Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
lol thanks Matt.

Here is a question. Has anyone "broken" the recovery button? When I insert the paper clip it seems to hit nothing now. Was there something there that has been dislodged? I even took the cover off to check, but the paper clip seems to go straight through.
(2014-04-25, 18:11)SirStreamalot Wrote: [ -> ]lol thanks Matt.

Here is a question. Has anyone "broken" the recovery button? When I insert the paper clip it seems to hit nothing now. Was there something there that has been dislodged? I even took the cover off to check, but the paper clip seems to go straight through.

haven't heard of that. so you don't feel a click any longer?
No. I am not sure what the paperclip is supposed to press against inside the box. Mine does not seem to be making contact with anything. Maybe someone can open their box and have a look.
(2014-04-25, 20:27)SirStreamalot Wrote: [ -> ]No. I am not sure what the paperclip is supposed to press against inside the box. Mine does not seem to be making contact with anything. Maybe someone can open their box and have a look.

look at the red circle in this pic for the write-protect screw; the recovery button is located at 45° (NE) of that circle

http://www.deconetworks.com/wp-content/u...hrome1.jpg
Got my Chromebox. Hit all the steps. Tried doing a backup, and it errored. Box reset, and now I can't get into dev mode or the OS. Ideas? I tried downloading the backup from the website, but the installer freaks on the last 2 seconds and errors off, leaving me with a .tmp file. I then put that tmp into WinImage to fix it, then that gets an error. Any way I can just grab a backup file from somewhere online without having to download from Google's server?

Also, the Wiki 1.1 step 3 and 4 may need to be transposed?
I vote Backup be listed as #1 Smile I'd suggest throwing the link for Google backup in case you forget, but it's jacked anyway.

I'm where others got stuck...
The black screen:

SeaBIOS (version -20140214_142106-build123-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu

Booting from Hard Disk

I can't do anything on this screen. I can go to recovery, but I can't recover. Shoot.
I may or may not have cleared the boot options before adding the OpenElec step. I don't remember...
Got it. I feel as though there should be a Wiki on self recovery.
That was harder than it should have been, but now it's not so difficult.

Download the RECOVERY TOOL to your PC. Run, pick your model, input an sd card to write to (must be Fat32 in most cases. Sandisk MAY have issues), and if your installer doesn't complete, run the program in "safe mode with networking."

It definitely takes a while to recover once started.

Win.
...the fun never ends.... back to 0.

The box reset, and Im now at a SMALLER black screen that says:

Press ESC for boot menu
Booting from Hard Disk
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linus...Parsing ELF...Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

***If I put openelec in or the boot disc, I get a long list of codes that start with Kernel panic - not syncing dm-verify failure ...other stuff...

...the nothing...ESC wont work. Alt+F2 takes me to a black screen that I can type and hit enter but nothing happens. Commands don't work. ...and the sd card I just used to restore no longer works for a 2nd restore. Help?
(2014-04-27, 06:30)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]...the fun never ends.... back to 0.

The box reset, and Im now at a SMALLER black screen that says:

Press ESC for boot menu
Booting from Hard Disk
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linus...Parsing ELF...Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

***If I put openelec in or the boot disc, I get a long list of codes that start with Kernel panic - not syncing dm-verify failure ...other stuff...

...the nothing...ESC wont work. Alt+F2 takes me to a black screen that I can type and hit enter but nothing happens. Commands don't work. ...and the sd card I just used to restore no longer works for a 2nd restore. Help?

that SeaBIOS doesn't support booting off USB3.0... you need to flash it to the John Lewis bios referenced here: http://johnlewis.ie/asus-chromebox-owners-rejoice/

You can only do this in chrome...... so if you don't have that anymore, you need to reload (or boot to the chrome usb backup you made per the wiki). You boot to the chrome os by using ctrl - u (instead of ctrl - L or ctrl - d) when the white screen first flashes.

Once in chrome.... don't login.... do ctrl - alt - F2 to get to command prompt.... login using root.... and flash the file from the website above. Once you do this you should be able to boot off the openelec flash drive you have...

Hope this helps.
I can't get to chrome. It just gets me to the screen to input the backup. I do, it resets and loads back to the black. I can use a paperclip and get back to the same white screen I had that has the bios listed at the top. MY backup did nothing. The one FROM the google app just does the above. How do I clear this thing? Am I bricked because of the boot flags? I didn't think you could mess these up...

Ctr...and nothing works
(2014-04-27, 17:45)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]I can't get to chrome. It just gets me to the screen to input the backup. I do, it resets and loads back to the black. I can use a paperclip and get back to the same white screen I had that has the bios listed at the top. MY backup did nothing. The one FROM the google app just does the above. How do I clear this thing? Am I bricked because of the boot flags? I didn't think you could mess these up...

Ctr...and nothing works

I had some issues restoring from backup with flaky SD/USB media, so try another drive. To do a restore, power on the ChromeBox with the recovery button pressed (paperclip) then insert your recovery SD/USB drive and it should go from there. If it reboots immediately, it means there's an issue with your recovery media
I've use 5 dif cards..... My backup that works is the one from the recovery program...... Which I HAVE to do in safe mode to get to save to the card.

The white reset area comes up... But wont do anything when I reset it all. 20m rebuilding then back to nothing. No clue.
(2014-04-27, 20:54)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]I've use 5 dif cards..... My backup that works is the one from the recovery program...... Which I HAVE to do in safe mode to get to save to the card.

The white reset area comes up... But wont do anything when I reset it all. 20m rebuilding then back to nothing. No clue.

So the ChromeBox goes thru the recovery process (the ~20mins) when you insert your recovery media, right? If you had previously set the firmware boot flags (gbb) to boot to legacy, it's still going to do that after the recovery. If you want to boot to ChromeOS, you'll need to hit CTRL-D at the dev boot screen. Otherwise it will boot to the (broken stock) legacy BIOS and then just hang because there's no valid 'legacy' OS installed.
At the boot, ctrl+d does nothing on plugged or wireless keyboard. It just sits at the black screen saying its going to lies the kernel.... Then sits for eternity. I can go past to a full black screen, but I can only type words. No commands work.

On the dev, white screen, I can ONLY change the language. I think I can click ctrl+i for more info about the bios and flags. That's it. That screen auto has this into in the top left in black letters. I can just expand it for no reason. I know those flags are killing me. I thought I already updated the new boss manually during setup.... Apparently not.

3hrs and I'm of work. Give me a glimmer of hope. Big Grin
(2014-04-27, 22:38)McButton Wrote: [ -> ]At the boot, ctrl+d does nothing on plugged or wireless keyboard. It just sits at the black screen saying its going to lies the kernel.... Then sits for eternity. I can go past to a full black screen, but I can only type words. No commands work.

On the dev, white screen, I can ONLY change the language. I think I can click ctrl+i for more info about the bios and flags. That's it. That screen auto has this into in the top left in black letters. I can just expand it for no reason. I know those flags are killing me. I thought I already updated the new boss manually during setup.... Apparently not.

3hrs and I'm of work. Give me a glimmer of hope. Big Grin

you need to hit CTRL-D on the white dev boot screen (with the black/white boot flag text in the upper left corner). Hit it a few times if it doesn't seem to take. Some keyboards (both wired and wireless) seem to have issues working at that point in the boot process. Once it gets to the black legacy bios screen it's too late. Even if you did manually update the legacy BIOS before, doing a factory reset with the recovery media put the original one back on.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13