Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cheapest small 'box' for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
skynet Wrote:So does the ION shuttle play back blu-ray rips as well as the PS3 does?

Yes.
Ok thanks for that advice. Do most people run Windows or Linux on them? I will trawl the forums... How much RAM etc do you recommend. I guess now I will have to wait for Davilla's annoucement before buying one Tongue
That Ion Shuttle is EXPENSIVE!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856101114

You really find 239$ for this expensive?
SpIcEz Wrote:You really find 239$ for this expensive?

Maybe it's just to do with whatever country superorb is in. 239 usd would be a great price if it were converted at that price, that would be £150. But the cheapest you can get it for in the UK is £230, which is 365 usd - less reasonable!
SpIcEz Wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856101114

You really find 239$ for this expensive?
That price does not include a hard drive or RAM, and DDR2 memory is pricey now that DDR3 is mainstream. Plus, reviews complain about overheating problems too.
If you don't mind slow feed grabs from ad-ons and you don't mind playback at 720p max then I would say currently the best bang to buck ratio would be the appleTV looks like they can be had off ebay for 50$ now that the atv2 is out, add another 50$ if u want 1080p thru hardware mod. It will seem slower than it really is just cuz the ram is so small on it.

I really just want a cheap box in the 100$ range that can run xbmc and netflix streaming hopefully the atv2 will do it soon but question the capabilities of the soc inside it. Has anyone put custom firmware on the wd-live? think that might be worth a go and maybe use it as a low power torrent client, I never got around to getting an nslug sounds like the wd-live is basically a more powerful ver. I Dont think xbmc will be possible on it even with the sigma news maybe a backport in the future and the sigma builds will optimize the menus for weaker hardware.
davilla Wrote:these are not the droids you are looking for Smile

That's my problem with this. I read that 2 months ago when you posted it, but when Obi-wan said that, they actually were the droids they were looking for.

You're just so cloak-and-dagger about it all. Eek
waldo22 Wrote:That's my problem with this. I read that 2 months ago when you posted it, but when Obi-wan said that, they actually were the droids they were looking for.

You're just so cloak-and-dagger about it all. Eek

The truth is out there. Those with patience will see
topfs2 Wrote:The truth is out there. Those with patience will see
What kind of patience are we talking about here... 2 days? 2 weeks?
Superorb Wrote:What kind of patience are we talking about here... 2 days? 2 weeks?

I don't know, I'm just saying that some patience is always a good thing to have
Superorb Wrote:What kind of patience are we talking about here... 2 days? 2 weeks?

topfs2 Wrote:I don't know, I'm just saying that some patience is always a good thing to have

Since topfs2 doesn't like to put a timeline on these sorts of thigs I will for you "20 years"..... there happy now you all know and can stop asking the "When" question Rolleyes
Jezz_X Wrote:Since topfs2 doesn't like to put a timeline on these sorts of thigs I will for you "20 years"..... there happy now you all know and can stop asking the "When" question Rolleyes

Hopefully by then, my Hoverboard-HTPC™ will also be pumping out 4320p Tongue
And the poor old Apple tv will still be doing 720p Smile
davilla Wrote:these are not the droids you are looking for Smile

I was coming along some websites, nice hardware-read it was.
http://www.samacharexpress.com/2010/10/a...and-wikis/
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple-TV-...own/3625/1

Is the docking connector something we all need to look out for?

Im looking forward to another "ATV" Season Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15