Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Testflight access to beta version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@Buschel

To change the shape of the keyboard you put your thumbs on the S and the K key and “pull” the keyboard apart by dragging your thumbs to the edge of each side of the screen. Also, you can long press the dismiss keyboard button in the lower right corner of the keyboard to do this.

Note I discovered there’s actually a third keyboard style. A one handed iPhone style one you can drag anywhere on the screen. To trigger that one “scrunch” the keyboard with your thumbs doing the opposite of pulling it apart.

Seeing that there’s three keyboards I decided to test a few things and found some wonky behavior when the remote control is displayed. Full width keyboard is handled properly, the remote shifts up maintaining full visibility.

When split keyboard is already enabled and the remote is brought up, everything is fine but if you switch from full width to split key the remote incorrectly shifts down partially hiding it.

Of course now I can’t reproduce the bug I encountered last night with the flickering keyboard but I also can’t figure out how I had the tv pane in the middle of the screen in portrait view. Must be linked. Fortunately I took a video of this behavior to prove I did encounter the bug. It looks like my keyboard split view was actually docked to the bottom of the screen but I can’t figure out how to do that again.

I discovered another search related bug that again has to do with that footer. If you are in full screen view and you tap in search and dismiss the keyboard the exit full screen button is gone. To bring it back you must tap cancel on the search, even when blank.

It also looks like keyboard dismissal when scrolling isn’t enabled on iPad? I just checked with iPhone and I know that was something I asked you to implement there. What are your thoughts on doing the same for iPad?

Finally, an amusing animation. If you have the search bar visible on TV shows, then go fullscreen then exit full screen you can watch the search bar grow to fill the available space. Maybe this was intended?
They keyboard stuff I need play with a bit. I am not sure, if I can influence the issues you report well enough. Sounds like automatic layout corner cases.
(2022-11-11, 16:13)amasephy Wrote: [ -> ]I discovered another search related bug that again has to do with that footer. If you are in full screen view and you tap in search and dismiss the keyboard the exit full screen button is gone. To bring it back you must tap cancel on the search, even when blank.
This is the same as for non-fullscreen and is fixed with the same optimization I already provided as PR. This is not merged yet, and might only be merged after the next release.
(2022-11-11, 16:13)amasephy Wrote: [ -> ]It also looks like keyboard dismissal when scrolling isn’t enabled on iPad? I just checked with iPhone and I know that was something I asked you to implement there. What are your thoughts on doing the same for iPad?
There is no difference between iPad and iPhone here. Also, this works for me with my iPad simulator.
(2022-11-11, 16:13)amasephy Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, an amusing animation. If you have the search bar visible on TV shows, then go fullscreen then exit full screen you can watch the search bar grow to fill the available space. Maybe this was intended?
Not sure, if I see what you are describing. When in iPad fullscreen landscape mode, then showing the searchbar and disabling the fullscreen mode, I can see the searchbar animating from full width down the targeted width. Is this what you refer to?

Edit: Btw, How do you have both remote and keyboard on the screen in parallel? Maybe this also explains why the keyboard is not dismissed on scrolling.
On the topic of stacking up multiple instances of the custom button view when pressing the gear icon on the iPad remote I added a few thoughts in GitHub. This whole thing needs more discussion. I personally tend to add a new main menu item "Kodi settings", using the gear icon. This would allow to enter these settings directly and not only via pressing "...more" on the custom button view. Following the same logic I would replace "...more" with the gear icon and find another icon on the remote to enter the custom button view. Also, when entering the settings this would always start with a fresh stack on iPad, like entering any other main menu. The custom view on iPad I would like to handle in a popover, matching the remote itself. This would cause more work in consequence: the iPad menu needs to be limited to still keep enough space for playlist items, and the colorization (active/inactive) of menu items need to be updated to work for non-visible rows as well.

Edit: A simple thing I can for now is just avoiding to put one instance of custom button view on top of each other. This is simple enough and avoids the biggest mess.
Here’s a video that should clarify some things like the keyboard not dismissing while scrolling, how I have the remote and keyboard up simultaneously and the “expanding” search box.

Im not sure I can exactly follow your long description of the settings screen issue although I am rushed at the moment. I will try to take some time and understand your thoughts.
I don't think I can control the behaviour of the popover moving around when the different keyboard styles are shown. The searchbar in the video shows what I was also seeing. This is just the animation from the fullscreen state to the normal width. This is even more prominent when in light mode. Works as expected.
Thanks I figured that.

What about the keyboard not dismissing with scrolling?
(2022-11-12, 14:41)amasephy Wrote: [ -> ]What about the keyboard not dismissing with scrolling?
For me it does. Do you have a different use case?
My use case on simulator: Use the searchbar in a list view, grid view or fullscreen on iPad > keyboard pops up > scroll the list > keyboard is dismissed.
I showcased scrolling in the video I just posted and the keyboard didn’t dismiss.
Oh yes, sorry. I have the same when I use the split-keyboard, it always works with the merged one. The App always uses
cpp:
view.keyboardDismissMode = UIScrollViewKeyboardDismissModeOnDrag;
So I guess iOS just behaves different for the different keyboard types then. A quick search in the web gives no hint at all.
Interesting. I didn’t even think to try with a different keyboard. I am not bothered by it, just figured it was worth pointing out.

Thank you for verifying though!
I just worked on this and now found a handmade solution which also works for split and floating keyboards.

While doing this I found a nasty bug which was coming in with the change to not hide the toolbar while having an empty search string. If you are in this state (search active, but with empty search string) and then dismiss the remote via dragging, you can toggle between grid/list view. Once done the searchbar is broken.
I don’t remember if this was ever brought up but I just noticed if you are in grid view and you tap in the search box to initiate a search the index along the side of the screen immediately disappears. When in list view the index stays visible until something is typed into the search box.

Interestingly, something causes the index to shift when a search is started in list view. It seems like it’s the hiding of the footer that causes the shift as nothing at the top changes. I think we may have discussed that before though. I’m on mobile and searching this huge thread is a little cumbersome.
Thanks for pointing this out. I now fixed this, the list and grid view index now behaves same for this uses case. The "moving index" in list view is also gone since the toolbar is not hidden when just entering the searchbar.
1.11.1 build 3546
Release Notes

This build has all the fixes and improvements discussed the last days here. We are coming near the next release 1.11.1.
Finally found and fixed the root cause for two resets around GlobalSearch which were reported via AppStore since 1.10. Also I just added another improvement for GlobalSearch (aligning thumb size and content for music videos with other views).