Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
[font][font]PVE 8 -> Debian 12 -> 书呆子[/font][/font][font][font],
用pve安装kodi成功运行,发现控制UI是横屏,没有可以设置屏幕反转90度的功能,也没找到对应的kodi屏幕参数修改,大佬sos[/font][/font]
@bashi

We are an English forum. Please also post a translation. Google Translate
[font][font]收到[/font][/font]
[font][font]大家好。[/font][/font]
[font][font]1.在pve8.0上安装kodi并运行成功后,发现UI是横向的。[/font][font](使用[/font][/font]
[font][font]GPD Micro PC)[/font][/font]
[font][font]2、屏幕界面旋转竖屏(+90、-90、+180、-180 度)无此功能。[/font][/font]
[font][font]3.尝试修改对应kodi屏幕上的参数,但没有找到对应的目标路径和参数。[/font][/font]
@bashi

English please. Google Translate
receive
Hello everyone.
1. After installing kodi on pve8.0 and running it successfully, I found that the UI was in landscape orientation. (Using
GPD Micro PC)
2. The screen interface rotation vertical screen (+90, -90, +180, -180 degrees) does not have this function.
3. Tried to modify the parameters on the corresponding kodi screen, but the corresponding target path and parameters were not found.
I am running Kodi from Debian, 20.2, on the same n100 hardware but on ubuntu 23.10, kernel 6.5.0.10. standalone mode, GBM.
HEVC playback works very well but trying to play AV1 causes an instant crash (with either av1 hw accel enabled or disabled). Did you try AV1, could you get it to work? Orndo we need ffmpeg6 for that?

@All, any advice on how to get the Chorus2 web interface into Kodi for Debian? The wev interface they ship does not even work (for music), and installing Chorus from the official kodi repo adds the old Chorus1; i need chorus 2 but couldnt find it packaged as an addon in a zip file
(2023-11-14, 21:57)htpcero Wrote: [ -> ]I am running Kodi from Debian, 20.2, on the same n100 hardware but on ubuntu 23.10, kernel 6.5.0.10. standalone mode, GBM.
HEVC playback works very well but trying to play AV1 causes an instant crash (with either av1 hw accel enabled or disabled). Did you try AV1, could you get it to work? Orndo we need ffmpeg6 for that?

Is there any specific test sample to try?

(2023-11-14, 21:57)htpcero Wrote: [ -> ]@All, any advice on how to get the Chorus2 web interface into Kodi for Debian? The wev interface they ship does not even work (for music), and installing Chorus from the official kodi repo adds the old Chorus1; i need chorus 2 but couldnt find it packaged as an addon in a zip file

Thanks for the report on this as well! I thought Chorus2 is packaged in official Kodi repo. Will check and get back to you.
AV1 test file:  https://www.elecard.com/storage/video/Ci...x2160.webm
I hard-crashes kodi in my setup. Sometimes it plays 3-4 seconds (enough for me to check that AV1 HW or SW decoding got engaged) and then it crashes, an more often it crashes immediately.
I am running this on an intel N100 SBC that supports hardware av1 decoding, and I can see that in the VA information in the kodi log, also in the Player setup the option of enabling/disabling HW decoding for AV1 shows up together with the other supported codecs (hevc, etc).

RE Chorus2, yes the regular kodi distro ships with it but kodi-from-debian "patched it out" for some reason. And the web interface that it ships with it's so old that it doesn't work, I was unable to browse my music library at all. For my use case this is a showstopper as I use the web interface.

Another problem I noticed in my tests was with the kodi-pvr-iptvsimple add on, the latest debian package (the one from sid, available in the recent ubuntu 23.10 release) is actually very old, not the true latest one that can be found in the kodi-team PPA in ubuntu's launchpad. This is another showstopper for my use case.

Lastly, not 100% confirmed yet, there could be a problem with the libcurl, I believe Kodi's is patched to solve issues with some real time streams when the CDN is cloudflare, and these patches are not part of debian's libcurl (and will never be), so that's a problem. I'm still trying to fully confirm if this is impacting my use case.

p.s. thanks for looking into this. I really wanted to use kodi-from-debian (the ubuntu kodi-team ppa is no longer supported in newer ubuntu versions including 23.10) however for now I had to revert to kodi-team builds, I force-installed the latest debs built for 22.10 and the few ones available 23.04, and surprisingly the install is working fine.
recommend providing basilgello with a full Debug Log showing the crash

for comparison, the file plays fine on debian bullseye w/kernel 5.10.0-26-amd64, v19.5 from debian doesn't trigger hw decode but doesn't crash, v21 self compiled plays perfect on same setup and does use hw decode

suspect kernel version may be a factor

this is on intel TigerLake GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]

-----

only attempting to provide contrasting information from a 'similar' setup
Hi there,
I'm having a problem with UPNP streaming that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.
I am using minidlna on a Raspberry Pi as a media server. I am running Kodi on another computer on my local network where I consume my media.
Until recently I have been able to watch content from my raspberry on Kodi without issue but it seems one of the updates on either the Raspberry or the Debian Kodi system has borked it.
Basically I can find and add the minidlna video source but I can't watch anything. When I select a video to watch, it just reports "Couldn't connect to network server".

I can watch content from the Raspberry on other devices without issue using VLC. (Both on my laptop - running Debian as well and on my Android phone).

I'm running Debian Bookworm on the machine in question and Kodi version 2:20.1+dfsg-1.
All the UPNP options are enabled within Kodi and I'm not running a firewall on this box.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Hi Lads!

Is it possible to install Kodi as standalone (e.g. openbox) on a Debian server without any Desktop Environment to keep it as minimal as it can be?
The goal is to use my built homeserver (Debian 12) as HTPC (with Kodi). Something like in this thread (Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server) but without Ubuntu. Unfortunately this method not working on Debian because of some fundamental differences of the two OSs. I don't have such a Linux skill or knowledge to fix it.
The server have to capable of filesharing (SMB+AFP), Webmin for management and running containers for web apps. As I understand LibreELEC won't fit these.

Thanks!
I basically did that under Ubuntu. Just create a file "/etc/systemd/system/kodi-gbm.service" containing:

Code:
[Unit]
Description = kodi-standalone using gbm
After = systemd-user-sessions.service network.target sound.target network-online.target

[Service]
User = kodi
Group = kodi
Type = simple
PAMName=login
ExecStart = /usr/bin/kodi-standalone
ExecStop = /usr/bin/killall --user kodi --exact --wait kodi.bin
Restart = always

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target
This bug has been around for a few years now:
to reproduce:
When Kodi starts (and is still "scanning" for content)
- go to Kodi's menu, and click poweroff/shutdown.

Observe that the GUI, including mouse pointer, will freeze - and remain "frozen" until the scanning process is completed - then it does shut down.
I believe same bad experience can be seen on clicking exit (exit Kodi) while scanning.
Hello everyone,
I am planning to install Kodi on a Debian 12 system set up in headless mode, meaning it's currently operating without a desktop environment or window manager, strictly through the command line.
My goal is to have Kodi launch automatically at system startup, acting as the system's primary interface. To achieve this, I'm seeking clarity on a few points:
Is it necessary to install a display manager like LightDM or a component like GBM (Generic Buffer Management) for Kodi to function correctly in a headless Debian 12 environment?
If the installation of such a component is essential, which would be the better option for a minimalistic setup like mine? Are there any specific advantages or disadvantages of using LightDM vs GBM in this context?
I am looking for the most streamlined and efficient setup possible. Any insights or recommendations you could provide on the necessity and choice of these components would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time and assistance.
I run a similar setup (but using ubuntu instead). With GBM you dont need X11 nor any display manager. It's the lightest setup. The GBM libraries come installed by default, so nothing to install beyond the standard kodi packages. For kodi to launch automatically all you have to do is create a systemd service that runs on boot and launches kodi standalone with the gbm option. This is very well documented in the archlinux wiki.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14