• 37(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)
(2020-02-22, 17:20)jogal Wrote: HDR is disabled when start SDR video. Is done purposely for minimize HDR <--> SDR switching.

You will probably see several consecutive SDR videos or HDR consecutive videos. No switch in this case.

start in SDR

play HDR video  => switch display to HDR
stop
play HDR video => no switch
stop
play SRD video => switch display to SDR
sotp
play SDR video => no switch
stop
play HDR video => switch display to HDR
stop
exit to desktop => switch display to SDR

goto start Smile
This Auto detection is really cool but I have to admit I find it kinda confusing.
I'd rather have to return to SDR every time the playback of HDR has stopped - like the same with refresh rate where it goes to 24fps for the movie and then back to 30 or 50fps when playback has stopped.
Another idea would be to make this an extra setting: keep hdr / SDR until next content switch and the other option always revert to default (SDR or hdr)
sorry if I understand correctly to see the hdr content you do not have to activate the hdr from the windows menu and not even from kodi
(2020-02-22, 20:32)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-02-22, 17:20)jogal Wrote: HDR is disabled when start SDR video. Is done purposely for minimize HDR <--> SDR switching.

You will probably see several consecutive SDR videos or HDR consecutive videos. No switch in this case.

start in SDR

play HDR video  => switch display to HDR
stop
play HDR video => no switch
stop
play SRD video => switch display to SDR
sotp
play SDR video => no switch
stop
play HDR video => switch display to HDR
stop
exit to desktop => switch display to SDR

goto start Smile
This Auto detection is really cool but I have to admit I find it kinda confusing.
I'd rather have to return to SDR every time the playback of HDR has stopped - like the same with refresh rate where it goes to 24fps for the movie and then back to 30 or 50fps when playback has stopped.
Another idea would be to make this an extra setting: keep hdr / SDR until next content switch and the other option always revert to default (SDR or hdr) 
What he said  Blush

The switching itself is working great!
No not exactly.
I would prefer it to switch back to SDR after playing HDR and hitting "stop" - I don't need the Kodi menu in HDR mode.
It does also save on the backlight lifespan and reduces power consumption when HDR is off when not needed.

The current setting is to keep the last mode until a change is needed so when playing HDR it will stay in HDR mode as long until I start a SDR file - if I happen to browse the GUI, go to the bathroom or whatever it'll just burn electricity while being in HDR even if it's not needed.
(2020-02-23, 17:59)ichkriegediekri Wrote: No not exactly.
I would prefer it to switch back to SDR after playing HDR and hitting "stop" - I don't need the Kodi menu in HDR mode.
It does also save on the backlight lifespan and reduces power consumption when HDR is off when not needed.

The current setting is to keep the last mode until a change is needed so when playing HDR it will stay in HDR mode as long until I start a SDR file - if I happen to browse the GUI, go to the bathroom or whatever it'll just burn electricity while being in HDR even if it's not needed.

Quote:It's the inability of using my Emby server with v19 that keeps me from using this build. I only tested so far.

If nobody else thinks like you, I will not change it. Especially considering that you are not currently using this compilation.  Smile

In addition: The electricity consumed depends on the average brightness of all pixels. The OLED has no backlight. The pixels brightness approximately the same in HDR and SDR if an SDR image is being shows as is the case.

​​​​​​​In addition 2: Kodi GUI is dimmed when is not used for a time.
had a test and looking good but for me it going back to SDR from HDR would be oh so much better, can an option be added so we can choose? i have 512 LED dimming zones so the electricity soon adds up Smile
Quote:If nobody else thinks like you, I will not change it.

I literally said I think like him....

Nevertheless, it's pure logic to have Kodi return to a default state instead of switching between modes. No offense, but the choice of switching is weird and unnecessary. Perhaps this was easier to code, no idea about that. But the switching is so annoying I reverted to previous release.
(2020-02-23, 19:05)jogal Wrote:
(2020-02-23, 17:59)ichkriegediekri Wrote: No not exactly.

Quote:It's the inability of using my Emby server with v19 that keeps me from using this build. I only tested so far.

If nobody else thinks like you, I will not change it. Especially considering that you are not currently using this compilation.  Smile 
I'll also throw my two cents in and say that I also agree with him. HDR isn't used in that much content, just a relatively small number of videos and games. I think having the screen in SDR mode at all times and only using HDR when viewing HDR content is the most sensible course of action for now.

Your updates to Kodi are overall great, BTW! Great to see you still put work into it.
Quote:I think having the screen in SDR mode at all times and only using HDR when viewing HDR content is the most sensible course of action for now.

Make it optional, so I am not forced to an sdr desktop.... And yeah, I know all the drawbacks, but I don't care about them.
(2020-02-24, 07:53)Statler1978 Wrote:
Quote:I think having the screen in SDR mode at all times and only using HDR when viewing HDR content is the most sensible course of action for now.

Make it optional, so I am not forced to an sdr desktop.... And yeah, I know all the drawbacks, but I don't care about them. 
You can still disable the auto-switching in settings and manually toggle hdr in the start/power menu.
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
Hi

From the the looks of it I am not the only one preffering to use SDR mode as standard [emoji6].
I would use the HDR version in a heartbeat if Emby would run on it, but sadly it looks like that will take a while - that however doesn't keep me from testing pretty much every version you compile for us.

On the technical side:
It doesn't matter if it's OLED cells or a LED backlight. Whenever HDR mode is enabled the screen brightness is higher than with SDR, even if Kodi GUI is dimmed. And that puts extra wear on the hardware which should be avoided - its like idling you car at 5000rpm when 1000rpm would be just fine, simply doesn't make sense...
I love the auto-switching! I also think it would be better to return to the previous state, because in my case I also launch Steam from Kodi for example, and its interface isn't HDR.

In any case, thank you so much for your hard work @jogal! I know the automatic switching using Windows API was not easy at all!
(2020-02-21, 23:57)jogal Wrote: Version 3.0.0
Updated at 21-02-2020 (forked from Kodi 19 alpha master).

Auto switch HDR mode and color space.
Only toggles HDR in screen currently used by Kodi (if system has various HDR screens).
Changed behavior of setting "Use display HDR capabilities": now enables HDR auto switch mode.
Updated with latest master branch commits. Includes ffmpeg 4.2.2.

https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

Have fun!  Cool
Hi,
I would like to thank you for implementing the Auto-HDR function that I actually missed you. Thanks to that, you got to the level and even surpassed it by @fandangos, who did a great job too. Without you, I would never be as happy as I am now. Everything works, according to my wishes and wishes. You've finally done something, I've been waiting for so many years. Thanks a lot!
Hi jogal, still not an owner of an HDR screen but, regarding the HDR switch, I think that the interface of Kodi should always be in SDR. No skin is designed for HDR, as far as I know. Plus, I guess everybody keeps the GUI at 60Hz and movie/tv content requires 24Hz. So screen switches anyway, no? When playback starts it switches to 24Hz HDR, when playback stops it switches to 60Hz HDR. I guess it should switch to 60Hz SDR. What do you think?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
It is complicated to explain... GUI is currently always SDR 60 Hz because switch refresh rate from 24 to 60 works as always.

But has two modes:

1) Native SDR 60 Hz

2) SDR 60 Hz but with Windows HDR switch ON (Windows internally tonemaps SDR desktop or apps to "fake HDR"). Colors are rendered very, very similar to SDR... seeing the image you cannot know if it is native SDR or mapped SDR. Is Rec 709 color space mapped into Rec 2020 color space and transfer characteristics of SDR gamma 2.2 (not HDR PQ).

Because Windows switching is complicated and time consuming. Is used mode "2" only when is finished to watch HDR video and probably the next video is also HDR....

If next video is SDR is switched to real SDR. First switch resolution and refresh rate (as always). Second switch Windows HDR OFF. Third switch again resolution and refresh rate. (five or six seconds in total).

If you no watch HDR videos in all day, GUI and all videos are rendered all the time in SDR as always...

I think that this issue is being given too much importance... just when most people still don't use it....

To have confidence that if I have done it this way it is because I have a good reason for it. I have spent many hours doing tests with different configurations (Intel and NVIDIA) and this is how I have obtained the best experience....
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API (merged)2