• 27(current)
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision
(2021-01-13, 21:57)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 21:37)sk83 Wrote:
(2021-01-12, 19:13)fandangos Wrote: There are requests for a 32bits version and a 18.9.

maybe @sk83 could do the 18.9 with the latest changes.

Been away for a while, much to do at work. Here's an 18.9 build with a default input buffer timeout value of 10000 and with WaitForFrame value increased to 250.
Anyway, I haven't had any trouble the last weeks with any of the builds we tested. Two things to consider:
- I've not watched any profile 7 content, only profile 8
- I've set minimum SMB version to 3. This seems to have improved network speeds an responsiveness a bit.

18.9 build

Have you added this commit?
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...00a29R1382

Line 1382 is the function stoping playback before it hangs/crashes.

No, that one escaped me. Here's an updated build with this fix implemented:

https://ufile.io/h6acjgk2
(2021-01-13, 23:34)sk83 Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 21:57)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 21:37)sk83 Wrote: Been away for a while, much to do at work. Here's an 18.9 build with a default input buffer timeout value of 10000 and with WaitForFrame value increased to 250.
Anyway, I haven't had any trouble the last weeks with any of the builds we tested. Two things to consider:
- I've not watched any profile 7 content, only profile 8
- I've set minimum SMB version to 3. This seems to have improved network speeds an responsiveness a bit.

18.9 build

Have you added this commit?
https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Ed...00a29R1382

Line 1382 is the function stoping playback before it hangs/crashes.

No, that one escaped me. Here's an updated build with this fix implemented:

https://ufile.io/h6acjgk2
I'm getting extreme video micro stuttering with this version playing any DV mkv movie.
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
(2021-01-13, 19:46)Fehritale Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 17:07)gil80 Wrote: Yes, running the latest. The auto colour switching doesn't work, according to the TV HDMI service info menu when the Shield is set to Rec2020 DV and HDR10 Ready, regardless if auto-switching is enabled. It will only auto-switch between the profiles if Rec709 DV and HDR10 Ready is selected.
This is off-topic, of course, but interesting find. If you have an LG TV, I can explain how to test that.

p.s. - kodi 18.9 is using a lower version for the backup addon than kodi 19.0. I cannot restore due to some error which I have no idea about.

If you are talking abour the '111111' hidden menue, the menue is buggy and does not always display the correct color space information, especially for DV. The shield is tunneling DV in an 8Bit RGB tunnel and this is confusing for the menue and can cause bugs to display wrong information.

Yes, that hidden menu.
The fact that the HDMI report shows SDR content for DV is a known bug, but there's another menu that can tell you if the colour space is BT2020 or not.
In the LG remote, there's a ... button. Clicking on it and selecting TV> Information will display at the bottom the resolution, the color space, and if it's PCM or not.
If the Shield is set to auto switch colour spaces and the Custom Display Mode is set to Rec709 Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready when playing DV or SDR, it is not coming up as BT2020. When playing HDR it comes up as BT2020. The switching works.
If the Shield is set to auto switch colour spaces and the Custom Display Mode is set to Rec2020 Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready when playing DV, SDR or HDR it always comes up as BT2020. The switching doesn't work.

As for the backup addon, I couldn't find a compiled version in the repo that is greater than 1.3.x for Kodi 18.9. I'll do some more digging and experiments. thanks for the info.

Further testing of DV with your Kodi build, one thing that I was happy to see that is working is the BluRay rip of Spears & Munsil 2019 UHD HDR benchmark. It was able to display HDR and DV whereas this rip didn't work at all on Kodi 18.9. However, when selecting DV benchmark, it shows that my monitor is not compatible to display DV MEL and FEL and not compatible to play HDR. I wonder why it thinks so.
(2021-01-14, 01:07)gil80 Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 17:07)gil80 Wrote: Yes, running the latest. The auto colour switching doesn't work, according to the TV HDMI service info menu when the Shield is set to Rec2020 DV and HDR10 Ready, regardless if auto-switching is enabled. It will only auto-switch between the profiles if Rec709 DV and HDR10 Ready is selected.
This is off-topic, of course, but interesting find. If you have an LG TV, I can explain how to test that.

p.s. - kodi 18.9 is using a lower version for the backup addon than kodi 19.0. I cannot restore due to some error which I have no idea about.

If you are talking abour the '111111' hidden menue, the menue is buggy and does not always display the correct color space information, especially for DV. The shield is tunneling DV in an 8Bit RGB tunnel and this is confusing for the menue and can cause bugs to display wrong information.

As for the backup addon, I couldn't find a compiled version in the repo that is greater than 1.3.x for Kodi 18.9. I'll do some more digging and experiments. thanks for the info.

Addons are not compiled.

Go here
https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup/releases

Krypton = Leia for this addon.

Grab this: krypton-1.5.4
And.. don't use compress archive or else you will need a special python script.
(2021-01-14, 01:56)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 19:46)Fehritale Wrote: If you are talking abour the '111111' hidden menue, the menue is buggy and does not always display the correct color space information, especially for DV. The shield is tunneling DV in an 8Bit RGB tunnel and this is confusing for the menue and can cause bugs to display wrong information.

Addons are not compiled.

Go here

Cheers! that worked.
All video and sub addons don't work on 19.0.

any chance to get this kodi build as an in-place upgrade?
(2021-01-14, 05:33)gil80 Wrote:
(2021-01-14, 01:56)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-01-14, 01:07)gil80 Wrote: As for the backup addon, I couldn't find a compiled version in the repo that is greater than 1.3.x for Kodi 18.9. I'll do some more digging and experiments. thanks for the info.

Addons are not compiled.

Go here

Cheers! that worked.
All video and sub addons don't work on 19.0.

any chance to get this kodi build as an in-place upgrade?

Like I told you it wouldn't.

And you are asking for a packed version with the same name hopping it will retain what you have?

I don't think this would work and I rather not since people could use it to overwrite their main Kodi install and this is just for beta testing.

I would highly advice you to just scan your content on a new installation.
(2021-01-14, 05:48)fandangos Wrote: I would highly advice you to just scan your content on a new installation.

What do you mean by scan my content?

The addons did transfer, but they seem to be incompatible with the version of kodi, not a fault of the restore function, so I assume.
The reason I'm asking for an in-place upgrade is based on the FAQ of the Backup addon:
Quote:I've re-installed a newer version of Kodi from scratch and tried to restore my data from an older version. Why isn't it working?
It is working, just not how you are expecting. When re-installing Kodi it is usually easier to install the version you had and do an in-place upgrade by installing the newer version of the top. Kodi will take care of upgrading your content, addons, and databases itself after running it for the first time. By doing a backup of your current, wiping your data, and installing a newer version you're not allowing these processes to take place. What ends up happening is that your old databases and other files get restored, Kodi just doesn't care to use them anymore. In the case of addons this could really mess things up by restoring now non-working addons from an older version of Kodi.
If you want to get your databases back after doing this there is something you can do. Kodi will perform a check on startup for the most current database version. If one is not found it will look for an older one and upgrade it. So you can do your restore process, then quit Kodi. Find the database files under userdata/Databases and delete the ones with the highest DB number. Then start Kodi again. It should take your old database and upgrade it to the most current version - creating a new database file in the process. Please note this only works for the SQLite database.

Yes, that hidden menu.
The fact that the HDMI report shows SDR content for DV is a known bug, but there's another menu that can tell you if the colour space is BT2020 or not.
In the LG remote, there's a ... button. Clicking on it and selecting TV> Information will display at the bottom the resolution, the color space, and if it's PCM or not.
If the Shield is set to auto switch colour spaces and the Custom Display Mode is set to Rec709 Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready when playing DV or SDR, it is not coming up as BT2020. When playing HDR it comes up as BT2020. The switching works.
If the Shield is set to auto switch colour spaces and the Custom Display Mode is set to Rec2020 Dolby Vision and HDR10 Ready when playing DV, SDR or HDR it always comes up as BT2020. The switching doesn't work.

Will test this later today. For me I haven't noticed any problems with the colors so I assume everything is switching correctly.

EDIT: For me it does not show the color space. It shows the aspect ratio, resolution, audio format and hdr format if it is HDR or DV. Do I need to configure something or is it a misunderstanding from your side?

EDIT 2: Tested with the hidden menue. Shield.is set to YUV4:2:2 12Bit Rec.2020. In the android launcher the TV reports 709 and also for playing a DV movie the TV reports 709 (which I assume is also bug because of the tunneling). For HDR the TV reports correctly 2020. So for me the color space switch is working as intended.
Hi,

I have been trying to read through this thread as DV using Kodi is high on my wishlist. I am using Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). Is it correct that this: https://mega.nz/file/bYtFXArZ#q_EbkogPgB...oigPA7-iXg is the version I should install to test this?

Also: Should I use MakeMVK to create MKV files with DV content or would a folder backup also work? I would prefer the latter but...

And: Are there specific settings I need to change in Kodi to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your help.
(2021-01-14, 19:39)depechefan Wrote: Hi,

I have been trying to read through this thread as DV using Kodi is high on my wishlist. I am using Nvidia Shield Pro (2019). Is it correct that this: https://mega.nz/file/bYtFXArZ#q_EbkogPgB...oigPA7-iXg is the version I should install to test this?

Also: Should I use MakeMVK to create MKV files with DV content or would a folder backup also work? I would prefer the latter but...

And: Are there specific settings I need to change in Kodi to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BDMV folder do not work.

Use makemkv and create a remux.

Use this one instead, has a bigger buffer:
https://mega.nz/file/LY82lAYR#8LvPmkCs_Y...ZqA3PR4OfE

You don't need to change any settings for it to work.
(2021-01-14, 09:06)Fehritale Wrote: EDIT: For me it does not show the color space. It shows the aspect ratio, resolution, audio format and hdr format if it is HDR or DV. Do I need to configure something or is it a misunderstanding from your side?

EDIT 2: Tested with the hidden menue. Shield.is set to YUV4:2:2 12Bit Rec.2020. In the android launcher the TV reports 709 and also for playing a DV movie the TV reports 709 (which I assume is also bug because of the tunneling). For HDR the TV reports correctly 2020. So for me the color space switch is working as intended.

You tested correctly.
Which TV do you own? Maybe it's a problem with the LG CX OLED after all and not the shield. If I use the TV Information (using the ... button), it only reports BT2020 for HDR and nothing for DV and SDR (assuming they are Rec709). This is only working in this way when Shield is set to Rec709 for me.
Either way, whether it is switching or not, I do not see problems in colour when watching DV content, HDR or SDR. It could be a problem in how the TV reports it while the Shield is actually switching correctly regardless if it's using Rec709 or BT2020. I'll do another test with screenshots.
(2021-01-14, 09:06)Fehritale Wrote:
(2021-01-13, 19:46)Fehritale Wrote: If you are talking abour the '111111' hidden menue, the menue is buggy and does not always display the correct color space information, especially for DV. The shield is tunneling DV in an 8Bit RGB tunnel and this is confusing for the menue and can cause bugs to display wrong information.

Yes, that hidden menu.

Will test this later today. For me I haven't noticed any problems with the colors so I assume everything is switching correctly.

EDIT: For me it does not show the color space. It shows the aspect ratio, resolution, audio format and hdr format if it is HDR or DV. Do I need to configure something or is it a misunderstanding from your side?

Below are the screenshots and test videos I used.
The video is the same video but encoded in DV, HDR, SDR.

Three screenshots were taken when Shield is set to YUV4:2:2 12Bit Rec.2020 Dolby Vision and HDR ready:
Dolby Vision
HDR
SDR SDR comes up as BT.2020

Three screenshots were taken when Shield is set to YUV4:2:2 12Bit Rec.709 Dolby Vision and HDR ready:
Dolby Vision
HDR
SDR

See how the Rec709 switches whereas the Rec2020 doesn't?

Link to download the sample videos entire folder: https://mega.nz/folder/Rx5xiarK#YKHCHd6qacC4lMEUkPFQMw

CosmosLaundromat_2048x858_24fps_DolbyVision.mp4
CosmosLaundromat_2048x858_24fps_HDR10.mp4
CosmosLaundromat_2048x858_24fps_SDR.mp4
I installed @fandangos bigger buffer version then downloaded @gil80 CosmosLaundromat files.

My Shield is typically setup for 4K59.40 Rec 2020 Dolby Vision and HDR Ready. Automatic Color Space switching on.
The TV is a Sony X930E - supports HDR and Dolby LLDV. I have an HDFury Diva which shows me what is being sent to the TV

Kodi mostly defaults except enable frame switch on Start/Stop.

When Kodi first starts, Diva shows:
4K59.93 422 BT709 12b 593Mhz 2.2           (I believe the 2.2 is Gamma)

Playing Cosmos DV it switches to LLDV mode and BT2020:
4K24 422 12b LLDV 297Mhz

When playing stops, the Shield returns to the 4K59.93 422 BT209 12b 593Mhz 2.2

Playing Cosmos HDR10 it goes back to BT2020:
4K24 422 12b HDR 297Mhz
Diva also shows the HDR10 metadata:
RX SMPTE ST 2084 Lum 4000/0.005 MaxCLL/FALL 10000/3551

When playing stops, Shield returns to default (BT709)

Playing Cosmos SDR, Shield stays in BT709:
4K24 BT709 12b 297Mhz

When I switched the shield to default  to Rec 709, it still does the 2020 switching on DV and HDR10.

I also tried the .mkv files. I typically go in the sequence P4, P5, P7 FEL, P7 MEL and P81.
First time - P4 played fine, P5 started ok, then after ~ 15 seconds, hung up then blanked the display for ~10 secs. At this point, I could not access any of the demo files over the network (NFS mounted NAS). Server timeout.

Restarted Kodi - network back
Went through the sequence again. All played fine on first pass. On seconds pass, P4, P5 P7 (both) played fine. I stopped before the videos were done.
When I played P81, it started fine but ~5 seconds later blanked and returned to the Video menu. At this point, the network was gone again (Couldn't connect to network server)
(2021-01-14, 20:19)fandangos Wrote: BDMV folder do not work.

I installed this version on my Nvidia Shield Pro, 2019 version. It's connected to my Denon receiver and my LG CX TV. I get Dolby Vision. So that's a success. However when I play the "P5_Dolby_Amaze" demo I definitely see the micro stutter that others have mentioned. It plays smoothly in Plex.

So sadly it's probably not quite there yet.
(2021-01-15, 20:42)depechefan Wrote:
(2021-01-14, 20:19)fandangos Wrote: BDMV folder do not work.

I installed this version on my Nvidia Shield Pro, 2019 version. It's connected to my Denon receiver and my LG CX TV. I get Dolby Vision. So that's a success. However when I play the "P5_Dolby_Amaze" demo I definitely see the micro stutter that others have mentioned. It plays smoothly in Plex.

So sadly it's probably not quite there yet.

Well, that's too bad.

Also, micro stuttering can be intermittent.
A reboot on the shield, disabling and enabling DV can impact, the previews file you played can cause this.
Your NAS doing something during streaming.

Either way, are you a avid consumer of dolby vision test files?
Or do you watch many profile 5 content?

By the way, I only see streaming content in mp4, which do work on Kodi.
MKV for uhd bd remux content.

So are we actually missing anything relevant?
  • 27(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi + Shield + Dolby Vision0