Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why not WMC as backend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Just want to say thanks for everyone's hard work on this. Very much appreciate your dedication to this KR. I think this will be a very popular setup when it's finished. Let me know if there is anything I can do, gruntwork, images, etc.
Did some testing yesterday, thought I would post my results:
1. Did the EPG data load?
2. If it transfer the scheduled recordings correctly into xbmc?
3. Did it correctly find all the channels and discover the tuner setup correctly (number and type of tuner)?
4. Can you schedule/cancel recordings with xbmc?
5. Do your previously recorded wtv shows show up in wmc with meta data intact? Do they play okay in xbmc?

1.YES, immediately, I have used the TVGuide addon and that has @15 second delay, with this I can hit the GUIDE button on my remote and see the full guide within 1 second(OTA @80 channels/HD Homerun 2 tuner)
2.YES
3.YES, I tried numbering the channels using backend order and lost the sub-channels(5.1/5.2/5.3), I can access these channels, but they then get numbered according to the order they are in(5.2 is Channel 10)
4.YES, tried canceling a recording with "EDIT" by deselecting the "ACTIVE" button didn't cancel it, but "DELETE" did.
5.YES, Everything I have tried works fine, all metadata intact, even have fanart in preview window when nothing is playing.

Only issues I've had are selecting a channel and getting a timeout, or "No video data", this was solved by trying again though. I will also try starting a recording and trying to watch while it's recording.
I finally got the chance to do some testing.

The server app worked fine and detected my 4 DVB-S2 tuners.

The EPG data loaded fine. However the ordering was very different to what appears in Media Center itself. Not a big deal but an annoyance.

Scheduling recordings worked fine.

Previous recordings show up in the list. I am able to play my recordings.

The main problem is that Live TV does not seem to work, here is an example from my log file:

Received client request: BENDER|OpenLiveStream|208137|0|1256|4seven (47)
OpenLiveStream> client:BENDER requesting live stream
SetChannel> isAlreadyTune: False
SetChannel> Tuner: TBS 6981 BDA DVBS/S2 A Tuner/Demod #1
SetChannel> Digital: True
SetChannel> RecorderInfo found: True
SetChannel> Recorder acquired: True
StreamProc> record file: J:\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_47_2013_03_29_17_35_25.wtv
StreamProc> stream output file: LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_47_2013_03_29_17_35_25.ts
StreamProc> started sbeCapture, live stream file: LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_47_2013_03_29_17_35_25.ts
StreamProc> process start error: StreamProc> recording stream exited early(1) calling Close()
RecordToWTV::Close> RecorderUse is Passive: False
StreamProc::Close> stream closed successfully
StreamProc::Close> file deleted: J:\Recorded TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_BENDER_DVB-S_47_2013_03_29_17_35_25.wtv
OpenLiveStream> error: StreamProc> recording stream exited early(1)
Finished request OpenLiveStream in 2.68s

Clearly this is quite a major problem not being able to work live TV. However it is all very encouraging the progress that is being made on this. If Live TV could be made to work on this and I could sort the channel ordering issue then I could I'm sure quite happily use XBMC as a WMC Extender.
There is an option in XBMC livetv to mirror the channel backend of WMC. Should clear that issue up.

I also recommend getting mychannellogo and getting all the artwork for channels because it will import that to XBMC and looks much better.
(2013-03-29, 19:50)Riztnack Wrote: [ -> ]There is an option in XBMC livetv to mirror the channel backend of WMC. Should clear that issue up.

I also recommend getting mychannellogo and getting all the artwork for channels because it will import that to XBMC and looks much better.

Thanks that helped a little. However, I had renumbered my channels from the WMC defaults and it is not ordering by these. There must be an alternative number to pull through for use I would imagine.
Can Krusty or one of the beta testers make a video of this in action and pay to YouTube with Krustys permission please of course..

Thank you
Just to summarize where things are (there are testers who just email me directly):

1) The pvr functionality is working, although some minor functionality is missing, some of which has been pointed out on this thread. Nothing difficult here.

2) LiveTV is at best 'mostly' working, to at worst, not working at all, for all the testers. The only person it works consistently for is me (and I don't watch live tv). I have some ideas, but if there are any directshow guys reading this, I could use their input. Even though I don't use live tv, I am committed to getting this going.

The guys who have been helping me test have been a big help, and very patient. I appreciate their help and look forward to working with them more going forward.

(2013-03-29, 22:48)asm495 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks that helped a little. However, I had renumbered my channels from the WMC defaults and it is not ordering by these. There must be an alternative number to pull through for use I would imagine.

The wmc service doesn't communicate what order wmc is using to display channels. There have been other requests for how channels are handled, and it seems to me, and one of the testers, that the best way to handle it is to see the list of channels in a server tab and let some channel parameters be set there. I am willing to let the channel order be done there as well, if that works for people.
Great collaborative effort on this. Thanks to 'krustyreturns' and everyone else involved!
(2013-03-30, 00:04)bry- Wrote: [ -> ]Can Krusty or one of the beta testers make a video of this in action and pay to YouTube with Krustys permission please of course..

Thank you

Anyone who wants to make a video as my blessing.

(2013-03-30, 11:01)deletedpenguin Wrote: [ -> ]Great collaborative effort on this. Thanks to 'krustyreturns' and everyone else involved!

You're welcome.
(2013-03-30, 00:05)krustyreturns Wrote: [ -> ]The wmc service doesn't communicate what order wmc is using to display channels. There have been other requests for how channels are handled, and it seems to me, and one of the testers, that the best way to handle it is to see the list of channels in a server tab and let some channel parameters be set there. I am willing to let the channel order be done there as well, if that works for people.

I think it would be fine to define the order in the server app. It would rarely need to be done.
Krusty and helpers, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your efforts on this project.

I am a live TV watcher and think this is an ideal marriage between the very best live TV client and the very best media client. Right now I have both WMC and XBMC on my Win7 64 HTPC and do not like the tedious process of switching between them. This project is heaven sent. Kudos for your efforts.

My system is all on one HTPC machine with no networking other than the net. I have a couple TB of movies and an HDHomerun turner. This is a simple setup. I am not a programmer or able to write any sort of scripts or code but I am more than willing to test what you have done on my HTPC. You can view me as a noobie and see how well it all works for a noobie.

Let me know if I can be of help and THANK YOU ALL.
Krusty,

I have been a long time lurker of the forums, but what you are doing here made me register and post. Thanks for your work, and like everyone else would love to help beta test.

Let me know!

Steve
Is there anything that I can do to help with the testing of getting live TV to work please?
Hi all,

Well... after some fustrating times with XBMC and PVR about ½ a year ago, and many "arrrgh!!!" from my girlfriend, i went back to use WMC for Live tv, and linked XBMC shortcut inside WMC. My girlfriend was glad, and i stopped googleling around in the XBMC PVR scene. But today, i tried looking into the XBMC PVR scene again, and i stumbled upon this thread. This WMC backend sounds really interesting!!!
From my experience, the most stable Live TV solution on windows is WMC, but it being a mess around codecs and library handling, i have always used XBMC for my library.

So i'll be glad to test this WMC backend. I have a fully configured WMC running, so i guess testing this WMC PVR addon for XBMC will be an easy install. I can share my experiance like instant.

So Krusty, if you need a tester, then count me in! Let me know if I can be of any help.

//TjaLfE
I too am glad to have found this thread. I was just about to give up on XBMC and buy a 360 so that I could do live tv (the easier way) with WMC and have all of the dashboard apps. With this though I will wait to see how things go. This plus XBMC on an android device like the Ouya and advanced launcher (get access to all of the Go's, Amazon, Netflix and with locally stored content) could crush most any other streamer out there.

Has anyone (of the private testers) tried with an HDHR or HDHR-P?

Any chance of a public beta soon?

Sorry, got excited this would make my setup complete basically. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28