Kodi 19 - sporadically no Sound and Video freezes
(2021-10-22, 21:34)jogal Wrote: As reference you can use settings listed here on "RECOMMENDED SETTINGS":

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349861

once you see that with the minimum changes it works fine

Anyway, a NUC7x I think is a bit fair today since it is not the same as a NUC8x. I can only guarantee that it works perfect on the 8.
The posted settings work good for both nuc7 and NUC8. Only the problem sometimes occurs.

Still testing 19.2 in default config. Seems ok up till now … we will see.
Do you have menu sounds enabled?
(2021-10-22, 22:08)SakuraKira Wrote:
(2021-10-22, 21:34)jogal Wrote: As reference you can use settings listed here on "RECOMMENDED SETTINGS":

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349861

once you see that with the minimum changes it works fine

Anyway, a NUC7x I think is a bit fair today since it is not the same as a NUC8x. I can only guarantee that it works perfect on the 8.
The posted settings work good for both nuc7 and NUC8. Only the problem sometimes occurs.

Still testing 19.2 in default config. Seems ok up till now … we will see.
Do you have menu sounds enabled?

It's not just NUCs, I stupidly updated my HP Microserver from a perfectly working 18 to 19 when I saw 19.1 stable was released and get the exact same issue. No change with .2 or .3 as already mentioned. Stupidly I didn't take a backup before updating so stuck with this crap for now.
Just chiming in - I have recently upgraded to 19.2/19.3 from 17.7 DS Player version, given the general fix to the Atmos issue.

I am having this issue as well, but have not done nearly enough work in terms of troubleshooting.

My setup is a Win10 computer with 1030TI graphics card connected to Denon X6200w receiver and Vizio P659-G1 television.

My issue is similar - after turning on receiver and TV (Kodi is already running) sporadically, when pressing play, the video starts then stops with no sound, the GUI comes back up but video seems to still play, etc. or there is a delay/freeze, possibly a crash. I am using passthrough audio.

I thought initially it was because of changing inputs and going back, but it can happen if I turn off the system and just turn it back on later (with PC left on).

I will continue to investigate and report back if I have anything further, including logs.

For the original poster - can you confirm this never occurred before? There were a few instances once in a while with 17.6 where I had to stop and start the video to get sound to work.
(2021-11-01, 18:10)Deam Wrote: I am having this issue as well,

I highly doubt that it is the same problem

Please pay attention to what jjd-uk tells you:

(2021-10-30, 16:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Please create a new post on the Windows forum, as all issues on Windows were thought to have been fixed, the issues being discussed here are Andoid only Although it may sound like similar symptoms it might be a totally different underlying issue so posting here could end up causing confusion.

Please create a new post on the Windows forum.

Do not add yourself to other open threads without knowing if it is the same. This creates confusion.
(2021-11-01, 18:10)Deam Wrote: I have recently upgraded to 19.2/19.3 from 17.7 DS Player version

Sounds is not clean install ?
(2021-11-01, 19:56)jogal Wrote:
(2021-11-01, 18:10)Deam Wrote: I have recently upgraded to 19.2/19.3 from 17.7 DS Player version

Sounds is not clean install ?
Upgrade is the wrong word here - I meant just moving to new version.
It is a clean install, running in portable. Both my 17.7 and 19.3 are in separate folders, run portable.

Now - I am trying again with no addons whatsoever as a test as that is always step 1 in diagnosis.

As an aside - I will again take the chance to thank you for your work in progressing HDR and Atmos issues!

EDIT: I had presumed at least in my case/system there has always been an issue with the audio/video chain from the PC, to the AVR and the TV.  Unrelated to audio issues (though perhaps linked?) using prior versions of Kodi, if set to full screen the screen may also have turned on all black, and I would have to press Win+1 (where the Kodi app is on my taskbar) to get it to show.  Windows was still on and would come up with pressing the Win key but clearly something went wonky).

I have separately removed the various monitor configs from the registry as alluded to above to see if that helps.
(2021-11-01, 19:54)jogal Wrote:

(2021-10-30, 16:25)jjd-uk Wrote: Please create a new post on the Windows forum, as all issues on Windows were thought to have been fixed, the issues being discussed here are Andoid only Although it may sound like similar symptoms it might be a totally different underlying issue so posting here could end up causing confusion.

Do not add yourself to other open threads without knowing if it is the same. This creates confusion.
Don't know if you've accidentally cross posted as you couldn't be more wrong with reference to this thread, this IS the Windows forum and the symptoms are identical...

Support > General Support > Windows > Kodi 19 - sporadically no Sound and Video freezes

The only thing that's different is this is happening on normal PCs rather than NUCs which shows the issue is a general Windows one which should mean anyone trying to help doesn't go down a blind ally thinking it's a hardware issue.
(2021-11-01, 19:54)jogal Wrote:

Hi there - okay I didn't see this when replying.  Unlike the prior post you reference (which admittedly was in the wrong OS section but at that point at least was the only discussion-point for the Atmos issue and another in Linux), my issue actually is the same description as the original poster and this is the Windows support forum.

I get no sound in Kodi sometimes when starting a video; it also seems to go back to loading (or in my case back to the menu sometimes), I lose sound in Kodi menus, and quitting the program can take a long time or it crashes.

I'm happy to make a new post with logs once I to testing again - this just seemed to be on point. Unless you mean because its NUC not generally a Windows machine?
(2021-11-01, 20:49)b1ggles Wrote: The only thing that's different is this is happening on normal PCs rather than NUCs which shows the issue is a general Windows one which should mean anyone trying to help doesn't go down a blind ally thinking it's a hardware issue.

Ok so you help each other and I'm leaving here Smile
This thread is all over the place with users posting different issues, which need their own individual post with proper debug log to be suitably addressed. Bringing demands, drama and accusations to the thread helps zilch. There has been a developer in this thread and from what I see, is encountering argumentative nonsense with vast reasoning.
(2021-10-21, 17:54)SakuraKira Wrote: last working was 17.3 and many plugins won’t work anymore
Wonders of wonders... the move from python 2 to python 3 over 3 years caught everyone off guard Sad smack. The ancient plugins may no longer be supported, suggest there is no shame in running 17.3
(2021-10-22, 21:24)SakuraKira Wrote: but sometimes it takes 30-40 files until it shows.
Random at the 30 to 40 file level, smacks of network or hardware, if the issue shows up on 4 units of the same user, it's likely a configuration, network, or o/s issue. Suggest Portable vanilla installation on one device with default everything, local source. Prove it's functionality, should there still be an issue, present a debug log from the occurrence with the symptoms, the debug log will be small.
(2021-11-03, 18:50)PatK Wrote: This thread is all over the place with users posting different issues, which need their own individual post with proper debug log to be suitably addressed. Bringing demands, drama and accusations to the thread helps zilch. There has been a developer in this thread and from what I see, is encountering argumentative nonsense with vast reasoning.
(2021-10-21, 17:54)SakuraKira Wrote: last working was 17.3 and many plugins won’t work anymore
Wonders of wonders... the move from python 2 to python 3 over 3 years caught everyone off guard Sad smack. The ancient plugins may no longer be supported, suggest there is no shame in running 17.3
(2021-10-22, 21:24)SakuraKira Wrote: but sometimes it takes 30-40 files until it shows.
Random at the 30 to 40 file level, smacks of network or hardware, if the issue shows up on 4 units of the same user, it's likely a configuration, network, or o/s issue. Suggest Portable vanilla installation on one device with default everything, local source. Prove it's functionality, should there still be an issue, present a debug log from the occurrence with the symptoms, the debug log will be small.

Since I am the one initially starting this thread, I will once again answer even though the most is answered already.

I never accused the developer. But I think what I wrote was not read. And the attitude seems to be „Kodi is fine, it is you dumb user“ did not really help with finding the problem.
He also seemed a bit annoyed and also quick to judge and thin skinned. If anything he goes aggro quickly on people posting. Maybe he reads to many of the „not working“ posts which is not really good if you are a developer.
What I post is not meant to aggravate or to deny that Kodi 19 is great. It just is a problem which I am trying to solve.

As also mentioned a couple of times.
I ruled out the network-stack since it also occurs on local files.
It occurs on my newly made portable installation as well. And after a fresh windows install on a fresh Kodi with local files. With Kodi 19.3. But it takes a lot of loading files to get there. That is the problem with sporadically.
On 4 different machines and sporadically which means Debug Log is pretty annoying to get. And the Debug Log is huge since sometimes it occurs after trying 50-60files which all adds to the log respectively.
It seems to occur more often after a lot of new files have been added. Sometimes randomly many times on the same file. Sometimes weeks without problems.

After being accused of „not wanting to try out“ (while I already ruled out the most things since I already tried and described it previously), or beeing a layer 8 problem (even though vanilla install with fresh windows is foolproof in my eyes) and not posting debug logs correctly („even though I did but pastebin does not hold it for half a year) I lost interest to try and solve the problem lately. I have not much time at my hands so restarting the PC is ok for me now.

I think the problem does not really occur while starting a file but with closing and freeing up the AE sink, which happens every time you close the file or the audio changes. Which then cannot be used anymore and the old handle from Kodi is still open what also prevents it from closing.
It may occur more likely when the file takes some time though adding steps before starting like hdr switching or refreshrate-Change.
You can see this in the log btw. The line I also pointed out. Also adding up if you have AVR or soundbar in the middle or it just was coincidence.

It happened once to me while watching over my surface … this was on 19.1. so I am really sure this is not only a NUC Problem. While reading around and searching for AEInit:failed I came across people having a similar issue and no fix to be found.

I don’t use Linux on these machines because I also use other windows programs.
If I get time on my hand (having a house in building and an annoying job making this a bit of a problem for me) I will try the Linux version out.
Quote:For the original poster - can you confirm this never occurred before? There were a few instances once in a while with 17.6 where I had to stop and start the video to get sound to work.
I had this problem but the sound did not stop completely. It worked again on the next file

This time Kodi will not play any fine with sound after occurrence and I have to shut Kodi down (remove it from task manager since it stays there) an restart it.
Or reboot which is faster via HomeKit Command.
(2021-11-18, 16:31)SakuraKira Wrote: I am the one initially starting this thread
And you rightfully own it, my post was to point this out. I'd like to think Kodi developers are special, and given latitude us peons are unaccustomed to, they are exacting in their perception of the work they do and unfortunately have the same expectations of us and can appear abrasive while only well meaning; don't take it personally. 
(2021-11-18, 16:31)SakuraKira Wrote: Sometimes randomly many times on the same file. Sometimes weeks without problems.
Expectations are pretty high with that statement. Looking back at first post, and if I were to guess the suspect, it would be networking handshake. Not many people would have your exact set-up. so if there's a fix for this, it will most likely be coming from you.
Hmm I think it is not the specific setup but yeah it occurs randomly.

At first I thought so too, that my network poses a problem so that the file is not loaded.
But I tried local files (like I said) and these seem to have the same problem.
4K HDR Movies seem to be the most prone to this.

What I don’t understand is why the sound never again works. Something is using the AudioEngine and blocking it.
Which also prevents Kodi from shutting down.
I would be satisfied if the problem persists but the sound returns after closing the video stream.

Like I said, I can only solve my side and after searching the Debug Log entries I came across some people with this problem.
Does anyone owning a NUC8 have different graphics drivers than the ones on intel’s NUC8 page?
I use the latest available and had not time to try different generic Intel graphics drivers.

It would be helpful if jogal could post the driverversion he uses on his working NUC8 setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19 - sporadically no Sound and Video freezes0