Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Thanks Olympia! My XBMC experience is complete!

Just a note on the filezilla connection.

I thought it would need to be port 21. Just use port 22 and username xbmc and password xbmc.

For the rest of the Linux Noobs Smile
So I followed the install wiki for Intrepid. During a boot, XBMC starts and I quit to exit XBMC. I get the Ubuntu login page and I proceed to login, and XBMC launches again. It repeats itself.
I booted into maintenance mode to disable the xbmc startup so I could get to the desktop. Is this happening because xbmc is set to run at every init level?
supernoman Wrote:So I followed the install wiki for Intrepid. During a boot, XBMC starts and I quit to exit XBMC. I get the Ubuntu login page and I proceed to login, and XBMC launches again. It repeats itself.
I booted into maintenance mode to disable the xbmc startup so I could get to the desktop. Is this happening because xbmc is set to run at every init level?

This is unbelievable! Are you blind?

Could you please count me how many red and bold warnings tells you NOT to use the guide, especially the autoboot section for a full ubuntu install with gnome?

To help you out, I counted myself for you. 5, (FIVE) warnings until you reach the autoboot section. It was also mentioned that it's specially true for the autoboot part. Did you think that these warning are there as a jokes?

What are you expecting after that?
Yes, maybe it's too harsh, but if somebody is not reading, but complaining....
supernoman Wrote:So I followed the install wiki for Intrepid. During a boot, XBMC starts and I quit to exit XBMC. I get the Ubuntu login page and I proceed to login, and XBMC launches again. It repeats itself.

There is an easy workaround for this - while in XBMC, instead of quiting just press CTRL+ALT+Backspace. Then when the login window comes choose a different session and choose "Failsafe Gnome". You will be able to login normally to Gnome and XBMC won't start automatically Wink

Olympia: Maybe you can include this on the guide as a dirty workaround for the "visually impaired"? Wink
doubt it. If they indeed are unable to see 5 warnings in red bold there is no way they are gonna se what you wrote Wink
Strange thing happened today. My optical sound stopped working. All the settings in xbmc are correct but I dont hear any menu sounds or video playback audio.

It was all working fine yesterday.

This morning I put a new 1tb hard drive in that is formatted to ext3 and shared the drive after installing samba. So that I can access it from a vista box. The share works great.

From then on I had no sound. Not sure how that could of stopped the sound working. Unless the computer is looking for information relating to alsa on the wrong driveHuh

I tried to run the alsa upgrade script as per the guide. That didn't work.
Then I reinstalled xbmc using the following

cd $home/XBMC
make reallyclean
svn up
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
make -j2
sudo make install

That didn't work either.

I would also like to note that for some reason the computer is seeing the first drive with ubuntu installed on as dev/sda and the new 1tb drive as dev/sdb but occasionally on reboot they are the other way round. It will see the new drive as /dev/sda although it still boots off of the original drive.

Can anyone suggest what might have caused the audio problem?
Thanks! Looks promising! I will try that out tonight.
If only I could read...

Anywho, I couldn't do the mini install since it wasn't detecting my HDD correctly so I had to do the full install. I think I'll just write a script to work with a full install of Ubuntu. The wiki works fine for everything else.

The-Boxhead Wrote:doubt it. If they indeed are unable to see 5 warnings in red bold there is no way they are gonna se what you wrote Wink
How about using this guide with Intel graphics (gma 950) ?
How is this method different to Live? I loved the feel of Live, the one problem was without a full X, I couldn't launch emulators/mythfront-end, is this the same here?
PainToad Wrote:How is this method different to Live? I loved the feel of Live, the one problem was without a full X, I couldn't launch emulators/mythfront-end, is this the same here?

Well, this is a min install with no windows manager, however you can easily apt-get a window manager and the call it from the application launcher.

If you use a lot of external apps though, this may not be the way you want to go.

xnappo
The only external apps I will use is emulators and mythfront-end (though the MythBox plugin might replace this). How would you incorporate launching the gdm into Application Launcher at the same time as the emulator launches?
PainToad Wrote:The only external apps I will use is emulators and mythfront-end (though the MythBox plugin might replace this). How would you incorporate launching the gdm into Application Launcher at the same time as the emulator launches?

I don't have that exact setup, but something like this in a shell script you launch from apps launcher:

metacity &
firefox
killall -9 metacity

Launches and backgrounds window manager, launches application as a foreground task. When the foreground task dies, window manager gets killed. BTW - I didn't come up with this, ripped it from somewhere else in the forums.

xnappo
Thanks, that was what I was thinking, however, for emulators you generally have to pass the rom name to the script, eg. znes mariokart. Would that work? Can you daisy chain parameters? My Bash skills are rather limited sorry Blush
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44