Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Rockchip RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC experience?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
Hedda how does a question, as to where something comes into play, become assumptions...?
Then you assume I dispute code changes in kodi which I don't.... I just want to understand on what level they are made and how buggy it's going to be.
It is a user related issue when complaints about these bugs becomes a finger pointing game between android and xbmc code changes..
There will be a lot of users out there experiencing RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC for the first time and they will be given the runaround by vendors with regards to these issues.
So where does the buck stop?
Good thing is koying assigned himself to the coding yesterday.
Sorry for looking at this from a user perspective but that is where my roots are.
forgve me for asking, as a simple user -not understanding much about all tech details- ...i am about to buy such a device, android box top, so, would it be wise to buy one of those new devices?
A conclusion (from all those pages so far) for all us the not so ...tech gurus would be yes, or, hell no
In my case (and i think also for other people landing in this page too) whats important is run xbmc and watch movies at 1080 max resolution, as smooth as possible

PS bought another device from ebay, was cheap so i cant complain, but, was totally wrong for kodi. A10 processor i think, crashes all the time, cpu load 99% all the time, freezes all the time.. so, this time, i thought to ask first Smile

thanks in advance ..
I would not buy an RK3288 box just yet. It will most likely all work out, and I would be surprised if it didn't, but I cannot tell you how long that might take.
Some info here now about a test build with HEVC support here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1803928

(2014-09-29, 13:58)Willem55 Wrote: [ -> ]It is a user related issue when complaints about these bugs becomes a finger pointing game between android and xbmc code changes.

There will be a lot of users out there experiencing RK3288 SoC based Android media players and XBMC for the first time and they will be given the runaround by vendors with regards to these issues.
Yes you are absolutely right about that, but as a FOSS software project XBMC/Kodi will probably always suffer from fly-by-night operations and resellers just looking to make a quick buck by selling boxes pre-installed with XBMC/Kodi without offering first-line support themselves, and any users who get fooled into buying such devices will almost always be left to rely best-effort support from the community.

The main thing you have to remember here is that XBMC/Kodi is a FOSS software that runs on multiple operating systems and on multiple platforms, so you can never compare your box XBMC/Kodi installed to boxes like Ruku, TiVo, or Popbox which is manufactured by one commercial company so the end-user will always have the security of a single-point of entry for support which is either the the vendor or the box manufacturer, as they will always fully support everything that is pre-loaded on their boxes and act as single point of contact for all issues no matter where the root cause is, so the user never need to think about where to turn for support.

This is exactly why unless the person that will end up using the player a early adopter enthusiasts (that can accept and live with all the bugs) should not just go out and buy any cheap Android box online and expect XBMC/Kodi to run on it without bugs.

If the person who will be the end-user really want to use XBMC/Kodi (thus knowingly accept that it itself is not always user-friendly) but also just want stuff to work without too many bugs then they should instead go buy a box where either the vendor or box manufacturer offer first-line support of XBMC/Kodi directly to the end-user.

First-line support by vendor or box manufacturer at least means that the end-users does not come straight here to to XBMC/Kodi community forum, but instead the end-user contact the vendor or box manufacturer with any issues they have and the vendor or box manufacturer then have in-house support technicians and developers which in in turn filter that information and either solve the issue themselves or submit a professional support request upstream to XBMC/Kodi,

Pivos is a very good example of a XBMC/Kodi box manufacturer which offers first-line support with its own in-house support staff. And in the future we can only hope that more box manufactures like MiniX and Cloud Media will follow in the foot steps of Pivos and also provide good first-line support with its own in-house support staff which can directly try to help end-users with all issues and faults on their boxes no matter if the root cause is hardware, drivers, codecs, operating system / firmware or a bug in media player application like XBMC/Kodi.

(2014-09-29, 13:58)Willem55 Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to understand on what level they are made and how buggy it's going to be.
It is very complicated, again see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=204331 which again points to other threads for further questions.

History tells us that there is no firmware or software without bugs, and it is sure getting easier to blame someone else when like in this case, Rockchip is the hardware manufacturer thus responsible for drivers and codecs, Google makes the Android operating system but the box or board manufacturer are responsible for the box/board specific Linux kernel and firmware package, then XBMC/Kodi makes the media player application.
(2014-09-29, 17:14)rykios Wrote: [ -> ]forgve me for asking, as a simple user -not understanding much about all tech details- ...i am about to buy such a device, android box top, so, would it be wise to buy one of those new devices?
A conclusion (from all those pages so far) for all us the not so ...tech gurus would be yes, or, hell no
In my case (and i think also for other people landing in this page too) whats important is run xbmc and watch movies at 1080 max resolution, as smooth as possible

PS bought another device from ebay, was cheap so i cant complain, but, was totally wrong for kodi. A10 processor i think, crashes all the time, cpu load 99% all the time, freezes all the time.. so, this time, i thought to ask first Smile

thanks in advance ..

My advice to a simple user not understanding much about all tech details would be to wait until team kodi had a public release on kodi 14. and the early adopters claim success on their RK3288 boxes.
As soon as I get mine I will load the kodi 14 nightly and do my testing.... but just on the movies and audio I now have.... I don't have HEVC H256 movies or even a 4K display.. so I'll skip that until it becomes relevant.

Next big milestone is android 5 upgrade in a few months.. or when the mediaplayer also becomes a game console and all has come full circle..
Those of you asking for Linux on RK3288 support should checkout Firefly RK3288 Development Board and Rikomagic MK902II LE:

Firefly-RK3288 Development Board with Linux support discussion:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=205393

Rikomagic MK902II LE ("LE" for Linux Edition) discussion:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=205411

As a reminder I once again ask you to respect that this thread is about RK3288 experience discussion on Android, not Linux.
(2014-09-29, 18:50)Hedda Wrote: [ -> ]Those of you asking for Linux on RK3288 support should checkout Firefly RK3288 Development Board and Rikomagic MK902II LE:

Firefly-RK3288 Development Board with Linux support discussion:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=205393

Rikomagic MK902II LE ("LE" for Linux Edition) discussion:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=205411

As a reminder I once again ask you to respect that this thread is about RK3288 experience discussion on Android, not Linux.

Thank you for those links. Do you know if the Linux version of the hardware will be flashable with Android? Personally I'd rather have Android due to apps like Netflix and certain games but it's nice to have Linux as an option to increase the lifetime of a device's usefulness.
It looks like Rockchip is coming to the table with regards to it's HEVC implementation.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...ding/page2

Post 24.

I look forward to seeing the open discussion forum that gets created.
(2014-09-30, 02:03)Bluesmanuk Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like Rockchip is coming to the table with regards to it's HEVC implementation.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...ding/page2

Post 24.

I look forward to seeing the open discussion forum that gets created.

If this is legitimate and an actual partnership sharing of the code as required by GPL, then the Tronsmart becomes an option again! (It was in googling xbmc support for the device on the forums that I discovered this thread in the first place because I want one but wanted to be sure it would have good support for xbmc.)
From the freaktab forum post #24 from mo123:

Quote_________________________________________________
XBMC H265 Hardware Acceleration

I just asked Rockchip about their new XBMC app and they told me they will open a discussion on XBMC forum to explain the codecs, video playback and give support for H265 video playback.
As easy as that.

The previous H264 hardware acceleration took over a year to work on RK3188 devices and still only work on a specialized SPMC build, not mainline that matured less than a month ago.

Anyway H265 playback is going to work much sooner than expected.

I just hope there aren't going to be more posts on the RK3288 forums to bash Rockchip or the manufacturers for XBMC for no reason, since they are trying hard to make their devices work better.
End Quote_____________________________________________

Now lets see if this was some Rockchip marketing BS or if they really will provide the source codes..
Quote:they will open a discussion on XBMC forum

Funny place to post source code!
I'll get skewered by some of the freaktab crossovers for this ...

...but it's not 'bashing' to understand and insist that release of the sources is the only truly legitimate 'working relationship' that can exist based on the non-compliant xbmc.

I know some are flattered by claims that rockchip will post to a forum to 'explain codecs, video playback and give support to H265 video playback'; but nothing in that proxied statement foretells of an impending code release. In fact, releasing the sources would be much more orderly (and I believe preferred) and wouldn't involve all that extraneous ... I'll just say shucking and jiving.
That is still assuming Rockchip has possession of the source to begin with..
(2014-09-30, 13:51)shomari Wrote: [ -> ]I'll get skewered by some of the freaktab crossovers for this ...

...but it's not 'bashing' to understand and insist that release of the sources is the only truly legitimate 'working relationship' that can exist based on the non-compliant xbmc.

Oh I agree, but sometimes you just have to give people enough rope and see what they do with it. It's the only way to get an accurate account of things...
give people enough rope and see what they do with it...........Like hang themselves...
Love the machiavellian approach and you're right... assumption of guilt only serves the guilty.
Saying the manufacturers will certainly screw the xbmc community without really knowing their intentions is giving them the license to do what you've expected them to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37