Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
pmcd Wrote:It sees the Crystal HD but playback is in slow motion. I also can't get sound to work. Maybe have to use that plughw thing.

It does boot very fast.

So I guess there's the dns issue ( that is what prevented me from changing my city in weather), audio ( which may be trivial) and video driver. I used an 8gig flash drive. It puts the swap at the end.

Interesting.

philip

Same for me. CrystalHD is on in menu but not working. However I was able to start the audio.
Boot is really fast.
Not able to change DNS.

Keep going!
I got it going, the menus are very snappy.

720 played terribly though, really slow motion, and once I stopped it all the menus then became slower, infact the whole interface got slower and slower till it was like treacle. I restarted and it was fine except text andfolder images have a tendency to briefly flash on and off in random sequences.
garyi Wrote:I got it going, the menus are very snappy.

720 played terribly though, really slow motion, and once I stopped it all the menus then became slower, infact the whole interface got slower and slower till it was like treacle. I restarted and it was fine except text andfolder images have a tendency to briefly flash on and off in random sequences.

Did you update to beta 2? I got the audio working by setting the output to hdmi ( as opposed to plughw .... on Sam's) and it played 720p stuff almost ok. It is still very choppy and drops frames. The CHD driver doesn't seem to be as good as that used in Sam's image. Playback of the same files using Sam's image is perfect.

Still, this is progressing nicely. Networking working really well and the auto update feature is very nice.

So, that leaves the Crystal HD driver.

All very neat. It boots very fast.

philip
I loaded the crystalubunto stick instead. Its actually very old, the XBMC is from march, but by far and away its the best result I have had with the crystal card. The latest Dhama is just a disaster on ATV, nearly unusable and the cyrstal card does not appear to work at all. On this stick though its easily as good as my 2ghz mini.

ONly trouble is I have no idea about linux and cannot fathom how to upload skins etc. I dont have enough permissions.
garyi Wrote:I loaded the crystalubunto stick instead. Its actually very old, the XBMC is from march, but by far and away its the best result I have had with the crystal card. The latest Dhama is just a disaster on ATV, nearly unusable and the cyrstal card does not appear to work at all. On this stick though its easily as good as my 2ghz mini.

ONly trouble is I have no idea about linux and cannot fathom how to upload skins etc. I dont have enough permissions.

If you use the latest image from Sam, you will find it works great. It's Dharma, 720p is almost perfect, etc .... It's still in testing so I don't know how changing skins would be. I use Dharma 10.0 under OSX and it's pretty good, though not as good as under linux. The easiest way to image the usb stick for me was to use terminal in osx and run dd . That yields a 4gig drive with 3 partitions. The only issue I have is getting the 3rd partition to fill up my 16gig flash drive, though I don't know why I bother since I just stream stuff anyway and don't need a lot of local storage. Just dd sam's image to a 4gig flash drive. There is that minor issue with eth0 and eth1, but apart from that it's really quite impressive. If XBMC got to this state under OSX that would be wonderful.

philip
Hi Philip, I read the sams beta image thread, but I don't see a link anywhere, so have not tried that one.
Can someone tell me where addons get placed in the OpenELEC release for ATV ?
I installed XOT-Uzg and need to add channels manually but I cant find the source directory.

It is installed according to:
Quote:The more recent builds (july 2010) of XBMC support Addons Repositories. There is also an official XOT-Uzg.v3 repository that holds the most recent XOT-Uzg.v3 build. In order to use it you must download the repository and install it in XBMC using the "install from zip" option in the Addon Manager. After installing it, there will be a new XOT-Uzg.v3 repository in the XBMC Addon Manager.
After a little bit testing, the update to 0.90.2 with the USB image works fine some times ago. But now, the autoupdate to 0.90.3 fails every time. I get the update is available and installing ticker every time I boot and get a big red (X) before getting the menu. After a while I get black console screen with a lot of error messages.

How can I update manually?
garyi Wrote:Hi Philip, I read the sams beta image thread, but I don't see a link anywhere, so have not tried that one.

Hmm ... I just followed a note to his twitter and managed to get it from there. Perhaps it's down until the end of January? Did you get it?

philip
*self quote*

newsilentsilver Wrote:After a little bit testing, the update to 0.90.2 with the USB image works fine some times ago. But now, the autoupdate to 0.90.3 fails every time. I get the update is available and installing ticker every time I boot and get a big red (X) before getting the menu. After a while I get black console screen with a lot of error messages.

How can I update manually?

Same problems with the new 0.90.4. Am I the only one who have problems with updating the USB image version? Sad
for all with problems with CrystalHD support on our images:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=701...tcount=784
sraue Wrote:for all with problems with CrystalHD support on our images:

WOOOOWWWWW now it plays 1080p movies great here!!!!!

Thnx!
sraue Wrote:for all with problems with CrystalHD support on our images:

I've tried with my atv 1st gen and composite video output....not working...
will it be implemented in the future?
*Bump*

I noticed beta 6 is out Big Grin

Any chance of getting some updated instructions on how to install this to the ATV1 HDD? Wink

P.S. I know component video isn't working at the moment - will it ever be? Or is that not a priority?

EDIT: Been testing this out (beta 6).

I have to say that I will be reverting to Sam's (and pin87's) minimal Crystalbuntu image Sad

Reason:

Quote:OpenElec:
Memory: 150MB
CPU: 22-23%
RAM in use: 38%

Crystalbuntu:
Memory: 164MB
CPU: 17-8%
RAM in use: 32%

Crystalbuntu remained snappy when navigating through menus, whereas with Openelec, there was a noticeable lag :/

One thing to note is that the build on Crystalbuntu is from March 2010, and on Openelec it is from January 2011. This might be part of the reason for much lower performance?

In any case, since this is a media centre, of course stability is more important than the latest build. For me, Crystalbuntu is stable and works fast, so I will stick with that.

Just thought some feedback would be useful Smile
joncgde2 Wrote:I have to say that I will be reverting to Sam's (and pin87's) minimal Crystalbuntu image Sad
Reason:

OpenElec:
Memory: 150MB
CPU: 22-23%
RAM in use: 38%

Crystalbuntu:
Memory: 164MB
CPU: 17-8%
RAM in use: 32%

Crystalbuntu remained snappy when navigating through menus, whereas with Openelec, there was a noticeable lag :/

One thing to note is that the build on Crystalbuntu is from March 2010, and on Openelec it is from January 2011. This might be part of the reason for much lower performance?

In any case, since this is a media centre, of course stability is more important than the latest build. For me, Crystalbuntu is stable and works fast, so I will stick with that.

Just thought some feedback would be useful Smile

as you can see, the difference is not much but:

- OpenELEC has much faster startup times, also on ATV
- OpenELEC uses the nouveau driver, we dont must stick on old kernels, xorg and other software
- OpenELEC has a working Audio over HDMI
- OpenELEC uses released DHARMA
- OpenELEC can be configured much easyer
- OpenELEC has a very good working automatic updater (not only for XBMC)
- OpenELEC is much smaller

i have no problem if its not the right system for you, also (because) i dont see any questions or bug reports regarding this or any help from you (for example how you have solved your install problems etc...).
Only for information: Sams and Pins image is based on ubuntu, packaged by hundreds or thousands devs, OpenELEC is build from scratch, packaged by one dev.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14