Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kevo Wrote:I really don't see this at all. The remote is in my right hand I twist/rotate it with one hand and my thumb is right on the direction pad..... But a twist/rotate in the other direction an the remote would work just as well with the keyboard the other way.

I have home set to ToggleFullScreen. I think a dedicated fullscreen toggle button would have been a bad move, it's one that should be reserved for customising. The only button missing that should probably be dedicated is one for the context menu, the rest are quite rightly down to personal preference and customisation.
There is no twist/rotate the OTHER way.. it's in your right hand, if you grab with your left hand you've got the thing upside down. You have to twist and rotate it. If you hold it in your left hand, and you grab with your right, it's right side up. it's a LEFT HANDED remote.

Really, to navigate XBMC, we need 4 center buttons like on a standard media center remote.. Info, option, back, exit. We've got two of those in the center.

To top it off, it has serious range issues. It won't control the TV from the couch (12 feet)

I got a free remote with a purchase of Snapstream BeyondTV. http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/features.asp It was ergonomically apropriate and controlled my TV from my next door neighbor's house. It was free and had more functionality... However it broke and I put this remote on order...

It sounds like there's something rattling around in this remote.... It's likely the tilt sensor.. Which is somewhat flakey... Sometimes the only keys that work are on the down-side of the remote.

I made my wife wait 5 months and promissed perfection. I got mediocrity at best. This remote is not planned out well. I'm not happy. She's REALLY not happy.... Very low WAF. I expect more from Team XBMC. To top it off, most of the addons she likes have broken so this remote might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back on the media center... Sad
Malosar Wrote:How is it a remote designed specifically for XBMC doesn't have a context button mapped?

I specified the keymaps, and by default the context isn't mapped, because on the top side, you shouldn't need to be accessing the context menu all the time, the reason you are is due to bad design in the skin or in XBMC itself and over time something we are working to get away from. If you want quick access, bind it to a coloured button
outleradam Wrote:There is no twist/rotate the OTHER way.. it's in your right hand, if you grab with your left hand you've got the thing upside down. You have to twist and rotate it. If you hold it in your left hand, and you grab with your right, it's right side up. it's a LEFT HANDED remote.

Really, to navigate XBMC, we need 4 center buttons like on a standard media center remote.. Info, option, back, exit. We've got two of those in the center.

To top it off, it has serious range issues. It won't control the TV from the couch (12 feet)

I got a free remote with a purchase of Snapstream BeyondTV. http://www.snapstream.com/products/firefly/features.asp It was ergonomically apropriate and controlled my TV from my next door neighbor's house. It was free and had more functionality... However it broke and I put this remote on order...

It sounds like there's something rattling around in this remote.... It's likely the tilt sensor.. Which is somewhat flakey... Sometimes the only keys that work are on the down-side of the remote.

I made my wife wait 5 months and promissed perfection. I got mediocrity at best. This remote is not planned out well. I'm not happy. She's REALLY not happy.... Very low WAF. I expect more from Team XBMC. To top it off, most of the addons she likes have broken so this remote might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back on the media center... Sad

I would like to just clarify a few things and ask a few questions:

Firstly, the range, we know about it, I'm working on it, and i'm trying to get out of Motorola what's wrong and what they are going to do to fix it and fix it with all the customers who have this issue. I will have more information in due course

I don't know why you need Back and Exit? (I assume you mean ESC) in Eden we have collapsed Back and ESC into a single key.

I don't know what "Option" as a key would be, if you mean context, then I assume your using a hidden feature more often that we expect you should be, which would indicate we need to move the function into the UI better etc.

The Rattle is the tilt sensor, and it's annoying but it's the technology the remote uses, we have no control over this and we are aware that the tilt sensor seems to be having issues, again we are looking into it.

Team XBMC had very little and nothing official to do with this device, it is something I have done as an individual, set up a company and tried to get a blue chip to produce a remote for us, clearly it's not to everyone's satisfaction (faults with range and tilt sensor not withstanding)
outleradam Wrote:There is no twist/rotate the OTHER way.. it's in your right hand, if you grab with your left hand you've got the thing upside down. You have to twist and rotate it. If you hold it in your left hand, and you grab with your right, it's right side up. it's a LEFT HANDED remote.

I really do have no idea what you're getting at here. In fact (if I'm understanding you correctly) the more I'm thinking about it and swapping the remote between hands the more I think you're completely wrong.

Going from remote side-right hand to keyboard-both hands couldn't be any more straight forward. I now think having it the other way would actually be much worse.

Demo to show what I'm seeing;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wovBMNDPbtI

Quote:It sounds like there's something rattling around in this remote.... It's likely the tilt sensor.

Yeah, it's quite obviously the tilt sensor.
outleradam Wrote:...
I made my wife wait 5 months and promissed perfection. I got mediocrity at best. This remote is not planned out well. I'm not happy. She's REALLY not happy.... Very low WAF. I expect more from Team XBMC.
(my emphasis)

This is not a product from Team XBMC. Malard is a member, but that's it.
Might be a good idea for people that have range issues to state what motherboard brand/make/revision and what OS they are using?
This thread is pretty massive and I'm unsure if what I'm asking is covered in it, so apologies if this has been covered before.

Is there somewhere I can read a FAQ on these? Mine arrived today and it's less functional than the crappy MCE thing I had before. Sure it feels nicer in my hand, but it doesn't do what I need it to do... I suspect though it's a pretty minor thing to get it up and running properly.

The power button seems to put the PC to sleep rather than turning on or off XBMC. I'd like to be able to be sitting in the living room and turn on XBMC, which runs on my PC in a different room. I have a chain of USB hubs to extend it so that the dongle is under the PC.

The range is poor - and that's a known issue which will get fixed.

I'm not running a nightly build of XBMC (although I'm tempted to fix a few seek issues on certain encodes), is there better support for the Nyxboard on the latest builds?

Really what'd be good is a FAQ, ideally from Pulse Eight.
SkItZo Wrote:Might be a good idea for people that have range issues to state what motherboard brand/make/revision and what OS they are using?

AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.9Ghz AM3 95W
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD890GX
Windows 7 Ultimate

If that helps any.........
SkItZo Wrote:Might be a good idea for people that have range issues to state what motherboard brand/make/revision and what OS they are using?

I don't really think so, no. Not unless you have a particular reason for believing that would have an effect.
Mine has stopped working already - around 30 minutes use. Only the keyboard works, no matter if I have it the right way up or not the normal buttons won't work - have I done something wrong?
Quartermass Wrote:Mine has stopped working already - around 30 minutes use. Only the keyboard works, no matter if I have it the right way up or not the normal buttons won't work - have I done something wrong?
Percussive maintenance can be helpful.
Quartermass Wrote:Mine has stopped working already - around 30 minutes use. Only the keyboard works, no matter if I have it the right way up or not the normal buttons won't work - have I done something wrong?

try "resetting" it, unfortunately there's no reset button, so you will have to remove and reinsert the batteries Nerd
Does anyone else have problems with the navigation buttons on the remote side? At first the left arrow wasn't always responding (out of the box) now the down arrow starts to do the same. Sometimes it doesn't respond and sometimes it doesn't respond at first but then it sends a double input at the second click.
Quartermass Wrote:This thread is pretty massive and I'm unsure if what I'm asking is covered in it, so apologies if this has been covered before.

Is there somewhere I can read a FAQ on these? Mine arrived today and it's less functional than the crappy MCE thing I had before. Sure it feels nicer in my hand, but it doesn't do what I need it to do... I suspect though it's a pretty minor thing to get it up and running properly.

The power button seems to put the PC to sleep rather than turning on or off XBMC. I'd like to be able to be sitting in the living room and turn on XBMC, which runs on my PC in a different room. I have a chain of USB hubs to extend it so that the dongle is under the PC.

The range is poor - and that's a known issue which will get fixed.

I'm not running a nightly build of XBMC (although I'm tempted to fix a few seek issues on certain encodes), is there better support for the Nyxboard on the latest builds?

Really what'd be good is a FAQ, ideally from Pulse Eight.

It's VK_SLEEP that is sent, its a power button for the PC rather than to control XBMC, the intention was always that you would want to hibernate the PC rather than shut it down, O.S. are moving in the direction of sleeping instead of being powered off and cold booted.
Malard Wrote:It's VK_SLEEP that is sent, its a power button for the PC rather than to control XBMC

But this key can be disabled, right?

Wouldn't want anybody accidentally putting the combined file-, web-, mail- and FTP-server to sleep, just because it is also used for Mediacenter. (Hey - it's a I3 - it's got plenty of power...).

FFY