Solved Etiquette for resource reuse???
Lightbulb 
What is the proper etiquette for using resources that exist in existing skins both current or past?

I have a few flags and other things I like that I would incorporate.

Since the whole thing is (for the ones I'm looking at) GPL, is it ok to just use the icons and not have to reach out for approval to anyone?

Please advise.

Thx.
Kodi: Nexus v20.5 | Skin: Madnox.redux : Current Version: 20.00.11 | Forum | Madnox.redux v3 Repo
Mr. V's Original Source
If it's GPL you should be fine to use without asking but it can be nice to give a credit or ask first for something original where someone clearly put in a lot of work. Also if you're uncertain can be good to ask because sometimes people don't pay attention to their licenses properly.

It's mostly a matter of just use your best judgement. Some things a lot of skins clearly reuse (e.g. video codec flags) so I wouldn't worry too much about those, whereas there's other things which might not technically require an attribution but it would be appreciated nonetheless.

Pretty much the response will nearly always be "yeah sure go for it!" but it's still nice to be asked anyway.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Very good, I'll take that to heart and proceed accordingly. TY.
Kodi: Nexus v20.5 | Skin: Madnox.redux : Current Version: 20.00.11 | Forum | Madnox.redux v3 Repo
Mr. V's Original Source
I'm pretty sure that textures are not covered by the GPL. Creative Commons are more applicable, IMO.
(2024-03-14, 14:57)sarbes Wrote: I'm pretty sure that textures are not covered by the GPL. Creative Commons are more applicable, IMO.

So things like media flags and such?
Mr. V's Original Source
Yes. All textures.
So how do you reconcile that statement on your skin (Kodi) on your own repoHuh

I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm seriously asking because I have intent to use and change some on my skin and I found a few I like and want to adapt.

Code:

Estuary by phil65 (Team Kodi)

Code:

Estuary Artwork is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License. You can find the license details here: <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/>.

Code:

Estuary code work is licensed under GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 2.0 You can find the license details here: <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0>.

Textures fall under artwork, do they not?

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Quote:You are free to:
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format for any purpose, even commercially.
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Mr. V's Original Source
sarbes said that textures aren't covered by GPL but instead they're covered by Creative Commons, not that you can't share or use them them.
(2024-03-14, 22:28)Hitcher Wrote: sarbes said that textures aren't covered by GPL but instead they're covered by Creative Commons, not that you can't share or use them them.

Yes, you are correct, so I guess I'm covered not matter what. 

But anything I find, I will still reach out to the author regardless.... since... courtesy.

TY
Mr. V's Original Source
(2024-03-14, 14:57)sarbes Wrote: I'm pretty sure that textures are not covered by the GPL. Creative Commons are more applicable, IMO.

You can license textures/artwork under GPL. It just isn't a great license for artwork so most people choose to split the license with GPL covering code and CC covering artwork. This will then be stated in the skin license (e.g. like Estuary in the example above).

(2024-03-14, 22:49)kittmaster Wrote: Yes, you are correct, so I guess I'm covered not matter what. 

If the skin artwork assets are licensed under CC-BY-SA, then those assets (or any assests derived from them) must also use that same CC-BY-SA license in the new work (i.e. you must license using the same). The CC-BY-SA license also requires attribution, so you must say where you got the work from.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Etiquette for resource reuse???0