Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cheapest small 'box' for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
topfs2 Wrote:It can decode 1080p and display it in 720p. It cannot display in 1080p.
Damm, I thought it could decode AND output 1080p. That's a bummer, no ATV2 for me Sad
Superorb Wrote:Damm, I thought it could decode AND output 1080p. That's a bummer, no ATV2 for me Sad

ION is your best bet then
I do hope most people have seen this:
topfs2 Wrote:ION is your best bet then
Yup, I've been eying the ION systems, but the ATV2 would be perfect for a smaller TV like in the bedroom.
Superorb Wrote:Yup, I've been eying the ION systems, but the ATV2 would be perfect for a smaller TV like in the bedroom.

Do you really need 1080p for the bedroom Wink
topfs2 Wrote:Do you really need 1080p for the bedroom Wink
I never said I would be using it for the bedroom Wink We don't even have a TV in there.
Is this like an actual hardware limitation, or something in software that prevents 1080P output? Wondering if somewhere down the road there might be a possibility to output full HD. Same with DD5.1, but I assume that will be figured out soon enough.
Same with dd5.1, i saw a couple of stereo only comments under the apple tv section. Is it accurate that right now that it can only do stereo?

Looking here
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
Right side it says it can pass through dolby digital 5.1

I saw on ars that they leverage a private api for the video playback decoding maybe something similar is needed for audio. I don't know just guessing.

I'm sorta torn here. At this moment the apple tv 2 has several gotchas. No surround sound right now, no 1080p. Does the original apple tv do surround, has to it has optical out, i know it does 1080 with broadcom. That makes the 2nd gens only advantage power usage. Then there is rumor of a refresh this year with the new chip a5. Not sure it is tempting though.

Pertaining the 1080
See these two links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pow..._.28SGX.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A4

Both use a powervr SGX535. Maybe there is a clock difference. Because the ce4100 is in the boxee box and that can do 1080. Can we overclock the atv2 Tongue.
So, do I win Smile
davilla Wrote:So, do I win Smile
AHAHAAHH!!!

I cam here just to check if you had commented. You don't just win, you rob the bank, crack the safe, bring it home and a have a luscious party surrounded by playmates. Laugh
soulnothing Wrote:Same with dd5.1, i saw a couple of stereo only comments under the apple tv section. Is it accurate that right now that it can only do stereo?
No, you just need to set passthrough enabled in advancedsettings. Davilla revealed that it was kept disabled on purpose to narrow the test base (so I understood).
soo what's more powerful? atv2 or atv1 with bcm15?
skynet Wrote:soo what's more powerful? atv2 or atv1 with bcm15?

ATV1 with CrystalHD.
Starstream Wrote:ATV1 with CrystalHD.
Based on? Not saying you are not right, but more info would be welcome. Smile
ashlar Wrote:Based on? Not saying you are not right, but more info would be welcome. Smile

Because the ATV1 with CrystalHD can do 1080p. The ATV2 can "do 1080p" but it will output as 720p.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15