Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
bleze Wrote:"Experimental CrystalHD support added to the Apple TV image, at the moment no support for FullHD content"

I'll be holding out a little longer then, to replace my ASRock with my ATV

I haven't tried 1080p, but 720 .mkv works better under OpenELEC than anything else I've had running on the AppleTV (including XBMC running on original OSX OS, Ubuntu & minimal Ubuntu releases). Faster to load and play and next to no frame drops that I've encountered.

I assume "FullHD" means 1080p bluray rips, which I haven't been able to play on anything else anyway.

If that's "experimental" support, I can't wait for a full release candidate build Cool
bass63 Wrote:Guys, i'm trying to install OpenELEC on my ATV using this guide http://unstdio.org/openelec-on-atv/ and i get an error

cannot open '/boot/KERNEL' : stream error

any idea how to fix this? Thanks!

I had this issue to start with, but I got it working it by reusing the second partition from the patchstick instead of deleting & recreating it (should be 220MB FAT32 and contain patchstick.sh and the "payload" data), and editing the content of patchstick.sh instead of deleting/replacing it, and then copying SYSTEM and KERNEL files across.

I get the feeling that the stream error is caused by incorrect permissions or /boot/ being mounted incorrectly.
fistacorpse Wrote:So guys, give me some feedback about what you'd like - I can upload the USB image, it's about 1.5GB compressed and is under the size of a 4GB stick by a few hundred MB, but I have no where to host it.

This will be very nice. Smile
fistacorpse Wrote:I had this issue to start with, but I got it working it by reusing the second partition from the patchstick instead of deleting & recreating it (should be 220MB FAT32 and contain patchstick.sh and the "payload" data), and editing the content of patchstick.sh instead of deleting/replacing it, and then copying SYSTEM and KERNEL files across.

I get the feeling that the stream error is caused by incorrect permissions or /boot/ being mounted incorrectly.

Thanks! But how can i create 3rd Storage partition then? I can't resize original Patchstick one ;(
bass63 Wrote:Thanks! But how can i create 3rd Storage partition then? I can't resize original Patchstick one ;(

Are you using Windows or Mac?

I dunno about Mac, but the Patchstick image you create using the Windows version of atvusb-creator, atv-win, creates an image with only 2 partitions:

1: 25MB hfs+ partition, contains the AppleTV boot information
2: 220MB fat32 partition, contains the boot script and "payload" data

I left these as-is, and created two new partitions:
3: 2GB ext3 partition, for OpenELEC/XBMC data
4: 1GB linux swap partition

You shouldn't need to resize partition 2. Even though it is bigger than needed, I found that it's a lot easier to leave it as is and be happy to get it working Rolleyes Just delete the existing payload data, copy over SYSTEM and KERNEL and modify patchstick.sh and you should be good to go. You don't need to add the swap partition, but if you do, you need to activate it when OpenELEC boots using "swapon /dev/sdb4" over SSH (the SSH username/password is root/openelec)

The 3rd partition is where OpenELEC installs XBMC to, so this is where all of your thumbnails and library databases are stored (the mounted path for XBMC is /storage/.xbmc/)

newsilentsilver Wrote:This will be very nice. Smile
More than happy to do it if someone can give me some storage to upload to Big Grin
fistacorpse Wrote:Are you using Windows or Mac?

I dunno about Mac, but the Patchstick image you create using the Windows version of atvusb-creator, atv-win, creates an image with only 2 partitions:

1: 25MB hfs+ partition, contains the AppleTV boot information
2: 220MB fat32 partition, contains the boot script and "payload" data

I left these as-is, and created two new partitions:
3: 2GB ext3 partition, for OpenELEC/XBMC data
4: 1GB linux swap partition

You shouldn't need to resize partition 2. Even though it is bigger than needed, I found that it's a lot easier to leave it as is and be happy to get it working Rolleyes Just delete the existing payload data, copy over SYSTEM and KERNEL and modify patchstick.sh and you should be good to go. You don't need to add the swap partition, but if you do, you need to activate it when OpenELEC boots using "swapon /dev/sdb4" over SSH (the SSH username/password is root/openelec)

I have both Mac and PC. I'm making patchstick using ATV-Win as we speak, but how do I create ext3 partition under Win7Huh Thanks in advance for all your help!
Ah, yeah, I should have said. I used atv-win in Windows to create the patchstick, and then booted into Linux using an Ubuntu LiveCD and used that to create the extra partitions and edit partition 2.

If you haven't used Ubuntu before, you can download the .iso, burn it to a CD and reboot your computer and it'll boot up into a fully usable Linux environment Smile
I didn't used Linux yet to create additional partitions, but tried to boot "as is" since it should load at least KERNEL, but still got same error ;(

Any ideas?
I dunno then sorry Sad I fixed it by re-imaging and starting again, but if you can't get it working then maybe you can give Linux a try (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download), or otherwise wait until I can upload the USB image file I have.
fistacorpse Wrote:I dunno then sorry Sad I fixed it by re-imaging and starting again, but if you can't get it working then maybe you can give Linux a try (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download), or otherwise wait until I can upload the USB image file I have.

create your own opensource project on google code:

http://code.google.com/hosting/createProject

2 gigs of space oughta be enough for your 'project'
fistacorpse Wrote:I dunno then sorry Sad I fixed it by re-imaging and starting again, but if you can't get it working then maybe you can give Linux a try (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download), or otherwise wait until I can upload the USB image file I have.

Thanks for all the help! I guess I'll wait for your image (or try another USB drive maybe?)
maartenst Wrote:create your own opensource project on google code:

http://code.google.com/hosting/createProject

2 gigs of space oughta be enough for your 'project'

Created a project, went to upload a file, and:

"Max upload size: 100 MB"

Sad
fistacorpse Wrote:Created a project, went to upload a file, and:

Sad
sorry, that sucks...
http://www.filedropper.com/ might be a good one then?
fistacorpse Wrote:Created a project, went to upload a file, and:

Sad

You could create new Dropbox account, upload image with desktop client (upload through web limited to 300 MB per file), copy/paste public link here and then uninstall Dropbox.

Please please please Wink can hardly wait! Wink
Well, thanks very much to Tcalp, I am currently uploading the USB image to RapidShare. I have had to split it up into 4x500MB files, with a total file size of 1.7GB.

I don't have the best connection, so it's going to take a while for me to get it all uploaded, but I'll let you know as soon as it's finished!

I'll also try and get it up to Dropbox as well, once RapidShare has finished.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14