Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why not WMC as backend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Do you know if it is possible to resume programmes that are currently recording?

For example my wife often starts watching a programme that is recording half-way through (so she can skip past the adverts) in one room. Then she will go into another room using another extender and resume that still recording programme from where she left off. Is that likely to be possible please?
(2013-03-13, 17:44)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ](I think that's what you meant by "bypass the live tv server")
I was saying(since it hasn't been tested yet), if the windows server doesn't allow say an ATV2 to change and stream a channel, that when clicking on the channel it connects to the channel stream directly(HD Homerun hardwware)

(2013-03-13, 17:44)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about transcoding and wmc's DRM, all I can say is my software will not (and could not) work around it.
I was talking about using an external program, I use an program(can't think of the name) that removes WMC commercials, and can re-encode it to another format. I was suggesting if there is an issue with playing recordings on clients, there could be a setting to select the recordings folder to point to the re-encodes for the clients that need it.
Comskip
@bry- : It definitely isn't comskip, but it uses comskip to locate the commercials.
MCE Buddy?
Sorry, I was at work when I posted that. I use lifextender, and it turns out it doesn't re-encode.
(2013-03-13, 18:22)asm495 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know if it is possible to resume programmes that are currently recording?

For example my wife often starts watching a programme that is recording half-way through (so she can skip past the adverts) in one room. Then she will go into another room using another extender and resume that still recording programme from where she left off. Is that likely to be possible please?

Resuming the same recorded tv play location across the lan is important to me too. So far I have not implemented resume but I plan to.

(2013-03-13, 19:37)spyder Wrote: [ -> ]I was talking about using an external program, I use an program(can't think of the name) that removes WMC commercials, and can re-encode it to another format. I was suggesting if there is an issue with playing recordings on clients, there could be a setting to select the recordings folder to point to the re-encodes for the clients that need it.

Yeah this can be done. Actually it can be done right now by just pointing xbmc at this directory - but it could be done inside of the livetv client too.
(2013-03-13, 16:54)spyder Wrote: [ -> ]If there is any issues with DRM, could we just transcode/re-encode the file?

That's not going to work for any flagged shows/recordings. No program can break PlayReady DRM as of now which is what would be needed to do this. The commercial remover/re-encode programs you speak of will either error out trying to do a flagged recording, or just end up churning out a 1 second unplayable clip. You're limted to WMC as of now for flagged shows (and only on the machine that did the recording; or a WMC extender), unless someone wants to pony up for a PlayReady licence Smile
Anyone know how to get QuickWMC to switch quickly from XBMC? What I mean by this is there is severe lag and an ugly DOS Prompt when launching via QuickWMC from advanced Launcher.
(2013-03-15, 04:25)JuggalotusHeat Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know how to get QuickWMC to switch quickly from XBMC? What I mean by this is there is severe lag and an ugly DOS Prompt when launching via QuickWMC from advanced Launcher.

Okay, so the "Quick" part of "QuickWMC" is a bit of a stretch.

You really can't get the starting of wmc to be much faster, that's just how long it takes to start up (at least I got rid of the start-up animation). There is an earlier post in this thread where a user said they were using event ghost to start the shortcut instead of advanced launcher, I doubt its much faster but I don't think you will get the dos window anymore.
(2013-03-15, 04:53)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-15, 04:25)JuggalotusHeat Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know how to get QuickWMC to switch quickly from XBMC? What I mean by this is there is severe lag and an ugly DOS Prompt when launching via QuickWMC from advanced Launcher.

Okay, so the "Quick" part of "QuickWMC" is a bit of a stretch.

You really can't get the starting of wmc to be much faster, that's just how long it takes to start up (at least I got rid of the start-up animation). There is an earlier post in this thread where a user said they were using event ghost to start the shortcut instead of advanced launcher, I doubt its much faster but I don't think you will get the dos window anymore.

I appreciate the work you put into it and thanks for posting it. I will play around with it some and see if there is anything that can be done to possibly make it load quicker. I got a decent test bed as my WMC is on an SSD so I'm not limited by I/O.
(2013-03-15, 05:37)JuggalotusHeat Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate the work you put into it and thanks for posting it. I will play around with it some and see if there is anything that can be done to possibly make it load quicker. I got a decent test bed as my WMC is on an SSD so I'm not limited by I/O.

Thanks for that. All of my media center machines are ssd based, and it seems to start fast enough (although I can always imagine faster). But at its heart, it is a kludge and its hard to make it look like anything other than what it is, getting rid of the "dos" window would help though.
(2013-03-13, 04:55)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]I'll give that a go tomorrow and see what happens, I have the capability of running four clients and one server, it should be interesting.

update: It took me longer to get to this than "tomorrow", but I finally got to it today. It was a good exercise, because I found some tuner arbitration issues that needed fixing. Ultimately, I was able to view four live streams on four networked computers taking data from the single server. I also experimented with different numbers of live streams and active recordings, and how the server handles the case of too few tuners vs requests (recordings get priority over live streams).
I think recording priority is universal over all PVR setups. Was your multiple client tests on all windows machines, or have you tried on any other platforms? Is there 'server software' for this or does it use built in windows services?
(2013-03-18, 19:26)spyder Wrote: [ -> ]I think recording priority is universal over all PVR setups. Was your multiple client tests on all windows machines, or have you tried on any other platforms? Is there 'server software' for this or does it use built in windows services?

I haven't tried the other pvr setups in xbmc, so I wouldn't know. But in wmc if you are watching a live tv stream and the tuner is needed for an about-to-start recording, it opens a dialog and asks if you want to cancel the recording so you can continue watching. This can't be done in the xbmc server/client setup currently, the best I could do is when the live tv stream shuts off, it throws up a notification saying the tuner is needed for recording.

Yes, I am only writing this, and trying it on, windows (its all I have). Yes, there is a server program that needs to run on the main wmc machine, it handles the interface between the xbmc clients and the wmc service, and it handles the live tv streams and other bookkeeping type functions. The server will always be windows only (for obvious reasons) but the client could be theoretically compiled to other platforms.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28