Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Aeon 2 (Kodi Matrix/Leia/Krypton)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
first impressions STUNNING.
How light do you consider this skin is? Nvidia Shield TV is a pretty powerful device and I wonder if something with lower performance power will be able to move this.

It doest look like an overloaded skin to me but as we can't see what it has inside is difficult to tell.

Thanks and beautiful skin, hopefully some day we will be able to use it.
OMG! It's really happening? When an alpha version will be released?
(2021-11-29, 14:27)ferent Wrote: [ -> ]How light do you consider this skin is? Nvidia Shield TV is a pretty powerful device and I wonder if something with lower performance power will be able to move this.

Depends how fully you exploit all the options, I guess. It makes extensive use of multi-images and encourages often full HD or UHD assets, but on the other hand it deliberately tries to focus on as few assets at any one time as possible. A couple of years back it managed reasonably well on a Pi 3b+ iirc. The plan is to offer customisation of pretty much anything that makes sense, which includes turning off the animations, and I'll optimise the skin itself as much as possible.

My daily drivers for this are a couple of Shield TV Pros, an i5-based NUC and my i7 work PC. It's run without issue on a much older-gen NUC in the past. Once the code is refactored I'll be inviting a handful of testers to better answer your question. 4K@60 does need meaty hardware, though: the Shield was the first piece of hardware that hit that benchmark, though even Estuary chugged at 4K prior to that.
(2021-11-29, 22:26)djh_ Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-11-29, 14:27)ferent Wrote: [ -> ]How light do you consider this skin is? Nvidia Shield TV is a pretty powerful device and I wonder if something with lower performance power will be able to move this.

Depends how fully you exploit all the options, I guess. It makes extensive use of multi-images and encourages often full HD or UHD assets, but on the other hand it deliberately tries to focus on as few assets at any one time as possible. A couple of years back it managed reasonably well on a Pi 3b+ iirc. The plan is to offer customisation of pretty much anything that makes sense, which includes turning off the animations, and I'll optimise the skin itself as much as possible.

My daily drivers for this are a couple of Shield TV Pros, an i5-based NUC and my i7 work PC. It's run without issue on a much older-gen NUC in the past. Once the code is refactored I'll be inviting a handful of testers to better answer your question. 4K@60 does need meaty hardware, though: the Shield was the first piece of hardware that hit that benchmark, though even Estuary chugged at 4K prior to that.

But does it blend?  Big Grin

I know everyone wants to get their grubby hands on it but i just want to drop these Hardware/Library stats for when you are looking for people eventually:

Library

10,712 Movies w/Every artwork imaginable
2,011 TV Shows/76,801 Episodes
8,985 Albums/115,430 Songs

Hardware with Kodi on it

1x i5-10400/1660 Super
2x i3-2130/Integrated
1x Shield TV
1x Shield TV Pro
1x Chromecast w/Google TV
2x FireTV 4K

I have also made mods for the original Aeon back in the day so i am not gonna be asking dumb questions  Wink
What interests me more than anything with your setup is navigating those massive libraries. I never really designed Aeon 2 to handle the most maximalist of libraries but I'm interested to see if it can without compromising its design. Playlists will play a big part of that, but I suspect much of that'll be done in Python as I don't hear great things about Kodi's native support.
OMG you will need two centuries to watch all these content. How much storage does it take?

I'm more into the small details, I've been using kodi more than twelve years ago as I'm a fan of the interfaces, design, colour integration, icons and all this stuff that makes an skin to be proud of the technology and developers that are behind it.

I run kodi in an apple tv 4k plug into a nebula max projector, also in an ODROID-N2.

Quite likely you have better candidates, but here you have collaboration just in case.
(2021-11-30, 00:02)ferent Wrote: [ -> ]OMG you will need two centuries to watch all these content. How much storage does it take?

I'm more into the small details, I've been using kodi more than twelve years ago as I'm a fan of the interfaces, design, colour integration, icons and all this stuff that makes an skin to be proud of the technology and developers that are behind it.

I run kodi in an apple tv 4k plug into a nebula max projector, also in an ODROID-N2.

Quite likely you have better candidates, but here you have collaboration just in case.
Ya i know lol! I actually deleted over 3,000 movies and 400 TV Shows recently... Still lotsa cleaning to do!
(2021-11-29, 23:08)djh_ Wrote: [ -> ]What interests me more than anything with your setup is navigating those massive libraries. I never really designed Aeon 2 to handle the most maximalist of libraries but I'm interested to see if it can without compromising its design. Playlists will play a big part of that, but I suspect much of that'll be done in Python as I don't hear great things about Kodi's native support.

Whatever you need me to test, i'm in. My wife and i watch a lot of TV Smile
Absolutely beautiful. I love the simplicity and elegance of the design!

Reminder to myself: Start to upgrade all media artwork, so that it "qualifies" for the skin...
Am curious, I have amongst my devices a shield pro. My library is stoued on a 4TB hard drive with usb3 port connecting it to my server , an M1 Mac Mini .If I populate my library in any random skin on the shield , estuary for example using an SMB share. The user experience is "awful" , scrolling stutters, artwork can't appear fast enough to keep up as I scroll etc. So only way to use kodi as my library media player is with PKC . Otherwise I would have to use Plex instead of Kodi.
How does your library perform given it's size ?
(2021-11-30, 09:39)M4tt0 Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely beautiful. I love the simplicity and elegance of the design!

Reminder to myself: Start to upgrade all media artwork, so that it "qualifies" for the skin...
A note about the artwork 'requirements': at the moment I'm using multiple sizes for each bit of artwork to work around Kodi's dreadful resizing. While I do allow 50% reductions - as you'd expect when rendering 4K assets at 1080p - any other resizing is actually loading alternative thumbnails. I use batch files accessible from the Windows context menu to simplify all this, but at some point the end user is going to need a companion app to manage all this artwork. One plus is that all the artwork - though Aeon does support vanilla Kodi artwork - is accessed through paths rather than Kodi database associations, so if you lose your entire database for some reason the artwork simply repopulates when you make another.
(2021-11-30, 10:50)ontap Wrote: [ -> ]Am curious, I have amongst my devices a shield pro. My library is stoued on a 4TB hard drive with usb3 port connecting it to my server , an M1 Mac Mini .If I populate my library in any random skin on the shield , estuary for example using an SMB share. The user experience is "awful" , scrolling stutters, artwork can't appear fast enough to keep up as I scroll etc. So only way to use kodi as my library media player is with PKC . Otherwise I would have to use Plex instead of Kodi.
How does your library perform given it's size ?

That latest video is just a single unbroken capture session running from my work PC, so you can see how the library performs there. All our Kodi 'boxes' are linked via gigabit lan to our NAS in the loft, with a separate NUC PC (my eldest's Minecraft server lol) running the database and storing the artwork on its SSD. Before the NUC came along, the database and artwork were also stored on the NAS, and tbh the performance was pretty much the same. It's not a great NAS, either: it's a Synology DS415play which has a paltry 1gb of RAM (which is why I wasn't comfortable with it running the database).

Artwork does take a second or two to appear when you first access it, but then Kodi caches it and it's instant forever. Hardly a surprise as the source artwork is 4K PNG files, albeit optimised through pngquant.

In all I'm very happy with the performance at the moment - which is to say I'd be very unhappy if there were hitches or delays. And this is before I've in any way optimised the number of database calls Kodi is making. Aeon has it constantly querying for paths and metadata on top of Kodi's usual shenanigans and the completely redundant calls make by a couple of addons I haven't minimised and integrated into Aeon's helper addon, all across three or four active Kodi devices - so I'm hoping there are plenty of material gains left to be had, especially on lower-end hardware or networks.
excellent , I should have mentioned my Shield and my server (M1 mac mini 8gb ram) are both using wired lan.
Really love the minimal design and my artwork is ready. ;-)

You mentioned the picture section is database powered, did you coded this your self? I noticed the captions for the gallery images, how did you added them?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39