• 161(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2016-02-12, 03:22)hdmkv Wrote: I assume you have the latest firmware installed, and HiMedia wrapper app applied (as instructed in post #1)? Basically, w/Q5, Kodi is simply used as a front-end w/actual video playback being done by the native/built-in video player. That's what plays 3D ISO's and does HD audio.

Yea it came with latest firmware. 3.0.3

I didn't install the wrapper. Wanted to try it 'out of the box' before playing with stuff. I did enable 24P and adjusted the video engine like you suggested.

I just loaded the Media Player on the home screen, selected my shared folder on my network and played the ISO.

What's the difference if I use Kodi? Any?
(2016-02-11, 20:48)Skank Wrote: New dune, plays iso, 3d, atmos, and full bluray menu.. But outside kodi... Pff

This will probably have Cinavia detection. So most likely a no go for ISOs
HiMedia Q5, after playing with it for a bit, it's a good box, but not perfect.

Bluray ISO and Bluray 3D ISO seem flawless. It appears true 23.976fps with no issues.

I turned off the Video Engine, it blew out the colors way too much for my liking.

Haven't tried a bunch of different file types, but wanted to get caught up on some TV shows so I started this:
Hells.Kitchen.US.S15E01.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION

engine is ON, I originally had HDMI output at 1080p60, noticed a slight stutter every minute or so, almost like it 'freezes' on a frame, but then catches back up. I turn the engine OFF, still 1080p60, still a slight stutter but not as bad. I changed output to 720p60, didn't really change the stutter.

Watched 2 more episodes E02 and E03 (same group: Dimension), all had the same 'freeze stutter' every minute or so. It wasn't *too* noticeable, but it WAS there. Not sure if this is a 720p issue or the way Dimension encoded the MKV......

Popcorn Hour A400 plays same files flawlessly.

It seems I will continue using A400 for these web-caps and the Q5 for Bluray ISO/3D ISO. In the end I tried Bluray with Video engine On and Off and I prefer it Off. Personal preference I guess!

One thing I noticed, the Q5 runs really hot to the touch. Hopefully it holds up!

Edit Note: I noticed my Q5 came with some Chinese apps installed, KPTV, Shafta Market, and another app. I uninstalled all 3. When I go to About, it says Model: Q5EN.2001 , so I am assuming I have the English box?
(2016-02-12, 03:34)alanisrox69 Wrote: What's the difference if I use Kodi? Any?
Because Kodi is the best app to manage your TV/movie files. With the HiMedia wrapper most videos when selected for playback will actually play via HiSilicon player instead, which is better on this chip/box than Kodi. You can still use Kodi for any video you want... just highlight video/title, bring up context menu and choose 'Play using' to select Kodi's dvdplayer or videoplayer.

(2016-02-12, 07:00)alanisrox69 Wrote: Edit Note: I noticed my Q5 came with some Chinese apps installed, KPTV, Shafta Market, and another app. I uninstalled all 3. When I go to About, it says Model: Q5EN.2001 , so I am assuming I have the English box?
Oops, you have the Chinese-branded, Asia market version of Q5. Firmwares between this & English are different, and you can't crossflash as far as I'm aware. Actually I'm not even sure if your Q5 is the 4K3D (current-gen) version. BTW, the wrapper I mentioned is different for the Chinese version as well... try Googling as I don't know where you'd find it. Maybe here, using Google translator.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-02-12, 07:00)alanisrox69 Wrote: HiMedia Q5, after playing with it for a bit, it's a good box, but not perfect.

Bluray ISO and Bluray 3D ISO seem flawless. It appears true 23.976fps with no issues.

I turned off the Video Engine, it blew out the colors way too much for my liking.

Haven't tried a bunch of different file types, but wanted to get caught up on some TV shows so I started this:
Hells.Kitchen.US.S15E01.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION

engine is ON, I originally had HDMI output at 1080p60, noticed a slight stutter every minute or so, almost like it 'freezes' on a frame, but then catches back up. I turn the engine OFF, still 1080p60, still a slight stutter but not as bad. I changed output to 720p60, didn't really change the stutter.

Watched 2 more episodes E02 and E03 (same group: Dimension), all had the same 'freeze stutter' every minute or so. It wasn't *too* noticeable, but it WAS there. Not sure if this is a 720p issue or the way Dimension encoded the MKV......

Popcorn Hour A400 plays same files flawlessly.

It seems I will continue using A400 for these web-caps and the Q5 for Bluray ISO/3D ISO. In the end I tried Bluray with Video engine On and Off and I prefer it Off. Personal preference I guess!

One thing I noticed, the Q5 runs really hot to the touch. Hopefully it holds up!

Edit Note: I noticed my Q5 came with some Chinese apps installed, KPTV, Shafta Market, and another app. I uninstalled all 3. When I go to About, it says Model: Q5EN.2001 , so I am assuming I have the English box?

those tv rips are encoded @ 59.97hz so its probably why you see a difference in playback quality, not sure why exactly but thats the difference i bet.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-02-12, 15:03)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 03:34)alanisrox69 Wrote: What's the difference if I use Kodi? Any?
Because Kodi is the best app to manage your TV/movie files. With the HiMedia wrapper most videos when selected for playback will actually play via HiSilicon player instead, which is better on this chip/box than Kodi. You can still use Kodi for any video you want... just highlight video/title, bring up context menu and choose 'Play using' to select Kodi's dvdplayer or videoplayer.

(2016-02-12, 07:00)alanisrox69 Wrote: Edit Note: I noticed my Q5 came with some Chinese apps installed, KPTV, Shafta Market, and another app. I uninstalled all 3. When I go to About, it says Model: Q5EN.2001 , so I am assuming I have the English box?
Oops, you have the Chinese-branded, Asia market version of Q5. Firmwares between this & English are different, and you can't crossflash as far as I'm aware. Actually I'm not even sure if your Q5 is the 4K3D (current-gen) version. BTW, the wrapper I mentioned is different for the Chinese version as well... try Googling as I don't know where you'd find it. Maybe here, using Google translator.

It came with the wrapper. My Apps, Wrapper, then I clicked Install.

It has the 4K output in video and plays 3D.

I'll take pics of the box later tonight
Pics:
http://imgur.com/a/EB064

Admittedly, I bought the Q5 from eBay. It did come with a USA power plug tho.

I also just ordered a Q10 4K3D from Futeko.com. Let's see how that compares.
(2016-02-12, 03:35)alanisrox69 Wrote:
(2016-02-11, 20:48)Skank Wrote: New dune, plays iso, 3d, atmos, and full bluray menu.. But outside kodi... Pff

This will probably have Cinavia detection. So most likely a no go for ISOs

Just a note they are saying no Cinavia. But no word on how they are doing it. you can see it playing a bdj title here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trV3JhFMD4s
(2016-02-12, 03:35)alanisrox69 Wrote: This will probably have Cinavia detection. So most likely a no go for ISOs
(2016-02-13, 01:43)halfelite Wrote: Just a note they are saying no Cinavia. But no word on how they are doing it. you can see it playing a bdj title here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trV3JhFMD4s
Why would it have Cinavia? It's not an actual Blu-ray player is it? If it's not a Blu-ray player, they don't need a license from the BDA and they sure wouldn't have to do any of the things the BDA requires for a licensed player.
Some of the past Dune boxes have had Cinavia
(2016-02-13, 00:47)alanisrox69 Wrote: Pics:
http://imgur.com/a/EB064

Admittedly, I bought the Q5 from eBay. It did come with a USA power plug tho.

I also just ordered a Q10 4K3D from Futeko.com. Let's see how that compares.
You have the right box, the English version.
My HT
Guess we need to add a line to your review image grid, does it play 59.97 correctly? Smile
Which content is 59.97? I'm aware of 59.94 and 60.00, and for EU 50.00.
My HT
(2016-02-14, 00:44)hdmkv Wrote: Which content is 59.97? I'm aware of 59.94 and 60.00, and for EU 50.00.

I think there is confusion between 29.97 and 59.94 here...
(2016-02-14, 11:04)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-14, 00:44)hdmkv Wrote: Which content is 59.97? I'm aware of 59.94 and 60.00, and for EU 50.00.

I think there is confusion between 29.97 and 59.94 here...

Yes, and i introduced the confusion, they guy having issues playing that downloaded TV show was wondering why it wasn't playing right,, the rip is encoded at 59.94 and thats probably why he was having issues, i had written it was 59.97 which was the mistake and where the confusion began. He was asking what the difference was between that video and regular movies that play correctly.
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
  • 161(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17