Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO get Live TV with VDR working in XBMC for Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Well, hats off to you Freezy!
The guide was brilliant.. a few things seem to have changed since it was put together, but I have fumbled through and have working VDR + XBMC!

I've made notes of all the parts I had to do that weren't in the notes, and will put them into some sort of order in the morning so the guide can be updated.

One thing I am having problems with though is the channels.conf (i'm currently using a downloaded one for Astra 28.2 but most of the channels are from germany)
I scanned my card (first tuner is a Hauppage Nova HD S2 - DVB-S/2) by running ;
scan ~/Astra-28.2 > channels.conf
It picked up all the channels and put them into the conf file, which I then copied to /etc/vdr.
However when I launch 'runvdr' I was getting the error "vdr: error while reading '/etc/vdr/channels.conf'"
I initially used the scan command from your guide (I have a second tuner in the PC which is DVB-T) but that also gave the same problem.. as soon as I used the one I downloaded from the internet it worked fine Huh

Thanks!

**EDIT**

Ok, a little sleep sussed this one.. never trying setting anything up in Linux when your a noob at 1am :p
Scan requires the parameter '-o vdr' to give output that is compatable with VDR..

Now just need to figure out why the EPG is only showing info for about 6 channels!
Ok, well I think I just have to wait a while for the EPG?
I can stream all channels fine but only see EPG data for a few channels (I have nearly 300)
Looking around the wiki and searching google it would seem there isn't any way to force an EPG update (as the button isn't implemented into XBMC yet)
So I have set EPG scan timeout to 1hour, and I'll just leave it alone for a bit and see if it updates.

Also I noticed whenever I enter the 'timeline' view for the EPG that XBMC crashes with 'segmentation fault' - I guess this could be because no data is there for some of the channels.. anyone else have this issue ?

Anyway, looks really good so far - channel changing is RAPID!!
semerchet Wrote:I don't think so. I've no problems with stability in jaunty. The problem with the hdtv-channels is a xbmc-related problem, maybe not for a long time. There i a ticket for this. :-)
I want to use jaunty, because i use pulseaudio with bluetooth a2dp stereo headset.

I gave Jaunty another shot. The stability issues of XBMC was related to the latest nvidia beta driver I installed (185.18.04).
I switched to the previous version and all my problems are gone.
By the way, XBMC sometimes crashes displayng HDtv channels.

@freezy
I used different libraries for xine, wich support vdpau without any patch and there is no need to install ffmpeg:

xine libraries with vdpau
Quote:sudo -s

apt-get purge ffmpeg libavutil49 libavcodec51 libavdevice52 libavformat52 x264 libx264-dev libavcodec-dev libxine-dev xine-ui

apt-get install git-core yasm texi2html libtheora-dev libxvidcore4-dev libcdio-dev libvcdinfo-dev libfaad-dev libfaac-dev libmp3lame-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libxvidcore4-dev libpng12-dev zlib1g-dev libfreetype6-dev libslang2-dev checkinstall subversion flex autoconf cvs libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev libjpeg62-dev libcap-dev libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev

apt-get build-dep libxine-dev
cd /usr/local/src/
svn co svn://jusst.de/xine-vdpau #it includes the win32 codecs
cd xine-vdpau
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make -j6
checkinstall --fstrans=no --install=yes --pkgname=xine-vdpau --pkgversion "svn`date +%Y%m%d`-12ubuntu3"
ldconfig

xine-ui #for testng
Quote:cd /usr/local/src
apt-get install libxt-dev
# WARNING! We're going to install LIRCD and with this you can configure your remote if you want it used through LIRCD
apt-get install lirc lirc-modules-source lirc-x liblircclient-dev
wget http://home.vrweb.de/~rnissl/xine-ui-cvs...00.tar.bz2
tar xivf xine-ui-cvs-20090412200000.tar.bz2
cd xine-ui
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-vdr-keys
make -j6
checkinstall --fstrans=no --install=yes --pkgname=xine-ui --pkgversion "cvs-20090412200000-12ubuntu3"
ldconfig

Next vdr can be installed. The latest xinelibout plugin supports vdpau.
Well I've left it for a few hours and no update to the EPG.. is there another setting somewhere I need to configure ?

Also I haven't figured out how to combine my DVB-T channels into the channel list..
I have one DVB-S tuner (currently can view channels through VDR) but I also have a DVB-T tuner for some channels I can't get on Freesat, can anyone point me in the right direction for adding these channels so that I can have a mix of DVB-S and DVB-T ?

Cheers!
Swifty Wrote:Ok, well I think I just have to wait a while for the EPG?
I can stream all channels fine but only see EPG data for a few channels (I have nearly 300)
Looking around the wiki and searching google it would seem there isn't any way to force an EPG update (as the button isn't implemented into XBMC yet)
So I have set EPG scan timeout to 1hour, and I'll just leave it alone for a bit and see if it updates.

Also I noticed whenever I enter the 'timeline' view for the EPG that XBMC crashes with 'segmentation fault' - I guess this could be because no data is there for some of the channels.. anyone else have this issue ?

Anyway, looks really good so far - channel changing is RAPID!!
Hi Swifty,
you can force an epg update using the svdrpsend command. It must be something like that:
Code:
svdrpsend SCAN

You have to do that only one time, vdr is caching its epg data. And if you are using only one dvb-card, be sure not to watch tv while scanning, so vdr can change transponders as he need. You can follow the scan in /var/log/syslog.

The timeline crash is a known issue, they are working on it.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, I have just tried your suggestion but I get a terminal message saying svdrpsend isn't installed and can be installed via apt-get install vdr..
I guess if I do this it's going to re-install the current VDR release over mine, so I haven't done it.
I've done some reading on the command and it mentions you can simply telnet in to VDR on port 2001 but that doesn't seem to work either..

**EDIT**
Ok scratch that I'm in over telnet (not sure what I done differently..) EPG scan has now been triggered!

Thanks Steve!!
Hi i followed your guide, and its really great. Only I get stuck on one point.

Code:
vdr@UbuntuStation:~/src/vdr/PLUGINS/src$ wget http://xbmc.org/raw-attachment/ticket/5595/streamdev-cvs220409_xbmc-v6.patch
--2009-05-05 13:25:53--  http://xbmc.org/raw-attachment/ticket/5595/streamdev-cvs220409_xbmc-v6.patch
Resolving trac.xbmc.org... 74.200.73.166
Connecting to trac.xbmc.org|74.200.73.166|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
--2009-05-05 13:25:53--  http://trac.xbmc.org/blog/index.php
Resolving xbmc.org... 74.200.73.166
Reusing existing connection to trac.xbmc.org:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2009-05-05 13:25:53 ERROR 404: Not Found.

vdr@UbuntuStation:~/src/vdr/PLUGINS/src$
Now I've found another link:
wget http://www.xbmc.org/trac/attachment/tick...c-v6.patch

This one work when downloading but when I try to patch it I get.

Code:
vdr@UbuntuStation:~/src/vdr/PLUGINS/src$ patch -p0 < streamdev-cvs220409_xbmc-v6.patchpatch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.
vdr@UbuntuStation:~/src/vdr/PLUGINS/src$

Can you help me out with this one?

Figured it out.

wget http://www.xbmc.org/trac/raw-attachment/...c-v6.patch
is the correct link.
Thanks Freezy for your great How-To

The final release of XBMC 9.04 is available.

Can you update your How-to with it ?

Thanks a Lot

Olivier Beeckmans
Basically you could just update to the latest revision instead of the one mentioned, and see if the patch applies correctly (chances are good). The Babylon PPA is obviously of little use, since you'll need to recompile anyway.
Thanks Freezy for your respons.

I've try but no chance with the last version and the patch. I receive error when I patch, and when I compile.

The trouble come from Undefined Variables GUIWindows after patching

Thanks a Lot

Olivier
Freezy,

I've try but no chance that don't run

Code:
vdr@vdrxbmc:~/src/$ svn co [url]https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC[/url] XBMC

Code:
vdr@vdrxbmc:~/src/$ cd XBMC
vdr@vdrxbmc:~/src/XBMC$ patch -p1 < ../xbmc-svn19616-pvr.patch
patching file guilib/Key.h
Hunk #1 succeeded at 262 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 291 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 301 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #4 FAILED at 339.
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file guilib/Key.h.rej
patching file xbmc/GUIDialogPluginSettings.cpp
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file xbmc/GUIDialogPluginSettings.cpp.rej
patching file xbmc/GUIDialogPluginSettings.h
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file xbmc/GUIDialogPluginSettings.h.rej

Code:
vdr@vdrxbmc:~/src/XBMC$ ./configure --enable-vdpau
------------------------
  XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
  Debugging:    Yes
  Profiling:    No
  Optimization: Yes
  OpenGL:       Yes
  VDPAU:        Yes
  Joystick:     Yes
  XRandR:       Yes
  PCRE Support: Yes
  MID Support:  No
  ccache:       No
  PulseAudio:   Yes
  FAAC:         Yes
  DVDCSS:       Yes
  Avahi:        Yes
  prefix:       /usr/local
------------------------

Code:
vdr@vdrxbmc:~/src/XBMC$ make
make[1]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/vdr/src/XBMC/xbmc »
g++ -MD -c -O2 -g -D_DEBUG -Wall -D_LINUX -D_FILE_DEFINED -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DINSTALL_PATH="\"/usr/local/share/xbmc\"" -DHAS_SDL_JOYSTICK -DHAS_XRANDR -DHAS_PCRE -D'SVN_REV="20041M"'  -DDLL_PATH_LIBCURL="\"/usr/lib/libcurl.so\"" -I. -Ilinux -Icores -I../guilib -Iutils -IFileSystem -Ilib/libUPnP/Platinum/ThirdParty/Neptune/Source/Core -Ilib/libUPnP/Platinum/Source/Core -Ilib/libUPnP/Platinum/Source/Devices/MediaServer -Ilib/libUPnP/Platinum/ThirdParty/Neptune/Source/System/Posix -Ilib/libUPnP/Platinum/Source/Devices/MediaConnect -Ilib/libUPnP/Platinum/Source/Devices/MediaRenderer  -Ilib/libcdio/libcdio/include -DDBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/hal -DHAS_PULSEAUDIO -DHAS_AVAHI Application.cpp -o Application.o
Application.cpp: In member function âCProfile* CApplication::InitDirectoriesLinux()â:
Application.cpp:1029: attention : ignoring return value of âint symlink(const char*, const char*)â, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
Application.cpp: In member function âvirtual HRESULT CApplication::Cleanup()â:
Application.cpp:3838: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_ADDON_SETTINGSâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3840: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_PVRCLIENT_SETTINGSâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3841: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_GUIDE_INFOâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3842: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_RECORDING_INFOâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3843: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_TIMER_SETTINGâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3844: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_GROUP_MANAGERâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3845: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_CHANNEL_MANAGERâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3846: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_OSD_CHANNELSâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3847: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_OSD_GUIDEâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3848: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_OSD_TELETEXTâ was not declared in this scope
Application.cpp:3849: erreur: âWINDOW_DIALOG_TV_OSD_DIRECTORâ was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [Application.o] Erreur 1
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /home/vdr/src/XBMC/xbmc »
make: *** [xbmc] Erreur 2

I've used the last available patch

Thanks Olivier
Hi i'm getting a compile error when following the howto at the begin of this thread on a clean install of mythbuntu 8.10. In the howto its the part below the text “For testing VDR "standalone...”.

After making the xineliboutput I get the following messages from the compiler:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -fPIC -I/usr/local/include -shared -fvisibility=hidden xine_sxfe_frontend.o xine/post.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXv -lXext -lXrender -L/usr/local/lib -lxine -o libxineliboutput-sxfe.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXv
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libxineliboutput-sxfe.so] Error 1
root@htpc:/home/vdr/src/vdr/PLUGINS/src/xineliboutput#

Don't now the lXv library, but I assume its part of the Xine library. Anyone ideas why its missing when following the howto or how I can still get it working?

Edit: Solved by getting the latest xineliboutput from CVS. For future reference:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/xineliboutput login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/xineliboutput co -P vdr-xineliboutput
Hello tmpdir

do :

apt-get install xv
apt-get purge libxine2-dev

and after that redo the part about Xine Library

after you can compile xineliboutput

@+ Olivier
hi,

I have spend the whole day Nerd setting up ubuntu9.04_minimal.

Followed the guide at Page1 and iam stuck at part 5 (startvdr)

"runvdr" itself works

After "runvdr" I did "xinit" and then "vdr-sxfe --video=xv"

ERROR:
Code:
Log of vdr-sxfe --video=xv
Fri May  8 23:34:44 2009

^[[?25l[5670] [input_vdr] Connecting (control) to tcp://192.168.0.228:37890 ...
[5670] [input_vdr] Server greeting: VDR-1.7.4 xineliboutput-1.0.3 READY
[5670] [input_vdr] Connected (control) to tcp://192.168.0.228:37890
[5670] [input_vdr] Connecting (data) to pipe:///etc/vdr/plugins/xineliboutput/pipes.3870/pipe.0
[5670] [input_vdr] Data stream connected (PIPE)
[5687] [input_vdr] TCP: Buffer too small (8192 ; incoming frame 24856 bytes)
[5687] [input_vdr] TCP: Buffer too small (8192 ; incoming frame 246442020 bytes)
vdr-sxfedied with signal 11

Thats the first problems, some say it still works in XBMC, but thats my next question. Im kind of confused in what version of XBMC to use (and what patch).

I tried this (from the first post):
Code:
svn co http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/ -r 19616
cd linuxport
wget http://xbmc.org/raw-attachment/ticket/5595/xbmc-svn19616-pvr.patch.gz
gunzip xbmc-svn19616-pvr.patch.gz
cd XBMC
patch -p1 < ../xbmc-svn19616-pvr.patch

But I cant download the patch, seems it is gone.

Please let me know the most recent xbmx build+patch(working ones)

My System:
P4 2.8GHZ 1GB RAM
Geforce 8400GS
Win-TV Nova-HD-S2

Best
ibydos
ibydos Wrote:hi,

I have spend the whole day Nerd setting up ubuntu9.04_minimal.

Followed the guide at Page1 and iam stuck at part 5 (startvdr)

"runvdr" itself works

After "runvdr" I did "xinit" and then "vdr-sxfe --video=xv"

Thats the first problems, some say it still works in XBMC, but thats my next question. Im kind of confused in what version of XBMC to use (and what patch).

I tried this (from the first post):
Code:
svn co http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/ -r 19616
cd linuxport
wget http://xbmc.org/raw-attachment/ticket/5595/xbmc-svn19616-pvr.patch.gz
gunzip xbmc-svn19616-pvr.patch.gz
cd XBMC
patch -p1 < ../xbmc-svn19616-pvr.patch

But I cant download the patch, seems it is gone.

Please let me know the most recent xbmx build+patch(working ones)

Best
ibydos

That's the same problem I get. The how-to never worked for me, or in other words, xv never worked. Whatever the driver, I always got that buffer too small error. The rest looked good. The xbmc patch applied well until not so long ago. I guess around revision 19900 or so should be ok.

bye,
rickx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39