Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cheapest small 'box' for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
bmcclure937 Wrote:Because the ATV1 with CrystalHD can do 1080p. The ATV2 can "do 1080p" but it will output as 720p.
Right. And there is this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=699...stcount=11
Also the CrystalHD can handle other video types H.264/XviD/MPEG2/VC-1 whereas the ATV2 has hardware acceleration only for H.264 and the CPU has to handle everything else so you can run into content you cannot play.

GPU in the original ATV is supposedly still faster then the one in the ATV2 too.

Speaking of small boxes LG's Smart TV box hopefully will be something that XBMC can run on if it's not locked down. The box uses a Broadcom Arm SoC and Davilla mentioned it might have a CrystalHD inside it. Fingers crossed it does as it could be a very nice little XBMC box.
Just bought an ATV2, solely because of the XBMC release. Huge respect to team XBMC for bringing the world's best media player to what is sure to be a wildly popular platform for it.

I've been using XBMC on the XBOX1 now for the better part of a decade. I have three xboxes pulling down media from a home server. It's mostly SD media as I've been collecting it for a long time, but our TV's are small, and I'm not that fussy, though the prospect of being able to play the odd HD video is a treat.

My wife, however, was immediately sold at the prospect of a $100 device that could be attached directly to the back of our wall-mounted TV set -- the Apple TV to is TINY, SILENT, uses less than 1/10th the power of an original XBOX, and weighs only 270 grams, meaning that some command-adhesive strips, double sided tape or even hot glue, would hold it to the back of the TV and there would be no need to have the ugly (but awesome) xbox taking up space in our living room. In fact, there would be no need for any media components of any kind, which will be nice when the kid we're expecting is old enough to destroy stuff.

I don't expect perfection from a release this new, and in terms of UI it still feels a lot rougher than the xbox 1 release I'm used to, but I like where this project is going, a lot. Team XBMC, you've been ultra-reliable over the years. It's high time I made a donation.
poofyhairguy Wrote:You want ION. the Shuttle is the top system currently.

I decided to give my ATV one last chance with Sam's ubuntu USB stick version and it plays SD content perfectly but seems to have quite a few bugs. The UI was so much faster but certain movies froze and lagged even worse then before! I copied the image to the internal HDD just in case but same result, I actually didn't backup the ATV OS because I was convinced it would work. XBMC also crashes a lot with it so might give that a miss.

I decided to install XBMC on my iMAC 27" i5 8GB RAM with Windows 7 x64 and it works perfectly with 1080P. I also installed the version with mediaportal PVR client and can watch live TV through XBMC which is really awesome.

So my question does the shuttle or revo need a crystal HD card to work or will it just work for 1080P like my iMac does? I don't really like the crystal HD card and want to buy a box that will just work. Would you recommend Linux or Windows? How much RAM should I order for it? Thanks for your help.
skynet Wrote:So my question does the shuttle or revo need a crystal HD card to work or will it just work for 1080P like my iMac does? I don't really like the crystal HD card and want to buy a box that will just work. Would you recommend Linux or Windows? How much RAM should I order for it? Thanks for your help.

If by revo/shuttle, you mean an ION based, I have a similar system (asrock Ion 330), used xbmc live based/windows with xbmc as an app, and once set up right (live - i used xbmcfreak iso - pretty much works out of the box - vdpau switched on of course), and the windows version with dxva2 switched on (i use cccp codec pack as i found that worked best for me once set up right).. anyways, the little ion box has played every file i've thrown at it - cpu generally peaks under/around 10%, even on high bitrate 1080p mkv's. No crystal HD needed.
The ION systems are really the way to go if you need 1080p output to the TV, otherwise ATV2 is great for 720p to the TV.
Awesome, thanks for the replies. Now to decide what ION system... Revo, shuttle, asrock..

Hopefully one day the drivers/software will improve enough so that the ATV1 with crystal HD works 100% of the time with any MKV. For now it's great for SD and some 720 content. Sometimes a 1080 works too but not always.
Zotac ND22. Smile
MidnightWatcher Wrote:Zotac ND22. Smile
$270 without RAM or a Hard Drive, I'll pass.
Superorb Wrote:$270 without RAM or a Hard Drive, I'll pass.

250$ for Zotac HD-ID11 with 2Gb mem and 250 Gb HD included and free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856173005
4public Wrote:250$ for Zotac HD-ID11 with 2Gb mem and 250 Gb HD included and free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856173005
Good deal, while it lasts.
Shuttle lets you add a BD player though Wink I wonder how a slim line BD player in one would compare to using the PS3 though? I guess the advantage is if you wanted to use it occassionally to rip BDs to a NAS.
asrock a330ion running xbmclive on 2GB thumbdrive, pick a cheap ITX case and your laughing. 2GB ram is plenty

a330ion chipset fan is somewhat noisy but ok

built mine for $370 including a blu ray 5.25" drive. picked up a second hand Microsoft MCE remote for $20 and i was done.

1080p plays fine
+1 mcan
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15