• 15(current)
Beta Arctic Horizon 2
then we won't disturb too much so you can fully focus on this new skin
(2022-05-25, 09:21)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2022-05-20, 23:08)hdmkv Wrote: Keep checking back here every week ... hope a release is "Coming Soon..." Smile.

It's really close! I just finished up the last of the PVR and the Next Aired windows, which were the two big things I needed to get done. Then there's a few "first run" type things I need to sort out to bring it up to a usable state. Hopefully should be able to sort those out this weekend and have it ready for alpha release early next week.

There will still be lots of features I need to finish and bugs to sort out after release but that's the point of an alpha release!

Awesome! Your skins have always been my faves over many years of using Kodi.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Really looking forward to the release! Been using ah1 for like 2 years now and trakt and addon been acting up, easy fix to re-authorize but i rather wait for the ah2 and start fesh, thank you again and looking forward to AH2!
@jurialmunkey
Love Arctic Horizon and can't wait for the new version. Any update on release date please?

Ell.
Time for me to upgrade! Just transfered all my settings to an 18 fork and finally downloaded 19. Fresh copy ready for ah2. Thanks JM, I've been enjoying ah1 since you brought it out.
(2022-05-25, 09:06)jurialmunkey Wrote:  
(2022-05-21, 15:50)koby50 Wrote: please add the hebrew lang for it

Unfortunately won't be possible.

There are no modern fonts with multiple language support. Every modern web browser already has built-in support for character set fallbacks, so every modern font splits character sets into individual fonts. For some reason, Kodi's text rendering engine is stuck in the dark ages and doesn't support character set fallbacks.

The "Arial" font that tries to cobble together multiple language support into a "mega" font is not an acceptable solution. Until Kodi moves out of the dark ages and implements a modern font fallback engine, supporting non-Latin character sets is not really possible without significant design compromises (which I'm not willing to make).
you can use "secular one" font its works prefect on Hebrew and English 
I'm not asking you to change anything
Just add it as an option
(2022-05-29, 15:59)koby50 Wrote:
(2022-05-21, 15:50)koby50 Wrote: please add the hebrew lang for it

There are no modern fonts with multiple language support. Every modern web browser already has built-in support for character set fallbacks, so every modern font splits character sets into individual fonts. For some reason, Kodi's text rendering engine is stuck in the dark ages and doesn't support character set fallbacks.

The "Arial" font that tries to cobble together multiple language support into a "mega" font is not an acceptable solution. Until Kodi moves out of the dark ages and implements a modern font fallback engine, supporting non-Latin character sets is not really possible without significant design compromises (which I'm not willing to make).
Just add it as an option

Font styles are integral part of graphic design. Different fonts significantly change the look and feel.

Not to mention that different fonts have different spacings, line heights, and base lines which mean that they do not align correctly - it is not simply a matter of drop a different font in, bam good to go. The whole skin needs to be changed to accomodate different spacing.

The skin uses Roboto / Roboto Condensed. Normally with a proper font fallback system, it would be possible to use Noto fonts to fill in the blanks. However, Kodi doesn't support that, so you need combined fonts. If someone supplies a Roboto based font with filled in character sets using Noto then I can support it. Otherwise no.

Heebo would be a good option but unfortunately I cannot find a condensed version.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Heebo#standard-styles
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
I assume these font issues you talk about are what this PR aims to solve https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20552

Been a while since any progress was made onthe PR though, so not sure if it will make v20.
(2022-05-30, 08:16)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2022-05-29, 15:59)koby50 Wrote:

Just add it as an option

Font styles are integral part of graphic design. Different fonts significantly change the look and feel.

Not to mention that different fonts have different spacings, line heights, and base lines which mean that they do not align correctly - it is not simply a matter of drop a different font in, bam good to go. The whole skin needs to be changed to accomodate different spacing.

The skin uses Roboto / Roboto Condensed. Normally with a proper font fallback system, it would be possible to use Noto fonts to fill in the blanks. However, Kodi doesn't support that, so you need combined fonts. If someone supplies a Roboto based font with filled in character sets using Noto then I can support it. Otherwise no.

Heebo would be a good option but unfortunately I cannot find a condensed version.

I'm using "arctic horizon 1" with Roboto font that supports Hebrew characters and it's working flawlessly!
I can upload the font folder if it will help!
How can you try the skin?
He hasn’t released yet, alpha is coming soon. Its painful waiting, like waiting for Christmas as a kid lol. No doubt not as painful as having to design and code it all though.
Tongue 
(2022-05-30, 17:37)vansai Wrote: How can you try the skin?

Dude read the coments. 
It already say that this week will be an alpha to test.
@jurialmunkey Just want to say that you are my favorite skin designer. I use Kodi for 10 years or so, and always use your skins. Thanks for your hard work.
(2022-05-30, 15:14)talgold3 Wrote:
(2022-05-30, 08:16)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2022-05-29, 15:59)koby50 Wrote: you can use "secular one" font its works prefect on Hebrew and English 
Just add it as an option

I'm using "arctic horizon 1" with Roboto font that supports Hebrew characters and it's working flawlessly!
I can upload the font folder if it will help!
Is it Roboto Condensed?

Like I said, there is Heebo which is a Roboto+Hebrew font but it is not the Condensed version which is what I need.

I've managed to wrangle Heebo into a workable position using aspect tags to squash the font into a faked condensed version but it still isn't perfect 1:1 match. Plus there is a baseline issue that shifts the font up slightly and changes line spacing which is a problem for plotboxes.
(2022-05-30, 12:14)jjd-uk Wrote: I assume these font issues you talk about are what this PR aims to solve https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20552

Been a while since any progress was made onthe PR though, so not sure if it will make v20.
Yep thats the one. That PR would make a huge difference.

It is still a stop-gap solution as it relies on a single super font that combines all the "other" non-latin characters (rather than individual fonts for each character set). But since it proposes to use Noto, it would at least solve my specific issue as that is the compliment font to Roboto.

However, It will still be a problem for skins not using Roboto/Noto as they will need to make their own super font rather than being able to specify individual fall-back fonts.

A single combined font will also be a disk space hog as you need to install All character sets rather than just the specific one you need.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arctic Horizon 20