Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Opening it up will probably mean that you can't send it back to get a fully working replacement. So I wouldn't try that.
Greetings XBMC community! I just received my pre-ordered remote after several month of delay. I was really looking forward to try this remote and I loved the minimalistic button layout and remote size since it was announced so therefore I didn’t hesitate and pre-ordered it even with the high shipping costs to Sweden/Europe.

Unfortunately it has some serious quality issues, something that I wasn’t expecting form a MOTOROLA device, if this was a cheap third party Chinese brand it would be understandable and even acceptable.

1. Serious range issues as reported previously by many other users. Maximum of 0.5meters (1.6 feet) and it loses connection depending on where you are directing it. The range is exactly the same in both RF and IR mode (a few centimeters better in RF mode). Sometimes button inputs won’t register directly and after a few seconds it will register multiple times resulting in “key-tapping”. This is not a PC-spec-hardware issue at my end since I have tested this remote with several PC’s, my main HTPC, laptops and work-servers in my home and all with the same range issue.

2. I noticed that the soft plastic coating on the edges of the backside of the remote was peeling off; at first I thought that it was dirt or something and I used a soft cotton textile to clean it and it started to peel off even more to the point that you could see the blank plastic under the coating. I know that this is only a cosmetic issue and not a big deal but since the remote is currently brand new (5min of usage) I can’t even imagine how it will look like after some daily usage. Again I did not expect these kind of QC cosmetic issue on a MOTOROLA branded remote.

I own several IR and RF remotes and even the built in IR receiver and remote on my HTPC has much better range (~3-4x) not to mention my other RF and Bluetooth remotes (both with minimum of 6-10m range). I didn’t have any high hopes or unrealistic expectations for this remote I was just expecting it to work as a normal RF remote. I still think that the minimalistic button layout and size of this remote is lovely but I can’t help to feel very disappointed as a customer.

Even if MOTOROLA fixes the range issues in a near future by sending out new USB dongles it would fix the QC on the paint job. I’m sure that these issues will get looked on for Rev.2 or 3 in the future. It won’t be worth it to send it back in my case due to the high shipping costs from Sweden. I’ve reverted back to my good ol' RF MCE and IR remotes for now and repacked my NYXBoard in it's original packaging. Blush

I must confess that my old remote controlls are huge, ugly and with bad and non-ergonomic button layouts but at least they work perfectly and are reliable. =(
Got my remote today Smile
I really like the feel of the buttons and I don't have any range issues.
The only thing that's annoying me, is the sound it makes when you move it or shake it.
But overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Here is the output from "lsusb -v" if anyone is interested: http://pastebin.com/FnLUn8LC

Edit:
Range is now poor and buttons are not working properly.
Just got mine today. Range on mine is about 2 feet tops. I literally have to get up off my couch and walk next to the PC and hold the remote over the case about 1 ft away for the buttons to work. That alone is a clear showstopper.

I'm coming from a Gyration Air Music remote where I can be upstairs in the bathroom and it'll work same as on the couch, through walls whatever. It behaves like RF.

Given the range issue I clearly haven't had the patience to test other functionality before switching back to my Gyration but there's got to be a fix for this range thing, and the fix needs to be free.
I've tried the remote on several different PCs, and the range varies greatly depending on which PC the dongle is connected to. On a Dell Precision 390 workstation the range is at least 5m (I can't get further away without a wall in the way). On a Revo 3610 the range is about 2m and on a Mac Mini the range is below 1m. I've tested with all the PCs on the same desk, so this is a real difference not just a question of where the PCs are sited.

This seems weird to me. The only thing I can think of is maybe differences in the USB power. I don't have a powered USB hub to hand, otherwise it would be interesting to see if this affected the range.

JR
Just wanted to say thanks for the remote, it works a treat, am sat about 3 metres from the tv, and my dongle is in a UFO USB extender thing, not having this issue with 'noise' of the sensor at all.
Granted the left button sometimes is awkward, but i use the right button as it still gets back to where i want it to be on xbmc, the feel is fine for us, and the keyboard is fine too.

Only issue i have, and i think its with my Amplifier, and that is that i cannot get the remote to learn the remote commands for this.. http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=1

Other than that, we are happy, it has done what u said it would do, and i for one am happy with that.
Thanks
I'm using a USB hub with power supply now just to test if the range improves (as suggested somewhere). It might make a small difference. Where the range was about 1.5 meters it now seems to be about 2 meters.
My addvice for anyone with range problems is to try to achieve line of sight. I know this isn't ideal (and 2.4GHz should easily not need this) but by using a USB extender cable I can sit at the other end of my room now
Bram77 Wrote:I'm using a USB hub with power supply now just to test if the range improves (as suggested somewhere). It might make a small difference. Where the range was about 1.5 meters it now seems to be about 2 meters.

Not a staggering difference, but the fact there is a difference at all is interesting. It's hard to believe the dongle would consume enough power to cause any differences between PCs, but there certainly are differences.

JR
Just got mine today. Seems to work fine. RF mode no meaningfull range problems unless I shove it in the couch or something. IR mode can manage a max angle of 45 degrees to the side of the TV, but I think I can live with that.

Isn't the "Info" button supposed to show TV / movie information? Nothing happens when I press mine. How can I map it properly?
josh4trunks Wrote:My addvice for anyone with range problems is to try to achieve line of sight. I know this isn't ideal (and 2.4GHz should easily not need this) but by using a USB extender cable I can sit at the other end of my room now

My dongle has been in the line of sight from the beginning. When I place it in the back of my Asrock ION 330HT The range is about a meter.
Quote:As I have said previous, I can get 5m away, through a stud wall, and the remote behaves in the exact same way as if I were a few inches away. The left click -EaS- describes is not a "range issue".
Ok.. maybe my issue is different...

These symptoms are from 7 ft away on my recliner.
  • Sometimes I will press a button and it's unresponsive.
  • Sometimes I will press a button and it clicks that button twice
  • Sometimes I will hold a button and it will stop operating during repeated operations
  • Sometimes I tap a button repeatedly and it will miss 3-4 taps
  • it will not operate at 12 feet with line-of-sight
My dongle is attached to a extension cable to put it on top of my entertainment center, right below my TV to give it higher visibility.
Code:
root@XBMCLive:~# lsusb -vv

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 22b8:003b Motorola PCS
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        32
  idVendor           0x22b8 Motorola PCS
  idProduct          0x003b
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Motorola
  iProduct                2 Motorola NYXboard, 2.4GHz device
  iSerial                 3 ??????????
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength          116
    bNumInterfaces          4
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      1 Keyboard
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.11
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      76
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x000a  1x 10 bytes
        bInterval              10
    Interface Descriptor:
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      2 Mouse
        HID Device Descriptor:
          wDescriptorLength     136
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
        bInterval               2
    Interface Descriptor:
      bInterfaceNumber        2
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
        HID Device Descriptor:
          wDescriptorLength     226
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bInterval              10
    Interface Descriptor:
      bInterfaceNumber        3
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bcdHID               1.10
          wDescriptorLength      54
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0020  1x 32 bytes
        bInterval               6
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0020  1x 32 bytes
        bInterval               6
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)
I attributed this to range issues. I must have a defective unit. It does not work. I don't want it. It's junk as-is Should I return it or will there be a software update?
Just got my remote here in Sri Lanka yesterday. After all the hullabaloo on this thread I was almost convinced I had wasted my money.

However I was very pleasantly surprised to find the remote almost everything I had initially expected when I ordered it. It's absolutely great - works very slickly. I cant understand how anyone would expect it to work exactly to their desired specifications out of the box - especially in such a customisable, cross-platform tool as XBMC.

I have no range issues in RF mode, and haven't had a chance to program and test the IR yet.

I do have slight issues with the "left" keypress. In my case I've found that the button press for left needs to be slightly lower than it should be. ie 8 o'clock instead of 9 on the circle. A hard press at "9" will register and a regular press at "8" will too. This is a minor annoyance, but certainly not worth returning the remote over.

One important question: How can I disable the search dialog that pops up in XBMC every time I turn the remote over? The tilt sensor works beautifully but I only really want to use the keyboard if I have pre-selected a typing dialog in XBMC, or outside of XBMC. I hope there's a simple tweak to get rid of this.

All in all, very excited about the remote - can't wait until I'm back with my main HTPC setup to really put it to good use! Thanks Malard Smile

Finally, to answer a question from a few posts back:

KrissO Wrote:Isn't the "Info" button supposed to show TV / movie information? Nothing happens when I press mine. How can I map it properly?

You need to edit the keyboard.nyxboard.xml, or more easily download the version htpcero kindly uploaded here (second link in that post).

Just stick that in your XBMC/userdata/keymaps folder and your info key will work a treat (as well as a few other tweaks like red button for context menu).

You may also have to delete the keyboard.nyxboard.xml from the system/keymaps folder in your XBMC installation directory too (In theory you shouldn't have to do this, but I found XBMC was still reading the default one until I did this. Wierd.)
kiboy6 Wrote:One important question: How can I disable the search dialog that pops up in XBMC every time I turn the remote over? The tilt sensor works beautifully but I only really want to use the keyboard if I have pre-selected a typing dialog in XBMC, or outside of XBMC. I hope there's a simple tweak to get rid of this

It's an option within XBMC to disable or change that. I don't remember exactly where though I'm afraid.
I believe the option is in Settings > System > Input Methods, but yeah changing that made accidentally flipping the remote over alot less annoying.