Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Hi jelleeelco,

jelleeelco Wrote:Hi Stephan,

I was so smart to break the IDE cable of my apple TV. Now I wanted to take out the HDD anyway, and run just from USB stick.

However with Pins image I can't boot without the HDD. Will this be possible with your image?

it should be possible, because the image needs no access to any other drive if booting from USB stick/ USB hdd. But i have this not tested with an really removed HDD.

I would prefer to replace this cable, it should be not very hard to get such cable, it should be an ordinary 44pin cable for 2,5" HDDs like this ones:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/44pinide
http://shop.varia-store.com/product_info...15-cm.html

etc... (google for 44pin ide cable)
Hi Stephan,

I looked for a cable as well. However, it seems that apple has put in a custom made cable. It's not a standard 44 pin cable. The connector to the motherboard is slightly different (a normal cable is just a tad too wide at the end)
I read someone used a cable special for the amiga motherboard, a so-called 44pin mini cable, but haven't had any confirmation that it worked.

In the other thread Davilla and Sam already helped me out, by point to change the entry in the bootlist from sdb3 to sda3. I'm stuck right now in that I don't have permissions to change the file (booting a normal pc with ubuntu live cd).
openelec.tv Wrote:I am trying actually to have an working sound over hdmi together with latest kernel, latest xorg and latest software (OpenELEC.tv everytime uses latest software, and it makes no sense for me to use 2-3 year old software only to support ATV).

I have an working sound over hdmi now since some days. more info about this you will find here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83057

Thanks a lot for the update :-) Can't wait to test it !
jelleeelco Wrote:Hi Stephan,

I looked for a cable as well. However, it seems that apple has put in a custom made cable. It's not a standard 44 pin cable. The connector to the motherboard is slightly different (a normal cable is just a tad too wide at the end)
I read someone used a cable special for the amiga motherboard, a so-called 44pin mini cable, but haven't had any confirmation that it worked.

In the other thread Davilla and Sam already helped me out, by point to change the entry in the bootlist from sdb3 to sda3. I'm stuck right now in that I don't have permissions to change the file (booting a normal pc with ubuntu live cd).

You must become god with "sudo"
davilla Wrote:You must become god with "sudo"

is it then so difficult to change the boot file once it's written to the USB stick? I can't get it to work.... It keeps on telling me that the file cannot be opened for writing.
See other thread.
jelleeelco Wrote:is it then so difficult to change the boot file once it's written to the USB stick? I can't get it to work.... It keeps on telling me that the file cannot be opened for writing.

Where's the post of the command with error message ?
openelec.tv Wrote:Hi,

if you want you can help a bit with various things :-)

If you would like some help I can donate a little spare time. (Super busy, but i'm sure you know how that goes) What issues are you running into?
Is there a way we can get an alpha version of the one you are working for the Apple TV?
You could rename the thread until you actually upload a working image with Crystal HD and HDMI audio support. Otherwise, it is not a success yet Tongue
reddeath Wrote:You could rename the thread until you actually upload a working image with Crystal HD and HDMI audio support. Otherwise, it is not a success yet Tongue

Now what good does that do?
They had XBMC running on the ATV - that is a success.
They made no mention in the title of CHD and HDMI Audio.
I have a question about Nouveau drivers and dds....

I understand that there has been some licensing issue with the open sourcers implementing the nvidia dds compression stuff - I don't know about anyone else, but this has been one if the single greatest features in the newer releases of XBMC - i'd hate to lose it! Makes browsing through media on the ATV totally smooth even with all the fanart goodness enabled...

So I guess my question would be: do the speed improvements in using a newer and more lightweight distro outweigh the loss of browsing improvements introduced by the dds compression scheme?

Jim
My guess would be not a chance in hell. CPU is just that slow. Distro can't change that fact
deraaij Wrote:Hi all,

Today I got Openelec.tv, a fast booting and small embedded XBMC distribution (< 90MB), to work on the ATV! (For more information about openelec.tv see http://www.openelec.tv)

I used the OpenELEC.tv - generic - 32bit snapshot and tested it using the atv-bootloader. It worked directly, currently we (Stephan from Openelec.tv) are busy making and testing a dedicated ATV image. So all the ATV stuff (like remote, Crystal HD etc) is included and all stuff which is not necessary is excluded.

Now (without the Crystal HD) the menu works great and some 720P movies i tested play oke. Let's wait for the crystal HD support.

CPU usage in GUI +/- 11%:

From the second kernel boot it boots in 10-15 sec. We are trying to skip the double boot.

When we made some more progress and a dedicated ATV image i will make a howto.

Regards,

Mark

PS For genereal help, news and updates regarding OpenELEC.tv: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61340

Hello!

I was wondering if you would be able to provide some instructions for creating a bootable Apple TV USB stick running the generic Intel OpenELEC image?

I found this article, but found it difficult to follow due to the translation issues:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...rmd%3Divfd

Edit: or, even better and if you are feeling generous, an .img image of a working ATV installation :-)

Thanks muchly.
any updates on this?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14