd into iso format. Added a nfo file with <fileinfo> and scanned it into the library. My media flags show, and remain regardless of which stream I am playing from the iso file.

Yes, I know it is not ideal especially if you have a large library. But there is a workaround for those that want it. Honestly I cannot see this getting fixed in the near future.

My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-09-29, 22:51)brazen1 Wrote: Imo, iso's are the fundamental pure media.  An exact replica of the disc we purchase where all other formats begin life from.

Personally I'd say the the fundamentally pure media are the folders & files contained on the disc thus if you want a 1:1 copy rip as folder format.

You do have my sympathy that something that worked for you in past now no longer does, but the impression I'm getting is that this is not viewed as a bug and is now the way it's meant to work, so I don't see it changing.
(2020-09-29, 22:51)brazen1 Wrote: This is simply an issue that didn't used to be an issue... but now it remains just that. Been living without media flags hoping for some attention for years now which to me is a large part of the Kodi experience but MIA for iso users. Imo, iso's are the fundamental pure media.

You are speaking out of my heart.
And why the dev department is so ignorant about it is just a riddle to me.
If only there would be a satisfying answer why it might has been abandoned. Or nobidy cares. One could understand and move on. But not saying anything let's people believe that a beloved and (for some) extremely important feature was just killed by chance. That is very frustrating.

Imo, brazen1 is exactly right, iso's are the fundamental pure media. One file to keep them all. Most convenient indeed. And Kodi once handled it bravely. That's gone. Sad times.
(2020-09-30, 13:01)_novalis Wrote: And why the dev department is so ignorant about it is just a riddle to me.
If only there would be a satisfying answer why it might has been abandoned. Or nobidy cares. One could understand and move on. But not saying anything let's people believe that a beloved and (for some) extremely important feature was just killed by chance. That is very frustrating.

Imo, brazen1 is exactly right, iso's are the fundamental pure media. One file to keep them all. Most convenient indeed. And Kodi once handled it bravely. That's gone. Sad times.
I also can sympathise that something that worked for you in past now no longer does. Although a dev I mostly work on music library stuff, when it comes to video I am just a user. I am not able to take on looking at this feature but maybe I can help a little with the "riddle".

Kodi is developed by a small number volunteers that work for free on whatever interests them. Sometimes they are inspired by postive user feedback and enthuisiasm, doing work on things they never use themselves, but it is their choice (and moaning is a big turn off). There are only plans in the very broadest sense - a sufficient number of the team agree to work towards something - and there is no boss giving instructions. Add to that the fact that Kodi is a complex mature creation, it has a wide variety of facilities, and has been worked on by many different people over the years without any single overriding design or detailed documentation. This makes it easy to make a change that improves one thing but has unwanted consequences for something else. Consequently you could say that a lot of what happens to Kodi does happen by chance.

Now you can see that as inconvenient, or you can see it as a miracle of human endevour and sacrifice that Kodi exists at all. The words "nobody cares" get easily tossed about by frustrated users, and I wish those that did so would give a thought to how disinsentivising that is to team members. We obvioulsy care so little we put hours of every day into Kodi for free. That effort may not result in the outcome you want, but hey that's life.

So to this particular feature - reading media flags from ISO files. Use of ISO files by current team members is rare, ripping to .mkv is far more common than ISO use. A change was made to fix/improve something else that had unintended consequences which were not noticed by the team or any user testing. No one has since picked this issue up as something they are interested in and/or have the skills to work on it. Nothing deliberately mallicious, but no sign of anyone working on this any time soon because there are few of us and we are all busy with other things.

I will finish by saying that users are not powerless, you can contribute. For example if a user that frequently viewed ISO files had been testing the nightly builds then this issue could have been picked up when it was introduced (and a dev was actively working on that code) and possibly avoided.
Ok got it. Thank you for your words.
And I meant by 'nobody cares' just this specific issue.
As a user you think that someone made mistake here, because it had worked before. And then you want to help and nobody listens. I know devs are working hard and for free. Criticism is a difficult topic though.
I know for some it gets under the skin. It's not meant that harsh. It mostly a com problem. And what you just did makes it not better but understandable and acceptable.
(2020-09-30, 14:18)DaveBlake Wrote: ... A change was made to fix/improve something else that had unintended consequences which were not noticed by the team or any user testing. No one has since picked this issue up as something they are interested in and/or have the skills to work on it. Nothing deliberately mallicious, but no sign of anyone working on this any time soon because there are few of us and we are all busy with other things.

I will finish by saying that users are not powerless, you can contribute. For example if a user that frequently viewed ISO files had been testing the nightly builds then this issue could have been picked up when it was introduced (and a dev was actively working on that code) and possibly avoided.

I had reported this a few times with releases and with nightly builds, but because I didn't use GitHub and report it through there, it got missed in the forums. As has been reported by some here that many people don't use ISO, there are still quite a few who do especially those who are not in the forums. I think the only one who did notice the threads and replied was Karellen.

@Karellen although using imported populated info from an NFO file to achieve the end result of displaying media flags, it does remove media flags at the same time, mainly the aspect ratio media flag after playing the ISO.

Also to note, when playing the ISO and displaying info during the media playing, it will display all the correct info of the ISO in the media info screen, it's only after stopping does it remove the aspect ratio however retains the already stored NFO data. I guess what I'm saying here is that it reads the correct info when playing the ISO, it just needs to write this into the db in some way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18.4 not scraping media flags from iso files on initial playback0