Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2014-05-02, 03:20)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-30, 23:44)Hostirad Wrote: [ -> ]Just went through an experience similar to McButton's. Thought I had everything set up: installed Ubuntu alongside Chrome, installed XBMC, and tried watching a show via Icefilms. Seemed to work although audio was messed up. But when I rebooted I got stuck in the black screen / booting the kernel hangup. Was finally able to restore to factory and am trying again, following each step more closely. Stuck now on making the ChromeOS backup. I run the chromeos-install command as per the wiki, and start getting messages about partitions being installed to the removable media:
Installing partition 12 to /dev/sdb
Installing partition 11 to /dev/sdb
etc. until
Installing partition 5 to /dev/sdb
then there is a very long wait, screen goes black, system reboots. Ctrl-U does not boot USB or SD card (I've tried both), but Ctrl-L followed by ESC allows me to choose 2, the removable device. But then system says booting from hard drive.
It would seem that the ChromeOS is not being completely installed on the USB stick or SD card. Suggestions?

This puzzles me, as I don't see any messages like that ('Installing partition x to /dev/sdb') when doing the backup. The ChromeBox should not reboot automatically when complete, it should instruct you to do so.

So I tried some new things. I put Hexxeh's Chromium OS Vanilla on a USB stick to see if I could boot the Chromebox from it. Hit Ctrl-L and ESC, and there it was listed as option 2 after the hard disk. So I chose it and got a message saying the system was booting from the hard disk. But then it actually booted from the USB and Chromium ran great on the Chromebox.

Next, I decided to reformat my SD card with a full rather than quick format and try to make a backup of the Chromebox OS again.Here's a screen showing how I've typed the chromeos-install command at the bottom. Note that sdb is the USB stick I used to successfully boot Chromium, and sdc is SD card I've chosen to try to copy the Chromebox OS to:
First screen

The next screen shows all of the messages that displayed after entering the the chromeos-install command. Once again, the system stopped for a long time after the message "Installing partition 5 to /dev/sdc." That's when I snapped the photo. But, this time the process continued to "Installing partition 3 to /dev/sdc." Another very long pause. Then the system rebooted, apparently before the OS was successfully copied to the SD card.
Second screen
Still open to suggestions.
Same happened to me. It won't install to the card in the slightest.
I installed the OS from the Chrome backup program, in Windows Safe Mode w/ Networking. Popped it in, and it loaded up when I picked it.

Dual booting to test it out wouldn't work at all with my sd. It was just the OS verification screen the whole time.
Any idea what's causing those stutters? http://m.imgur.com/o8XeQJD they only appear when I navigate through the menu
(2014-05-02, 03:20)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-30, 23:44)Hostirad Wrote: [ -> ][...]I run the chromeos-install command as per the wiki, and start getting messages about partitions being installed to the removable media:
Installing partition 12 to /dev/sdb
Installing partition 11 to /dev/sdb
etc. until
Installing partition 5 to /dev/sdb
then there is a very long wait, screen goes black, system reboots. [...]

This puzzles me, as I don't see any messages like that ('Installing partition x to /dev/sdb') when doing the backup. The ChromeBox should not reboot automatically when complete, it should instruct you to do so.

On another Chrome OS site Jay Lee writes:

Now we can run:

sudo chromeos-install --skip_src_removable --skip_dst_removable --skip_vblock --dst <insert /dev/whatever from above step>

chromeos-install is a script to copy Chrome OS to another drive. Normally the script is meant to copy from a removable device to a SSD or hard drive but we're going in the reverse direction, thus we need the --skip_src_removable and --skip_dst_removable options to turn off those checks. The --skip_vblock option is needed to prevent an error message that should not matter anyway. The --dst option allows you to specify the destination device you determined in the previous 2 steps. So on my Intel-based Pixel Chromebook and using a USB drive I would run exactly:

sudo chromeos-install --skip_src_removable --skip_dst_removable --skip_vblock --dst /dev/sdb

this command will output some details about the install process and may spit out errors if there's trouble copying to your drive (USB drives and SD Cards fail after awhile, get a new one if you need it).

By this account, there are some messages about the OS copying process displayed on the screen. Why my process stops in the middle remains a mystery. I've never had problems with the USB stick and SD card before, so it's hard to believe that they are to blame, especially since there was no error message displayed. I could try buying a brand-new, highly rated flash drive or SD card, but that seems like shooting in the dark to me.
The stutter... No clue. I did have mine freeze when navigating while a vids was playing. Is theft the OpenElec version? The processor? Do I just need more RAM?

Otherwise, perfect so far. Kills Ouya for most everything.

Now, for the copy errors, I used 7 or 8 different media to record the OS to. None worked for me either. Just do the safe mode thing I posted. Works fine.
(2014-05-02, 22:38)Hostirad Wrote: [ -> ]So I tried some new things. I put Hexxeh's Chromium OS Vanilla on a USB stick to see if I could boot the Chromebox from it. Hit Ctrl-L and ESC, and there it was listed as option 2 after the hard disk. So I chose it and got a message saying the system was booting from the hard disk. But then it actually booted from the USB and Chromium ran great on the Chromebox.

The legacy BIOS only reports booting from hard disk or floppy disk, so not a good indication of what's actually going on.

Quote: The next screen shows all of the messages that displayed after entering the the chromeos-install command. Once again, the system stopped for a long time after the message "Installing partition 5 to /dev/sdc." That's when I snapped the photo. But, this time the process continued to "Installing partition 3 to /dev/sdc." Another very long pause. Then the system rebooted, apparently before the OS was successfully copied to the SD card.
Second screen
Still open to suggestions.

I'd have to look and try to capture a screen shot earlier in the backup process, but mine looks a lot different at the end: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ju87nlflifpnq...192321.jpg
That would be the perfect ouya killer for me if I can find a way to fix those stutter and the launch time of the movie from the movie section.. (it's instant in the tv-show section.. all files coming from the same computer) I'm looking everywhere but can't find a way to fix this ! I'm running XBMC Frodo 12.3 on Ubuntu 13.10.

I can live with the overscan in the Ubuntu Desktop since that is coming from my TV but the 2 problems stated before are from XBMC :/
(2014-05-03, 17:25)Netix Wrote: [ -> ]That would be the perfect ouya killer for me if I can find a way to fix those stutter and the launch time of the movie from the movie section.. (it's instant in the tv-show section.. all files coming from the same computer) I'm looking everywhere but can't find a way to fix this ! I'm running XBMC Frodo 12.3 on Ubuntu 13.10.

I can live with the overscan in the Ubuntu Desktop since that is coming from my TV but the 2 problems stated before are from XBMC :/

Why are you running 12.3 rather than 13.0 RC1?
(2014-05-03, 17:38)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-03, 17:25)Netix Wrote: [ -> ]That would be the perfect ouya killer for me if I can find a way to fix those stutter and the launch time of the movie from the movie section.. (it's instant in the tv-show section.. all files coming from the same computer) I'm looking everywhere but can't find a way to fix this ! I'm running XBMC Frodo 12.3 on Ubuntu 13.10.

Why are you running 12.3 rather than 13.0 RC1?

To be honest, I got no idea.. I installed XBMC following the wiki : http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._for_Linux

It installed 12.3 by itself..
(2014-05-03, 17:49)Netix Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I got no idea.. I installed XBMC following the wiki : http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._for_Linux

Use the 'unstable' repo listed there on the wiki and then reinstall, and you should get 13.0 RC
(2014-05-03, 17:52)Matt Devo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-05-03, 17:49)Netix Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I got no idea.. I installed XBMC following the wiki : http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._for_Linux

Use the 'unstable' repo listed there on the wiki and then reinstall, and you should get 13.0 RC

Ok I upgraded to 13.0 RC. Fixed a weird resolution problem I had that only my wife was able to see (cropping) but the stutter on the right side are still there.. and it still take 30sec to load movie from the movie section. Maybe I should try the statfiles fixe on SMB : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml#samba
Im using 2 attached externals. All good. Loads up in 1 sec. I've read Ubuntu had some issues... Maybe in the Chrome announcement section?
Here's a log of when I launch a movie .. don't know If that can help.. ! Took about 20-25 sec

http://pastebin.com/RQuMHX5d

Here's another one with a tv show where it's instant

http://pastebin.com/jEqC9xcE

Thank again guys !
Hrmmm...I will say, mine has frozen like 5 times today. I have Aeon Nox running... Figured chromebox could handle it. I wasn't even playing vids. Just clicking around. I wounder if I can disabled stuff to make it better? I have it on Amber now. Seems 1 cpu is 100%. The other is like 12. Nox had it are like 40.... No clue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13