• 19(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Sorry I did mean to add the 2 but would assume it would be the default for anyone buying one now?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-05, 09:44)nickr Wrote: Sorry I did mean to add the 2 but would assume it would be the default for anyone buying one now?

Yeah - thought as much - but if someone was being given one, buying one second hand etc. and not an expert (and given that the Pi and the Pi 2 both do 3D MVC decode) I thought best to clarify.
how about minix x8-h plus
To suggestion about ripping to MVC MKV (vs. ISO), I wouldn't. I did that with my 100+ 3D movies couple years back for Mede8er (to get around seamless branching issues, and have movie-only rips), but now have had to re-rip all those discs to ISO for VidOn, HiMedia, etc. I'd suggest waiting for RPi to add ISO support as we've been waiting for.

(2015-05-05, 09:06)Skank Wrote: no atmos on open hour?
what about 3d iso?
ATMOS, don't know. Hopefully dreamy has some info. I'll also look at their forum. 3D ISO support, yes.

(2015-05-05, 12:07)SABERZAID Wrote: how about minix x8-h plus
Minix can't do full 3D nor HD audio. It does do 23.976.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-05-05, 13:26)hdmkv Wrote: To suggestion about ripping to MVC MKV (vs. ISO), I wouldn't. I did that with my 100+ 3D movies couple years back for Mede8er (to get around seamless branching issues, and have movie-only rips), but now have had to re-rip all those discs to ISO for VidOn, HiMedia, etc. I'd suggest waiting for RPi to add ISO support as we've been waiting for.

(2015-05-05, 12:07)SABERZAID Wrote: how about minix x8-h plus
Minix can't do full 3D nor HD audio. It does do 23.976.
Thanks

So shall i go with asus chromebox with i3 cpu
Or asusvivo mini pc with 4th gen i5 cpu

I got those options to pick. . Im playing full hd movies via kodi addons. And the 3d movies via torrent download and addons etc.
Chromebox is king, and the Celeron is fine for Kodi. You don't really need the i3 box. You won't get full 3D, but half-rez SBS and top/bottom formats, yes.
My HT
(2015-05-05, 13:26)hdmkv Wrote: Minix can't do full 3D nor HD audio. It does do 23.976.

i not so sure, my amlogic box stutter with 23.976 .
i must enable "Sync playback to display" It looks like a 24Hz resync instead of true 23.976fps.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-05-05, 13:32)hdmkv Wrote: Chromebox is king, and the Celeron is fine for Kodi. You don't really need the i3 box. You won't get full 3D, but half-rez SBS and top/bottom formats, yes.

Yep - The Celeron Chromebox is a brilliant fit for almost everything, except 3D MVC content. Half-res SBS/TAB is identical to 2D 1080p and 720p so that's a kind of moot point.

If you must have 3D MVC decode - then the Raspberry Pi 2 is probably the best game in town IF you are happy to take the few minutes it takes to convert ISOs to MKVs using MakeMKV. Now that the Pi 2 supports HD Audio decode for both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA/HRA, it's a brilliant solution for 3D.

To be honest I'd avoid any proprietary boxes using forked Kodi builds - you have no real support if the manufacturer gives up on them - and they seldom respect the GPL and other licences, effectively exploiting the work of the Kodi team but not giving anything back to the community that develops it.
(2015-05-05, 13:52)looun Wrote:
(2015-05-05, 13:26)hdmkv Wrote: Minix can't do full 3D nor HD audio. It does do 23.976.

i not so sure, my amlogic box stutter with 23.976 .
i must enable "Sync playback to display" It looks like a 24Hz resync instead of true 23.976fps.

Yes I believe this to be the case with some AMlogic SoC's. The newer S805 (running Ubuntu) and S812 (Minix) ones not so much. This sums it up pretty well....
Quote:Like @minix - Ken has mentioned random slowdown/stutter issue has been fixed in the latest firmware. If for some reason, someone is still noticing random stutter, it could be due to the very small offset in output refresh rate. Due to this offset, a frame drop may be noticed once every ~17min. It will depend on the frame scene and also on the sensitivity of the person to notice stutter. It could be that @spykos is hypersensitive. Most people aren't going to notice this frame drop.

Details of Minix S812 and general AMlogic - Frame rate / Refresh rate progress here...
http://www.minixforum.com/threads/frame-...48/page-12

Some Android media Boxes seem to be slowly getting better with 23.976fps (24p) video output resulting in near perfect video sync.

(2015-05-05, 14:23)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote:Like @minix - Ken has mentioned random slowdown/stutter issue has been fixed in the latest firmware. If for some reason, someone is still noticing random stutter, it could be due to the very small offset in output refresh rate. Due to this offset, a frame drop may be noticed once every ~17min. It will depend on the frame scene and also on the sensitivity of the person to notice stutter. It could be that @spykos is hypersensitive. Most people aren't going to notice this frame drop.

Never understand comments like this. If you notice a stutter (you won't see them on a static screen - but you will if the scene contains motion) you will notice it. If it happens less frequently, you will notice it less frequently. But a frame drop or a frame repeat is a frame drop or a frame repeat - a fault, and you'll notice it if the content allows.

I work in broadcast TV, and am probably more sensitive than many, but if I weren't able to spot a drop or a repeat in an edited bit of video, I'd be looking for a new job... It isn't hypersensitivity - it's just being able to watch critically.

I suspect those of us who grew up in 50Hz-land, and weren't exposed to 3:2 judder throughout our lives, find frame repeat/drops more noticeable.
(2015-05-05, 13:56)noggin Wrote: If you must have 3D MVC decode - then the Raspberry Pi 2 is probably the best game in town IF you are happy to take the few minutes it takes to convert ISOs to MKVs using MakeMKV. Now that the Pi 2 supports HD Audio decode for both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA/HRA, it's a brilliant solution for 3D.

To be honest I'd avoid any proprietary boxes using forked Kodi builds - you have no real support if the manufacturer gives up on them - and they seldom respect the GPL and other licences, effectively exploiting the work of the Kodi team but not giving anything back to the community that develops it.
Partially agree. RPi2 will probably be my top pick for what this thread is about as soon as ISO support is added Smile. Re: HiMedia Q5, we're using official Kodi builds, but an external player is necessary for 3D and HD audio. I'm fine with this, but maybe with devs now taking advantage of RPi's MVC decoding capability, same could be done at some point with HiMedia or other boxes that have h/w MVC decoding. With HiMedia, I've blasted them for confusing 'Q5' branding and lack of official (open) support, but they are making effort to improve the box (adding ATMOS support and now fixing 23.976). They've also reached out to me privately to help improve the box further. I'd prefer they do this via a forum with closed beta test group maybe, but as long as the player keeps improving as it has, I'm cool with that.
My HT
So there is no new hardware coming out with these supported options?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-05-05, 19:51)movie78 Wrote: So there is no new hardware coming out with these supported options?

It's a case of Open Source support...
movie78, we have two solid choices now (HiMedia Q5 and RPi2). Former is excellent, except if you need reliable MPEG2/VC-1. Latter is also excellent, just no ISO support yet, and VC-1 interlaced (some concert BD's) won't play. Both do full 3D, 23.976 and HD audio, although no ATMOS no RPi2 (only decoded 7.1 from TrueHD/ATMOS track).

Yes, something like Chromebox (fast, plays everything perfectly) would be great with full 3D also there, but doesn't look like anything like it upcoming (yet).
My HT
Hdmkv?

Are you going to replace you Mede8er Med600x3d with the Himedia Q5?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17