• 155(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
And also the Android VR version.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2016-01-29, 23:26)hdmkv Wrote: Guys, if you haven't watched 'The Walk' in 3D yet, watch it! Seeing title screenshots above reminded me.

Second time for me last night. It's movies like this that make 3D totally worth it:
1. Great content,
2. Wonderful/non-gimmicky use of 3D, and
3. Conceived in/meant to be experienced in 3D Smile!

Many scenes in this film give you vertigo, and real sense of what the daring 'Man on Wire' Philippe Petit's feat was all about. And, a great tribute to the trade towers.

Totally agree, this movie was so good in 3D it was hard for me to watch some parts as im not a big fan of heights but all i can say is its intense and you might get sweaty palms at points during the movie.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-01-29, 20:32)Dave the Minion Wrote: Buy a new receiver.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-650w-...Id=6078137

$300 gets you 5.1 HD Audio and HDMI.

If you already have the speakers and are looking for options and hacks to use old technology you will end up spending more time than it would take you to get a second job for a couple weeks to pay for it. Even if you end up only using it as a pre-pro for your antiquated but "better" old receiver.
I'd much rather stick to my old $1500 receiver than get a new $300 one... I have the feeling the old one will sound better. My 1970s NAD (sadly not functioning anymore) sounded wonderful.

How about http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XJFCN76?psc=1 or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01482COWW?psc=1 or something like that? No need to worry about any driver issues or whatever.
Latter one looks promising... but, I hear ya. Some of the older AVR's are better on audio quality w/some newer ones more focused on frills.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-01-30, 03:37)kadajawi Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 20:32)Dave the Minion Wrote: Buy a new receiver.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-650w-...Id=6078137

$300 gets you 5.1 HD Audio and HDMI.

If you already have the speakers and are looking for options and hacks to use old technology you will end up spending more time than it would take you to get a second job for a couple weeks to pay for it. Even if you end up only using it as a pre-pro for your antiquated but "better" old receiver.
I'd much rather stick to my old $1500 receiver than get a new $300 one... I have the feeling the old one will sound better. My 1970s NAD (sadly not functioning anymore) sounded wonderful.

How about http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XJFCN76?psc=1 or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01482COWW?psc=1 or something like that? No need to worry about any driver issues or whatever.

If sound quality is that important to you then you wouldn't be looking for a way to get optical lossy audio in the first place.

Spend a few extra weeks at the second job and you can have a new $1500 receiver that will sound "better".
And then read the reviews and tests that say the average person can't tell the difference...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

[/quote]

That second one does sound good. Had a good look at reviews -- do you think this would sit between pi and tv to send off the 5.1 audio to decoder ... or connect straight to tv and then put this device between tv and decoder? Seems to be a suggestion in one of the reviews at least that by using a hdmi arc port out from the tv that anything connected to the tv can effectively have the 5.1 passed through, when normally the tv blocks it for its own optical out...
(2016-01-30, 10:57)drdwridav Wrote: That second one does sound good. Had a good look at reviews -- do you think this would sit between pi and tv to send off the 5.1 audio to decoder ... or connect straight to tv and then put this device between tv and decoder? Seems to be a suggestion in one of the reviews at least that by using a hdmi arc port out from the tv that anything connected to the tv can effectively have the 5.1 passed through, when normally the tv blocks it for its own optical out...

In theory either should work, but passthrough on ARC channel may or may not work (depends on TV).
Connecting between Pi and TV should be fine, but no harm in trying it both ways.
ARC may only carry DD and not DTS in some implementation ISTR?
(2015-03-16, 00:44)hdmkv Wrote: This thread is dedicated to media players [...]

When you say the Hi Q5 doesn't support Forced Sub- can you turn them on manually and then they'll display?

Thanks
Why did you quote the massive OP to ask a 1 line question?
(2016-01-30, 04:57)Dave the Minion Wrote: If sound quality is that important to you then you wouldn't be looking for a way to get optical lossy audio in the first place.

Spend a few extra weeks at the second job and you can have a new $1500 receiver that will sound "better".
Again a ridiculous waste of time and money. If you want to spend $1500, it would be better to build a proper PC as HTPC. That will be able to play everything, and it will have SPDIF.

Absolutely not necessary to buy a new receiver. There are no real benefits.

You won't hear the difference between DTS or AC3 and whatever uncompressed format you'd be able to use, unless you have a hearing defect that lets you hear compression artifacts. Normal people though, even audiophiles with high end systems? Nope.
(2016-02-01, 06:59)Dave the Minion Wrote: Why did you quote the massive OP to ask a 1 line question?
To answer your question alanisrox69, yes, with HiMedia Q5/Q10, you can enable subs in the Android settings, and whatever's default (or the first sub track) will always be displayed during playback. Or, disable & press 'Menu' button during playback to enable/select the sub track you want.

What I meant by HiMedia not supporting forced subs is that with something like 'Avatar', the disc doesn't have a separate PGS track for just the Na'vi parts. It's embedded & marked as forced within the full English subs. HiMedia ignores this flag & will display the full English subs throughout the movie, not just the Na'vi parts.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-02-01, 14:36)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-02-01, 06:59)Dave the Minion Wrote: Why did you quote the massive OP to ask a 1 line question?
To answer your question alanisrox69, yes, with HiMedia Q5/Q10, you can enable subs in the Android settings, and whatever's default (or the first sub track) will always be displayed during playback. Or, disable & press 'Menu' button during playback to enable/select the sub track you want.

What I meant by HiMedia not supporting forced subs is that with something like 'Avatar', the disc doesn't have a separate PGS track for just the Na'vi parts. It's embedded & marked as forced within the full English subs. HiMedia ignores this flag & will display the full English subs throughout the movie, not just the Na'vi parts.

Thanks for the clarification!

Gonna order one of these ASAP to check it out.

Zidoo x6 is a piece of junk, the 23.976 "skipping" is too much to handle.

Love my PCH A400 but it's got it's problems as well.
(2016-02-01, 13:57)kadajawi Wrote: Again a ridiculous waste of time and money. If you want to spend $1500, it would be better to build a proper PC as HTPC. That will be able to play everything, and it will have SPDIF.

Absolutely not necessary to buy a new receiver. There are no real benefits.

You won't hear the difference between DTS or AC3 and whatever uncompressed format you'd be able to use, unless you have a hearing defect that lets you hear compression artifacts. Normal people though, even audiophiles with high end systems? Nope.

Again, this isn't the place to argue stupid. The question has nothing to do with 3D players with full HD audio. Quite the opposite in fact.
  • 155(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17