Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Nope. I hit, held, pushed, ctrl+d 30 times at different load intervals. Still nothing. Only ctrl+i works...... Shoot

I'm in. I reset it. Only turned on. Smashed ctrl+d 100 times.... Welcome to chrome. Holy crap.

..... And then, it loaded...... And back to the black kernel screen. It works if I hold ctrl d while powering on. Can I access anything from the login screen? I can get there.
you can open a shell using CTRL-ALT-F2 and do everything you need from there. But what are you trying to do at this point?
Keep it working... And do openelec only. Time to make a proper backup and start at line 1.1 again....

Thanks much for all the help!
How do you guys even know any of this stuff? You wrote a Wiki article..yet I can barely find any of the same info anywhere online. Clever.

The XBMC Wiki is down. Time to be productive until it's back.
(2014-04-28, 03:06)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]How do you guys even know any of this stuff? You wrote a Wiki article..yet I can barely find any of the same info anywhere online. Clever.

The XBMC Wiki is down. Time to be productive until it's back.

here's a cached copy on Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9579...20XBMC.htm

as for figuring it out, I just synthesized a lot of information that was already available - the ChrUbuntu script, wiki pages on Chrome/ChromiumOS, Coreboot and SeaBIOS, etc. The parts that I figured out myself were relatively minor (how to get OpenELEC to install, dual boot, etc and the MCE remote fix for Linux + USB 3.0)
Neat. Keep up the good work. Some day, everyone will use xbmc =)

May want to note that in (sudo fdisk -l | grep 'Disk /dev/sd') that is a -L. I tried a ton of stuff. I couldn't tell what that was.
What happens when doing 1.5 / part 3. Backup... when it's done checking bad blocks, then goes down to dev/sdb: unknown usb bridge [ and Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option? I cant get it to actually write to the card.
(2014-04-28, 04:13)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]May want to note that in (sudo fdisk -l | grep 'Disk /dev/sd') that is a -L. I tried a ton of stuff. I couldn't tell what that was.

will note that when the wiki comes back up

(2014-04-28, 08:04)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]What happens when doing 1.5 / part 3. Backup... when it's done checking bad blocks, then goes down to dev/sdb: unknown usb bridge [ and Smartctl: please specify device type with the -d option? I cant get it to actually write to the card.

never ran into that problem, try another USB drive? You are using the leading forward slash before 'dev', correct?
Yeah. It's finding my card, just not writing to it.

Ok. I can't make a backup. I don't care. I did everything in part 1. I went down to OpenElec. Made my stick, put in, and can't Ctrl+L anywhere. Nothing gets me there. After I complete everything, I still boot to a black screen (SeaBIOS (version -20140405_201740-john-lewis) and have to hold CTRL+D to get Chrome to boot before I hit power. Ideas? I can't believe this is so tough...

I've set the boot flags to default, I put them to auto L. Notta. Still back to where I was. At least I can get INTO Chrome. It just doesn't do it auto anymore nor can I use OE, which is all I want to do anyway.
I believe I have to take the return/refund option. Chrome ninja said my OS was probably messed up. No clue how. I can only get to the main screen from dev login. Beyond that, no commands seems to push forward. It shows they do..... Oh Chromebox, we tried. Like 8+ hrs in.

....Nuc time, I suppose. Seems much easier. Maybe I can snag a 2830. Saw a 2820 on amazon for $160 yesterday... Then gone.

Xbmc, why can't I use you? Why must Ouya hate you so hard?
(2014-04-28, 20:38)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]I believe I have to take the return/refund option. Chrome ninja said my OS was probably messed up. No clue how. I can only get to the main screen from dev login. Beyond that, no commands seems to push forward. It shows they do..... Oh Chromebox, we tried. Like 8+ hrs in.

understand your frustration, but don't think it's past the point of no return. sent you a PM
Is it normal to just boot to the BOOTING THE KERNEL. screen when you turn it on? I ran everything one last time from scratch. Ctrl-L works nowhere at all..anywhere.
When I start my box, I can only do anything by holding down ctrl-d when it starts. Then I go to normal Chrome OS. I can get to the commands screen from there. If I reset, back to black. Hrmm...think think... The place I got it from said it seemed odd too. They offered to swap me, but.... I don't know. I just want a win here! Ha. It's the nerd in me that won't give up on the programming of this blasted technology. All so I can watch Neverending Story one more time...

I vote it's fried. Can I set my BIOS back to stock? My backups are worthless too. Dev mode won't write properly and the tool only works in safe mode, then just basically resets me back to where I an after 20m. Just trying to set it back to whatever is close to factory... Especially if it goes back. Don't want anyone freaking out.
(2014-04-29, 03:58)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]Is it normal to just boot to the BOOTING THE KERNEL. screen when you turn it on? I ran everything one last time from scratch. Ctrl-L works nowhere at all..anywhere.
When I start my box, I can only do anything by holding down ctrl-d when it starts. Then I go to normal Chrome OS. I can get to the commands screen from there. If I reset, back to black. Hrmm...think think... The place I got it from said it seemed odd too. They offered to swap me, but.... I don't know. I just want a win here! Ha. It's the nerd in me that won't give up on the programming of this blasted technology. All so I can watch Neverending Story one more time...

I vote it's fried. Can I set my BIOS back to stock? My backups are worthless too. Dev mode won't write properly and the tool only works in safe mode, then just basically resets me back to where I an after 20m. Just trying to set it back to whatever is close to factory... Especially if it goes back. Don't want anyone freaking out.

that is 100% normal/expected behavior if you have the firmware boot flag set to boot to the legacy BIOS by default. The back screen with SeaBIOS at the top is the legacy BIOS. CTRL-L on the dev boot screen (white screen w/'OS Verification off' text) takes you there.

CTRL-D on the dev boot screen boots to ChromeOS. If you want to change the firmware boot flags back to the default (30s timeout, boot to ChromeOS vs legacy) then follow step 1.7 of the wiki and set the flags to 0x0.

Given where you are however, I would just follow step 1.3 to re-flash the updated legacy BIOS, then step 2.2.1 to install OpenELEC. You're really close, I promise!
I haven't seen OS VERIFICATION OFF since the second I started. I've never seen it again.... I have the Legacy and a white screen telling me that my OS is corrupt. I can't get to the Dev Boot screen. CTRL-D ONLY works when I hold it down while holding the power button to start...which ONLY lets me get to the Chrome OS. I updated the legacy bios. I set the flags to 0x0. I can't go anywhere to load OpenElec in Sad

Can I get there from within Chrome maybe?
(2014-04-29, 05:19)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen OS VERIFICATION OFF since the second I started. I've never seen it again.... I have the Legacy and a white screen telling me that my OS is corrupt. I can't get to the Dev Boot screen. CTRL-D ONLY works when I hold it down while holding the power button to start...which ONLY lets me get to the Chrome OS. I updated the legacy bios. I set the flags to 0x0. I can't go anywhere to load OpenElec in Sad

when you power on, it immediately boots into the legacy BIOS (black screen with SeaBIOS up top)? If so, try hitting ESC repeatedly after power on. Could be that your monitor isn't syncing quickly enough and you aren't seeing the dev boot screen
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13