Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] OpenELEC.tv Linux Distro on Apple TV - Success!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
I'm starting loosing interest in this thread...Rolleyes

I mean, if the main problem is the HDMI Audio, can we at least test an img with optical audio or RCAHuh

I think providing a working version of openelec.tv for ATV with a known HDMI audio bug will be at least a starting point to test if there are more issues...

saying that, thanks for let my 1st gen ATV survive in my living room Smile
bleze Wrote:My guess would be not a chance in hell. CPU is just that slow. Distro can't change that fact

Slow compared to what? Most media players are not speed demons although they benefit from hardware access to graphics and so on. I keep seeing this slow thing being mentioned. Perhaps when the cpu has to do everything 1GHz is slow, but I keep seeing 500MHz in these media players ( I realize they are different processors).

Anyway, I don't really find the ATV slow, not in the Finder, not in Linux ATV and Dharma beta2 seems fine with my old Crystal HD card.

My new ATV's are faster but it's not night and day.

philip
pmcd Wrote:Slow compared to what? Most media players are not speed demons although they benefit from hardware access to graphics and so on. I keep seeing this slow thing being mentioned. Perhaps when the cpu has to do everything 1GHz is slow, but I keep seeing 500MHz in these media players ( I realize they are different processors).

Anyway, I don't really find the ATV slow, not in the Finder, not in Linux ATV and Dharma beta2 seems fine with my old Crystal HD card.

My new ATV's are faster but it's not night and day.

philip

My answer was to "do the speed improvements in using a newer and more lightweight distro outweigh the loss of browsing improvements introduced by the dds compression scheme?"

Decoding large JPG's take time. Having a little more CPU resources because of a distro change will not change this fact. Using DDS and thereby the GPU to decode graphics is way way faster than any few % gained in a lighter distro. These are my thoughts
bleze Wrote:My answer was to "do the speed improvements in using a newer and more lightweight distro outweigh the loss of browsing improvements introduced by the dds compression scheme?"

Decoding large JPG's take time. Having a little more CPU resources because of a distro change will not change this fact. Using DDS and thereby the GPU to decode graphics is way way faster than any few % gained in a lighter distro. These are my thoughts

Yes, this is exactly the question. Pin's image is super-snappy on the internal drive with dds enabled. If a more light-weight image like openELEC using Nouveau cannot replicate the browsing speed improvements bought about by dds compression, then it's not for me.... but you could always have openELEC using the nVidia drivers and sacrifice HDMI audio I suppose.... but I'm not sure this would be great for me....

Jim
Why are we discussing trading off DDS compression for faster browsing with the OpenELEC build? We can have both, no?
Philmatic Wrote:Why are we discussing trading off DDS compression for faster browsing with the OpenELEC build? We can have both, no?

I think openELEC is built using a later kernel, which means the old nVidia drivers that allow audio over HDMI don't work. Therefore to preserve HDMI audio on the newer kernel, then the alternative OSS Nouveau drivers need to be used. However, I thought that they (i.e. the guys behind Nouveau) are not legally able to implement DDS compression due to some licensing malarky (although I may be wrong about that, which is why I asked the question in the first place)....

Assuming I'vegot that right, then you could keep DDS compression with the openELEC build, but then you'd lose HDMI audio.....

Unless I've got that totally arse-about-face? Smile

Jim
I've been able to alter a patchstick to boot OpenELEC-generic.i386-devel-20101030-r4432 on my Apple TV: the system freeze when XBMC (or maybe X) is started. I'm waiting for an "official ATV-ready" release of the OpenELEC project.

About the problem "audio over HDMI" and the necessity to use the OSS Nouveau drivers: I think that in the meanwhile the project could release a version with the commercial-drivers (without audio over HDMI) and, when the Nouveau drivers are ready, they should let the possibility to use the commercial-drivers (that have better performances).

Thanks for your work.
I have been watching this thread with great interest. I have been running Sam's image for ages with HDMI audio, but no DDS. A lighter, faster booting external drive option would be wonderful. I recently enabled DDS under OSX and, WOW! What a game changer! The improvement to the interface with DDS is remarkable. If anyone is asking, I would vote for DDS for now and HDMI audio later if it gets sorted out.

A big thanks to all the big brained people who make this happen for little folk.
bigjuggler Wrote:I have been watching this thread with great interest. I have been running Sam's image for ages with HDMI audio, but no DDS. A lighter, faster booting external drive option would be wonderful. I recently enabled DDS under OSX and, WOW! What a game changer! The improvement to the interface with DDS is remarkable. If anyone is asking, I would vote for DDS for now and HDMI audio later if it gets sorted out.

A big thanks to all the big brained people who make this happen for little folk.

Sorry, what is DDS?
fistacorpse Wrote:Sorry, what is DDS?

Hehehe - glad it's not just me thinking that! Last I heard it was a backup system using DAT tapes, but I imagine this is slightly different...

It's an image format. Compared to .jpg it's a larger file size, but less compression.

The net result is that it's easier for the CPU to load the image. For a relatively low-powered box like the AppleTV, this results in dramatically faster GUI experience when using fanart.

DDS is available as a feature in any of the Dharma betas. No need to wait on this project.
ahh gotcha. thanks :-)

defiler Wrote:Hehehe - glad it's not just me thinking that! Last I heard it was a backup system using DAT tapes, but I imagine this is slightly different...

I know your question has been answered already, but here's Jmarshalls thread about it.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59115
This is my point: people were clamouring for this ultra-lightweight install, but does it really outperform the existing Hardy+Dharma+CrystalHD+DDS? There's a point where you're on the treadmill for newer and newer kernels, and graphics drivers, and stuff, when it gives you no better performance (and in the case of the newer nVidia stuff actually loses you features).....

Anyway, we'll see how it shakes out. There's been no further word from the guys working on this, has there?

Jim
Nope still waiting with a brand new Apple TV for something to test Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14