Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Google searched. Starting up with ESC & F3 gets me there... going forward
(2014-04-29, 05:25)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]Google searched. Starting up with ESC & F3 gets me there... going forward

gets you...where -- dev boot screen?
I found everything I need. ESC & F3 got me to the ON/OFF screen.

Im backing up one more time and almost at OpenElec.

Is there a way to just boot OE from Chromebox without a stick?

Do my OE cover art and files just save to the HD?

---Backup still didn't work. I guess I don't need it at this point. I've wrecked this thing twice and came back without a problem...
TIP: Black screen with info. No options. Power off system/Power on holding ESC & F3 boots to OS VER screen. CTRL-L boots to my boot screen where I can pick if I hit ESC.

Surprised nobody else had this issue....

NOW, I can select the drive with OE on it, but it just reboots me back to the black screen with LITTLE text about the BIOS (doesn't look the same as the legacy screen...some of the same text though)...Booting the kernel. Nothing. Like before.

I downloaded OE again...now when I select it, it just boots to the OS verification screen.

Infinity loop. Win!

Tried 2 other USB/Flash drives. Notta. Can't get OE to boot.
Re-downloaded OE. I then put the zip, the extracted folder, AND the OE created stick files. Still nothing booted. It just doesn't seem to catch it. I followed the tutorial from the very beginning again. A little better results this time. I feel like I'm going to be an expert at all thing wrong with this process.
Black screen + small text "booting kernel" = booting from the internal HDD in legacy mode without OE installed.

what file are you downloading that you use to make the OE USB installer? what OS are you creating the USB install stick in? And what happens when you boot in legacy mode, hit ESC, then choose the USB install stick from the boot menu?

I just posted a new OE build on the wiki page (3.95.7) so be sure you are using that
I got OE from the wiki. I made the stick. (getting the new one now)

I'm using Windows 7. When I'm in legacy, I can pick the internal HD or the stick. I pick the stick, it boots me back to the OS verification screen.

**I just got the new OE. I'm in. ........I think I peed a little bit.....

Ill mess with the settings tonight. I'm assuming Quick Install or Setup OE.

Would I need to BIOs Update #4 option? I wouldn't think so.

Anyway, thanks for everything. I'll post the success once this clears. My head hurts. I owe you a box of Lucky Charms. Smile
The OE quick install is the only option you should use, as per the wiki Smile
Got it, but when I boot, it goes to the OS VERIFY screen. I have to hit ctrl-d to get to openelec or let it wait. Why won't it auto boot? I set the timer flags. It takes maybe 30sec....hits the bios screen... Then OE. Can I speed that up?

... If only I could get my Aeon Box back......

Now I have to figure out a remote.
(2014-04-30, 04:47)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]Got it, but when I boot, it goes to the OS VERIFY screen. I have to hit ctrl-d to get to openelec or let it wait. Why won't it auto boot? I set the timer flags. It takes maybe 30sec....hits the bios screen... Then OE. Can I speed that up?

Do we only get confluence? I suppose ill have to dig a bit.

on the dev boot screen (OS verification off), you hit CTRL-L to boot to OpenELEC via the legacy BIOS. CTRL-D won't do anything since you no longer have ChromeOS installed (well, technically it will try to load ChromeOS, fail, and take you to the recovery screen). You can shorten the 30s delay to 1s and have it boot to the legacy BIOS (and into OpenELEC) by default by setting the firmware boot flags to 0x489 as described in section 1.7 of the wiki. However, you need to do that from ChromeOS, which is why the bootable USB backup copy is useful

Since you indicated that you had difficulty making the backup copy, you'll likely have to restore ChromeOS, set the flags, then re-flash the updated legacy BIOS and then reinstall OpenELEC via USB
Sorry. I meant ctrl-l. I did set the flags to 0x489. I made sure =/

No clue. This thing runs much nicer than the Ouya so far. Still trying. Since my backup is junk, I'm probably stuck.

.........nm. I hit 488. I was so close. I got it. Thanks!

Once Nox is back, and I have my remote, I'm golden.

Excellent work!
(2014-04-30, 05:27)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry. I meant ctrl-l. I did set the flags to 0x489. I made sure =/

No clue. This thing runs much nicer than the Ouya so far. Still trying. Since my backup is junk, I'm probably stuck. Shoot.

if the flags are set to 0x489, then it will say so in the upper left corner of the dev boot screen, and your boot delay will be 1s and won't require any keyboard input to boot.

it's quick enough to reset now that you know what to do Smile
Yeah. I just have to put the Chrome OS back in, which is tricky. I don't understand why I can't get the Chrome Backup Program to work nor would it push from the Chromebox. I used about 7 different devices. Doing it in Safe Mode kinda works, but it only works once then kills the card, which then needs a special program to format, because Windows only formats a few MB off.

Trying now. From scratch, I could burn an OE setup in about 15mins. I almost have the dang codes memorized. I don't know why I needed to do an alternate route to get everything going, but OE works at least.
I used a 16GB USB3 stick I got off Amazon for $9. Maybe the drive you were using was too small?
I'm using a 16 now. It was what I used the 1st time.
Anyway, I'm back to factory. I'll have this thing singing in 15min.

I'm glad I don't have to send this back. All the vids that freaked on Ouya, work great here. It froze up on one vid when I was smashing on the keyboard...just clicking bunches of stuff, but whatever. I played full episodes and they actually sounded clearer than the Ouya. Off to Ebay you go, Ouya.

What do we think about using Flirc? I didn't want to get a MCE, but I guess I won't see the dongle with it being beside my TV. I don't want BTooth, because it doesn't seem to stay connected. I'd do an RF if I knew how that would work. I think Boxee was RF, and it was awesome.

Do you have a donate link or something? I'd throw you something for the assist. Much appreciated for sure.
never used Flirc, always had a MCE receiver and a Harmony remote. Guess it depends on what sort of remote you plan on using? One of the main benefits of the MCE receiver (besides it working perfectly with XBMC) is that you don't have to have the ChromeBox visible for a stubby IR receiver
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13